Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Very In-Depth Games  (Read 4081 times)

LemonMan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Very In-Depth Games
« on: February 08, 2010, 12:27:56 pm »

Hey guys an gals,

I was just wondering what other incredibly in-depth games there are out there. Like Dwarf Fortress obviously. I just love dwarf fort because of it's incredibly complexity and all the options it gives me.
Another game I was thinking of was morrowind, I loved the depth of the game as well.

But anyways my question was,
What other games are there out there that have that sense of depth that I might be looking for?

quintin522

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLYING_SPAGHETTI_MONSTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Very In-Depth Games
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 12:55:46 pm »

Read the thread on Aurora
"I can't bleed to death now, I don't have time!"
Urist McExplorer, bolding going where no dwarf has OH GAWD THE MAGMA IT BURNSSSss..

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 12:57:15 pm »

depends what u mean by complexity, alot of roguelikes are incredably complex in that if you want to stay alive you have to think very carefully about what u are doing and theres a ton of things to remember. But there arnt usually dozens of options to play with like the two games u have mentioned.

Try incursion http://www.incursion-roguelike.net/ as it has an incredably comple character design system. In the next version (due in a minimum of 15months) it will be open world sort of like DF.
Gearhead http://www.gearheadrpg.com/ has quite alot of options too.

X3 and its sequals and prequals has alot of stuff an options in it, and can absorb your life. This a reasonably modern game (2006 i think), and requires a PC of fairly modern performance. Its a spaceship game (or elite clone). The compleity comes in that you can by and build almost anything that exists in the game as well as fly your own ship. so you can accumulate trading space stations and a fleet of ai control wingmen and conquer systems from your cockpit. http://www.egosoft.com/games/x3/info_en.php

Combat missions (series but combat mission 2 b2b is probs the best) are a series of military simulators/strategies. U can field hundreds of differing units and the game makes very comple calculations. Its turnbased/real time. u and your opponent (ai or human) each have a force of troops and tanks etc. U issue orders like move run or crawl here, shoot this etc and then hit play and both sides moves are carried out simultaniously. The in turn AI is pretty good, troops will shoot back if they are unepectadly ambushed, or retreat etc, sometimes disobey your orders. When a tank shoots another tank, it considers the distance, silouette, crew experience, size and quality of tanks gun, enemy tanks armour thickness, armour angle and weather conditions. if the shot hits the tank it might glance off, and could potentially hit somehting else and damage it. http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=51&Itemid=90

although all the games ive mentioned are complex, they dont really come close to DF, nothing does (laments)

all the games ive mentioned have cropped up on this forum at least once, some have their own thread, if its a complex game its probably talked about somewhere on this forum.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 01:00:05 pm »

I believe they mean complex, as in a high level of detail.

IVAN ( a roguelike), allows you to get limbs made of banana peels, or other objects :D
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 01:16:19 pm »

First of all, define depth a bit better.

Second of all, XCOM has depth. You protect the world from aliens by shooting down UFOs and sending in the ground units to clean up.

On one level, you have to deal with logistics, ie. money and resources:
You can't just get by on the gear you get in the beginning, so you need to research stuff, and reverse engineer alien technology.

Once you do that, you also need to actually produce the stuff, since markets don't suddenly stock up whenever a secret organisation does some research.

Did I mention that scientists and engineers need to be paid? They are typically the biggest hole in your pocket, and must be sustained.

The world government pays you a decent amount based on your performance, but it never is enough later on. (A listening post that is made from an elevator and detection hardware costs 2mil. 2/5ths of the cash paid per month given the starting rate. After maintanence costs, you'll be lucky to keep the cash.)

Plus, a government might decide to help the aliens, and cut off your funds. You need at least one government that supports you.

Then we get to the final, most important resource. Elerium 115, a substance so important, that only the aliens have it. Good luck shooting their UFOs when you might blow up their unobtainium.

Don't get me started on the tactics your ground forces could use.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 01:24:13 pm »

Any classic Adventure game is also rather in-depth too. Some puzzles can require even the most obscure detail to get through them. Eric the Unready comes to mind in this regard. Space Quest is also an honorable mention.

Some of the funny statements you may want to keep a good eye on. It can help in the long-run. Like a segment that alters all the characters on screen or something, and you have to make note of it in order to find a necessary item or something. Sometimes, even the comedy in the game is the serious business you have to take care of.

