Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Projects with unintended results.  (Read 949 times)

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Projects with unintended results.
« on: February 08, 2010, 08:59:38 am »

Have you ever completed a project only to discover that it has some strange results? Share 'em!

I had dug a swimming pool for my dwarves and connected it to a nearby brook via tunneling (no pumps, and filtering through a constructed fortification) and I just found that it has waves running across it!

Heres a movie of the "waves": http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-1969-wavepool

All the fresh water is entering from the northern side of the pool, I have no idea why it's happening - I just think it's awesome.

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Projects with unintended results.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 12:53:19 pm »

I had dug a swimming pool for my dwarves and then in the midst of training I found out that the fortress freezes over in winter... guess 6 insta-frozen military dwarves can be considered an unintended project result. :-)
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 12:58:29 pm »

It was a fairly simple and easily avoided mistake, but my first obsidian farm wasn't properly secured.  The first time I let the water flow down into it, the overspill into the main hall almost made it to my forge area and had to be contained with large doors.  The second time I let the water flow down to it, an unfortunately timed immigrant wave caused the damn thing to not be shut off for some time, and I had to expand my obsidian farm to sixteen times its original size just to get all the water to evaporate.  I set up floodgates as well after that, to hold back the water more effectively and keep most of it in the obsidian farm proper.
Sanity is for the weak.

Lord_Shadow

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNDEAD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 01:04:24 pm »

Attempted to create an obsidian factory by having magma fall and having water mix with it creating a rain of obsidian stones, it worked. It worked for about 5 minutes until the the mixing chamber became clocked with solid obsidian rock, but while working (erm starting to fail) some dwarves walked in to gather the obsidian and were struck by falling magma... which incarcerated them instantly
Urist McCarpenter cancels rest: QUITSCREWINGWITHMAHBUCKETSYOUSONOFABITCHES!!!
Urist Mccarpenter has gone stark raving mad!
Urist McWalrusCarpenter cancels rest: Has u seen mah bukkit?!

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 02:20:10 pm »

I drafted four dwarves early on in the game and left them unarmed as a temporary solution until I could buy some metal to forge weapons.  Within less than a year's time they had all become champion wrestlers.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 02:23:24 pm »

I drafted four dwarves early on in the game and left them unarmed as a temporary solution until I could buy some metal to forge weapons.  Within less than a year's time they had all become champion wrestlers.

Normal for the current version. At least in the next version champions are now a position that you can assign (its basically like recognizing a soldier as a hero, I think) and you can de-activate your eliete soldiers. So you won't get stuck with soldiers that you don't need or you want to retire them.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 02:27:36 pm »

Attempted to create an obsidian factory by having magma fall and having water mix with it creating a rain of obsidian stones, it worked. It worked for about 5 minutes until the the mixing chamber became clocked with solid obsidian rock, but while working (erm starting to fail) some dwarves walked in to gather the obsidian and were struck by falling magma... which incarcerated them instantly

Book'em, Danno

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 04:34:41 pm »

Unless you were intending to use those dwarves as civilian workers, I'd say that's a pretty fortunate result, since Legendary Wrestling skill will allow them to survive a lot longer during combat (by virtue of allowing them to dodge attacks) once you equip them with proper weapons (yes, you can equip champion wrestlers with whatever weapons you want - you just need to make sure they don't have anything else in their hands).
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 04:36:51 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.