Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12

Author Topic: Things in games that terrified you as a kid  (Read 12131 times)

Singularity125

• Bay Watcher
  • [GAMING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Things in games that terrified you as a kid
« Reply #150 on: July 13, 2010, 11:56:34 am »

Truthfully, what creeped me out about Ocarina of Time...  was being in Jabu-Jabu's belly. I don't know why, but any game where you had to be eaten alive to accomplish something (more common than you think...) creeped me out. I never did get past that point as a kid, so I can't say whether the ReDeads would've scared me, but I bet they would have.

I also remember being scared often by King's Quest 6. Some of the death scenes in that one were pretty bad. I think the labyrinth was probably the scariest place, next to the isle of mists. I dunno, it's been too long.  And as for Mario 2, the Phantos didn't scare me, but the Hawkmouths? You know, the ones you normally go in to finish a level? It scared the SHIT out of me the first time that thing detached from the wall and chased after me, in 7-2. That was NOT expected. And this was during a time when we rented all our games, so it was a long time before I got to exact my revenge.  Heh. I never got to play M rated games as a kid, so I guess I got scared by lesser horrors instead. :P

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 13, 2010, 01:08:40 pm »

In Resident Evil 4, there was this one room near the end of the game that, while not containing any enemies, had a dumpster that had a bag in it.

There was something in that bag, as it would squirming and writhing when you opened the dumpster. It scared the hell out of me, because I didn't know what the HELL was in that bag.

It didn't help that you couldn't interact with the bag at all, nor could you damage it in any way.
I thought you could shoot/knife it and kill whatever was in there.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There were these facehugger thingies in Blood 2 that scared the crap out of me. You crawl through some pipes with maybe a foot of water in them, and suddenly you see a shadow moving towards you under water. Seconds later, the grossest thing ever is eating your face. These things were impossible to hit, too, or maybe I just sucked because it was my first FPS.
Or in the first Blood, the severed hands that do the same thing. The first one was also a lot scarier, the second was kinda crappy(and came with a virus).
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 13, 2010, 02:06:43 pm »

The first one was considerably scarier. There's something about 2D sprites on 3d backgrounds in FPSs that just scares me.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 13, 2010, 02:09:10 pm »

Fatal Frame...nearly shit my pants several times
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 13, 2010, 02:38:12 pm »

Thief 3, the asylum. The first half was terrible. Very creepy, but no actual monsters. I can kill monsters, I can't kill nothing!

Also, redeads and wallmasters. I love floormasters though. Die creepy hand-thing!

Really, I'm only afraid of things I can't fight.

Edit: also the bridge in half-life 2. I hate heights.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Evilgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 13, 2010, 02:48:08 pm »

I'm going to be "SUPAR ORIGINAL" here and just say it.
ReDeads.

Ohh god the horrors.
The first time I played OoT [I was about 7, I think], whenever I got into that graveyard, I was literally crying with fear, I couldn't do anything BUT pull the cartrige out..
That was it for me with OoT for a loong time, I was just mortified of them..
But eventually I stumbled on my N64 in the atic and decided to try it again, and I'm still terrified of them, to get the Song of Sun [I think that's it. It's been a long time], I would just bolt it through that green acid crap.
And don't get me started on Hyrule Town with adult link.
THE HORRORS.

Amazing isn't it, how this simple little thing can scar so many of us for life.
And if you still can't hear the scream, I salute you.

That and those Creepy Hand Things I've seen mentioned several times.

Also, Clocktower.
Every single part of the entire game series's has scared the living daylights out of me.
Especially the 3rd one, where the characters get introduced in such... Glorious ways.

Nothing gets you in the mood than watching a little girl get her head bludgeoned in with a hammer, before the THING that did it slowly turns to you, and you are completely defenseless.
You can hide, IF you're lucky, but otherwise, you run. And you run.

EDIT-
And as a special bonus, something that terrifies me now.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 03:06:12 pm by Evilgrim »

Count_Siitoin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 13, 2010, 02:57:50 pm »

The dark areas in Doom 1, especially combined with spectres and other hard-to-see monsters.

Also, the creeping hands in Blood which were hard to see and jumped suddenly on you and started to strangle you.

The worst moment was probably in Aliens vs. Predator 1's demo when I had cleared out most of the level(or so I thought), I saw something move in a shadowy corner. I was pretty damn sure that it couldn't have been an alien since there wasn't enough space for them. I moved closer with the pulse rifle ready and... A facehugger suddenly throws itself on my screen and kills me instantly . I had to turn off the computer to calm myself down.

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 13, 2010, 05:20:24 pm »

Thief 3, the asylum. The first half was terrible. Very creepy, but no actual monsters. I can kill monsters, I can't kill nothing!

I hope you mean terrible as in scary...just spending the first half of the mission piecing together what that place was...one of the freakiest levels in videogame history, IMO.

KG

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 13, 2010, 05:30:45 pm »

Yeah, I meant terrible as in scary. It was an amazing level.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 13, 2010, 09:54:46 pm »

The original Descent game. For some reason, all of the reactors scared me, I had to have my dad do those levels. I tried to go back and play it again a while ago, but apparently their delay commands didn't work so well. Running a DOS game that uses loop based delays designed for something like a 400 mhz processor on a 2 ghz processor is a bit... fast.

The spider in Sim Ant, for some reason. Whenever it killed you, this giant spider head popped up on your screen, which scared the crap out of me.

I never got the guts to release the first monster in Penumbra. I had to use a guide to get past one of the first puzzles and couldn't bring myself to do it.