LucasArts had some awesome adventure games too. Indiana Jones: The Fate of Atlantis is particularly awesome.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 01:31:04 pm »

Space Station 13. The goon servers have lots of wacky stuff, Data's (shudder) has super powers, and ours is decent RP, but all have infinitely variable methods of mayhem. I'm still figuring out new methods of causing havoc.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 01:42:28 pm »

Space Station 13. The goon servers have lots of wacky stuff, Data's (shudder) has super powers, and ours is decent RP, but all have infinitely variable methods of mayhem. I'm still figuring out new methods of causing havoc.
I was going to say that :D
Then I saw you said it.

Yeah we have lots of good stu-Oh my god! SOMEBODY RELEASED PLASMA IN THE AIR! AHHHH! SOMEBODY LIT IT ON FIRE! GAHHHHhh-.....
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

LemonMan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 11:34:00 pm »

I guess by depth, I meant how much there is to accomplish in the game. Like you play dwarf fortress for like a week and you come out with a sweet fortress to keep playing for as long as you like.
And morrowind lasts for freaking ever. I just want some game that give me a satisfactory feeling for playing.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 11:44:07 pm »

May I suggest Wikifirmament then? SS13 rounds don't last forever, but you do get a rep.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 11:44:58 pm »

May I suggest Wikifirmament then? SS13 rounds don't last forever, but you do get a rep.
I try to change my name. :D

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2010, 12:30:44 am »

Escape Velocity: Nova is pretty kick ass. An open ended game, with six mutual exclusive story lines that connect with one other.

Its an arcade Space Sim with a huge universe, lots of ships lots of way to deck out ships. Become a trader, astroid miner, courier, pirate, piss off everyone, becomes super friends with some of the galactic powers, test neat weapons and keep'em. Or if you're really ballsy and have the combat rep, demand payment from planets and have bounty hunter hit squads after you.

It has twitch combat.

Lovely graphics. A good variety in ships. Lots of little mission to do.

The best part, is its active mod community with total conversion mods, story lines, different weapons and other gadgets, challenges and cheats.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2010, 01:58:48 am »

Depends strongly on what you consider depth. I feel that Morrowind is shallow, but "broad", not deep. Lots of things to explore, but not many ways you can be creative.

I actually consider Worms an in-depth game, because there's a huge range of tactics you can use, and there's plenty of complex ways you can use to achieve victory.

Any MMO strategy game can also have an amazing amount of depth, if you play with a good alliance.

If you mean something that has limitless exploration, try Fallout 3. Or some RPI MUDs, especially Armageddon. Arm's world is built mostly by player actions, and there's a massive world to explore.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2010, 11:31:02 am »

Depends strongly on what you consider depth. I feel that Morrowind is shallow, but "broad", not deep. Lots of things to explore, but not many ways you can be creative.

I actually consider Worms an in-depth game, because there's a huge range of tactics you can use, and there's plenty of complex ways you can use to achieve victory.

Any MMO strategy game can also have an amazing amount of depth, if you play with a good alliance.

If you mean something that has limitless exploration, try Fallout 3. Or some RPI MUDs, especially Armageddon. Arm's world is built mostly by player actions, and there's a massive world to explore.
good post.

'depth' seems to have a different meaning to everyone. When I read he thought morrowind had depth I realized I wasn't going to be able to contribute much to his search, since I feel Morrowwind is pretty darn shallow like you indicate.

But now it seems to me, depth in his mind is time you can spend playing while actually progressing. I base this on:
"Morrowind lasts for freaking ever" and "how much there is to accomplish in the game". Although, I feel both those statements have different potentials behind them as well. For example, I could play and beat Morrowind in a couple of hours easily, but I don't have to; I could explore its full world and spend much more time.
So in the end, I think LemonMan should be content with nearly any game that does not have a straightforward story/progress track- regardless of 'depth'.

As such, I'll throw in my own suggestion: Daggerfall

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2010, 02:19:19 pm »

Ultima 7 has a lot of depth, even if most of it is useless.

You can drag and drop all kinds of things and make some sort of Fortress made completely out of crates and barrels. And you can bake bread.

In fact, one of my hobbies was to make the largest airship possibly by stacking tons of things on top of other things on board my flying carpet.
Pages: [1] 2