Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: TIGSource Assemblee competition winners and more awesome free games!  (Read 1728 times)

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile

There's a bunch of games which play like roguelikes here, I know a lot of us guys have been playing number 3 together lately.
http://tigsource.com/articles/2010/02/07/assemblee-competition-results

1. Bitworld 72 votes (7.9%) – slick 2d/3d roguelike
2. Dungeons of Fayte 63 votes (6.9%) – co-op action/RPG
3. Realm of the Mad God 57 votes (6.2%) – massively multiplayer fantasy
4. Mr. Kitty’s Quest 51 votes (5.6%) – explorey action adventure game
5. BirdyWorld 38 votes (4.2%) – Zelda-like where players create the world as they explore
6. Backworld 33 votes (3.6%) – platformer about painting
7. Tiny Crawl 33 votes (3.6%) – streamlined room-based RPG
8. s h i n e 32 votes (3.5%) – survival horror
9. The King, the Queen and the Jester 29 votes (3.2%) – first person dungeon crawl
10. Great Dungeon in the Sky 27 votes (3%) – platform game with many characters

1UP's list of 101 best free games for 2010
http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3177782

Thing's mad addicting yo.

Scy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: TIGSource Assemblee competition winners and more awesome free games!
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 04:59:23 pm »

The winning game (Bitworld) has a reference to Dwarf Fortress at the very beginning. Made me chuckle.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 05:01:25 pm »

I've been playing Dungeons of Fayte a bit, being a Necromancer is fun.
Later Imma try playing it co-op.

Bitworld is what I'm going to try next.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 04:30:52 am »

Hmm. Neat game. Could use some fleshing out. Beat it on the second try as a necromancer. I see the princess maker elements, but the game is over a bit too soon to really explore much.

I'm surprised the dog and skeleton are friends game didn't make the list. It was cute.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 07:43:35 am »

If you guys play Realm of the Mad God, 4chan's /tg/ and some of the goons are on Ogre server. It should be obvious when you find them. They've been mostly helpful.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 04:49:07 pm »

Is there a way to necromance it up? or is Necromancer just a more powerful version of adept?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 04:55:42 pm »

Is there a way to necromance it up? or is Necromancer just a more powerful version of adept?
Just more powerful spells when on a corpse is all. However, the corpse-spells home in a target when a few tiles away from it. It is pretty much an upgrade.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 07:09:15 pm »

The non-corpse spells can pierce, too, right?

I'm playing it single-player at the moment, just finished two games.

First game I didn't realize that the game gives you a single base class, as opposed to letting you choose your starting class - thought it'd just assigned me as a fighter or something.  Like Ragnarok Online's Novice, I guess.  So I decided to just go with a fighter-type - went barbarian, who mostly farmed during non-dungeons - more fort and strength means higher damage and padding for when I get hit.  Also noticed charge wasn't stopped if I killed whatever I hit, which was awesome.  ...It DOES get stopped if I hit something with my body and not my sword, though, which is annoying if I get backed into a corner - spent my adventures the Manor, and my last in the Wastes.

So anyway, killed the final boss with only a little of my health left.  Charge is bloody great for swarming and those damned seal-off-the-area things.  Post-herodom I apparently went around the kingdom punching guys, which is pretty cool.

Second I tried to go as a mage.  I probably shouldn't have adventured so much in the forest, though... everything there is fast as hell.  I managed to clear pretty far in, but eventually I found skeletons with helmets that took way too much to bring down, and then soon after that I got sealed into a room that spammed like eight laser-spectres at me.  They backed me into a corner, and then promptly pewed the crap out of me.

Mages REALLY need teammates.  :(

Lost to Bone King, too.  Skeletons from behind and homing skulls from the front kinda went bad for me.  After the whole thing I apparently dragged myself off into the boonies and hid in bookcases forever.  Not cool.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 08:22:00 pm »

Mages REALLY need teammates.

I think the trick with mages is to have lots of intelligence. Spells seems to have "levels" to them. For example, as a basic necromancer, if you press the spell key you get a little blue bolt. But if you hold it down a bit, you get a big beam spell that penetrates through all monsters in the line.

But...once you get your intelligence to 100, that beam spell becomes the new base level you get without holding it down. Being able to spam a spell that will hit everything in a line makes a huge difference. Presumably at higher levels of intelligence, the heat-seeking effect would become the base line, too.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 09:15:07 pm »

But I had enough Int that I was casting the second charge as my base spell - I think it was a blue ball or something?  I needed something to keep stuff off my back and to rescue me from swarms.  Or healing.