Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: building a roof over my magma moat?  (Read 732 times)

magic dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
building a roof over my magma moat?
« on: February 08, 2010, 12:01:48 pm »

It seems like everytime it rains, it takes away a little bit of my magma in my magma moat.  Should i build a roof over my moat?? btw my moat does run through an area where a murky pool used to be

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: building a roof over my magma moat?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 12:07:51 pm »

Just roof over or channel out the murky pool.  Murky pool tiles collect water when it rains.  Other than that you don't need to worry about rain on your magma moat.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: building a roof over my magma moat?
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 05:40:17 pm »

Yep. Murky pools fill up 1/7 water at a time and can eventually completely refill, unless you build floors or (more simply) roads over the area.

What's happening is that the rain is filling the pool with 1/7 water, which instantly evaporates when it hits your magma, but isn't enough to form obsidian. Much like dumping a bucket of water into a magma pit from just one Z-level up, it instead obliterates the magma and leaves a hole.

So yes, put a roof over that area, or drain out the magma and pave the bottom of the pool.