Left 4 Dead isn't normally scary, but the first time I hooked my laptop up to the surround sound I'm going to use on my desktop was interesting. There was a boomer somewhere, I never found him, but I could hear that gurgling in high definition sound. Then there was the time one of my teammates startled the witch in surround sound, which made me jump out of my skin. Or the time the AI shot up one of the cars with an alarm. 80 zombies moaning at once gave me nightmares.

The original Half Life had several moments. To this day, every time I have to go around a corner or under a light/open vent in any game, I circle it with my weapon drawn. Damn headcrabs. Then there were the barnacles. The first time you see them, you have no explanation about what they were. After killing the acid spitting alien (whatever happened to them in Half Life 2 I wonder) you jump down into the water. I wanted to get out, so I grabbed the nearest "rope". It was a little confusing, why am I autocli... OHMYGODIT'SATONGUE!!! I freaked out and bashed the thing with my crowbar, which for some reason killed it. To this day, I always kill barnacles first (with the exception of that one barnacle in Half Life that eats like half the marines that go after you).

Ravenholm. Nuff said. Actually, the worst was that giant open area you have to go through that's full of poison headcrab throwers and the zombies and such respawn. The worst part was I got lost, so I thought I was going through a really freakin HUGE area with no ammo and limited items for the grav gun. I almost cried when I lost the cinderblock I was using. Then there's the first time you meet the super headcrab zombie. The first time I saw him, I fired a barrel at him and turned away (if you haven't played Half Life 2, anything Gordon sized or smaller can be pretty much one shot with the grav gun and something bigger than a breadbox). Turns out, they're a little tougher than that. Also, when you have to wait for Father Grigorii to send the cart for you, I didn't realize you could ambush the climbing super zombies. I would wait for them to reach the roof instead of shooting down at them with the shotgun or revolver. Every time the drainpipe ticked, I freaked out.

(It was also ironic, in the Zombie Island of Dr Ned, Ned jokingly says "Oh, come on. It's not like this is the first time you've had to fight off a swarm of zombies while you waited for an old man to hand crank an elevator." I had to agree with him, and because I hadn't figured out to ambush the super headcrab zombies yet it wasn't even the worst battle, though Ned was kind of annoying, while Grigorii was a badass).
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Lokii

• Bay Watcher
  • Jack of no trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 13, 2010, 09:58:18 pm »

Aaaa wat.

This talk of video game scares...
I used to be scared of Bowser's laugh in Super Mario 64...

And... Whenever the power went off I'd cover my ears, because when it came back on there was a really loud siren. (This still startles me, actually)
Oh and Lokii, your job is now to seduce the human traders.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 13, 2010, 10:24:36 pm »

The original Descent game. For some reason, all of the reactors scared me, I had to have my dad do those levels.

I'm surprised you didn't say lifters. Although I see now that they're really not anything of a threat, they damn well looked scary. Also the AI (half the game's enemies coded to sneak up on you? Have fun).

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #162 on: July 13, 2010, 11:49:35 pm »

The first encounter with the flood in Halo: CE, although after that first skirmish, they never really were all that scary again.  More recently (at 18, I still count as a "kid"...), the Stalker: Call of Pripyat.  My laptop's screen isn't that bright, so the first encounter with pretty much anything was scary as hell.  The first fight with a blood-sucker in that game scared the crap out of me.  Although the little mutant rat things were only scary until you saw them.  The little skittering noise they made had me reminiscing of the little flood in Halo when they started tearing me apart :P

Also, Demon Souls, 3rd Archstone, Ivory Tower.  Ended up being one of the easiest Archstones to get through, but it and the 5th (Valley of Defilement, or something like that), were the last 2 I did, if only because the first time I attempted and failed them scarred me so badly I didn't want to come back until my character was almost a demi-god... and even then the squid-headed thing's bells, and the constant singing 2 notes drove me crazy....

Oh, and several parts of Bioshock, such as the lights repeatedly cutting off when (IIRC) approaching Ryan's office, with the "dead" splicers at the end of the hallway jumping up when you almost stepped on them.  Or the first encounter with Elite Bouncers, or Big Daddy's in general.

What can I say, not the most hard-hearted gamer (...and yet the idea of murdering mermaids and using children as arrow-catchers doesn't phase me...)  Never really did have any problems with any of the SNES, N64 or PS1 games though; although there may have been something in Jet Force Gemini that scared me, but I wouldn't likely remember :P

[EDIT]: Scratch that last bit, King K. Rool's laugh in Donkey Kong, when you quit, used to scare the crap out of me back when I first got it... although I was all of 7 or something at the time.
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 14, 2010, 10:15:37 am »

Im surprised no one mentioned The Journeyman Project.
One of our computers (a Packard Bell running Windows 95) came with a large sampler pack of software, including The Journeyman Project Turbo.

"Get out of my way, Human, OR DIE!" (used to hide under the desk during playthroughs with my dad in mars colony, expecting this)

Or the whir-click-kaboom, whir-click-kaboom, whir-click-kaboom, <giant robot looks RIGHT AT YOU for one looong second, continues>, whir-click-kaboom, whir-click-kaboom...
Or "I've EXPECTED you..." <thwip> <whistle> <grunt of pain> When the robot gets you with a tranq dart.

Man, what a great game though... I should really try to find 2 and 3 for PC.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 14, 2010, 10:50:26 am »

The ghosts in Metal Gear Solid, the first time you find one(moreso if you discover them without anyone telling you about them). Also, the first move that Psycho Mantis makes(the black screen with HIDEO on it), it shocked the hell out of me.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12