Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12

Author Topic: Things in games that terrified you as a kid  (Read 12145 times)

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things in games that terrified you as a kid
« Reply #90 on: February 10, 2010, 02:30:50 pm »

Did anybody else play The Ultimate Haunted House as a kid and get completely weirded out by it? Wandering into rooms, hearing strange noises, never knowing when one of the creatures would appear.. totally scared the crap out of me. Yeah, all of the characters seem goofy now, but back then it was truly a nightmarish adventure. And oh god, that zombie thing that screamed and killed you if you didn't leave the room fast enough? Whenever that son of a bitch would appear, I would scream and run out of the room for one of my parents "Mom there's a monster on my computer  :'("

Finding keys was very gratifying. Even if  I knew I was going to get slain or run out of time or something, having 7/13 keys (it was 13 total right?) felt pretty good. The bag thing was awesome, too, everything about that game was awesome. Certain neutral characters I remember being able to anger or destroy, like the talking cauldron in the kitchen. I think you had to keep tapping on him or something and he'd explode!

Anyway.. good times.

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 10, 2010, 02:50:25 pm »

This skeleton in forbidden forest on atari:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DseVyfeCguU&feature=related

...also it had first scary soundtrack i heard.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 02:52:30 pm by kulik »

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 10, 2010, 03:58:07 pm »

mine still are anything that....is dark.....limits your view.....has stuff that jumps out at you.....and loud sudden noises  :o

But for some reason i can play left 4 dead alone with sound right up in a dark room and be fine..... ;D
Space Station 13. Nothing like having the power go out, then getting jumped on and hit in the head with a toolbox.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 10, 2010, 08:54:23 pm »

I was never very scared as a kid. I guess I just didn't play scary games, because even the descriptions of some of these creep me out.  :'(

Anything that is dark, and you just keep going without knowing when it's going to end is pretty bad... it's even worse when there's either no background music or just very quiet wind or something... atmospheres like that kind of weird me out. Not exactly scare, but... you know.
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

jetex1911

• Bay Watcher
  • [MAXAGE:∞]
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 21, 2010, 09:47:07 am »

One thing that still scares me is this: In Garrys-mod when i'm playing on solo, i'm afraid something is gonna jump out at me or somethin'.
Put into this light, Dr. Robotnik and Armok could easily have been roommates.

Known as That_Kobold on BYOND

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 21, 2010, 10:12:20 am »

Jesus Sysice, that's a huge avatar. Biggest I've seen around here!

Anyone ever play that one flash game, which was an adventure set in this insanely creepy mansion? It had a really weird sounding name, but I just can't remember it!

jetex1911

• Bay Watcher
  • [MAXAGE:∞]
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 21, 2010, 10:38:55 am »

I'm also freaked out by the Tails Doll from Sonic R. That creepy song plays every time you play it, and the tails doll just looks creepy. especially that strange picture of it just standing there on a tile floor...

Put into this light, Dr. Robotnik and Armok could easily have been roommates.

Known as That_Kobold on BYOND

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 21, 2010, 10:44:20 am »

The Space Quest with the zombies, oh my god.

That scream.....

DanJhonson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 21, 2010, 02:34:12 pm »

That music that plays in the genesis Sonic games when you are about run out of air
*Shudders*

Shzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 21, 2010, 02:54:41 pm »

Anyone ever play that one flash game, which was an adventure set in this insanely creepy mansion? It had a really weird sounding name, but I just can't remember it!

I think I know what you're speaking of, but I can't remember the name myself.

As for my own scary experiences, journey back to Zelda II: The Adventure of Link. Not a frightening game by itself, other than being freaky difficult, but I was terrified of the final palace. Why? Well, you and Link would be crossing a wooden bridge over a lake of lava, you know, typical stuff, and a friggin' giant blob would appear out of nowhere above you and flatten you. It was horrifying. It didn't help that my big bro would shove me and yell in my ear whenever one appeared.
000634 □ [adventure mode][environment]   jumping into water while on fire resulted in steamy death

Level_8_Mudcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 22, 2010, 03:56:53 am »

The redeads and wallmasters in OoT were definately scary for me as a kid. I couldn't bring myself to complete that well area before the fourth dungeon in MM ethier, I haven't actaully bothered to try again in recent years though.

Another thing, probably sounds stupid, but I used to be afraid of water in Morrowid, I couldn't stand those slaughterfish and Dreughs.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 22, 2010, 08:25:53 pm »

007: Nightfire. Horrible game, and that is partly why there were so many OH SHI*!!!! moments in it. Imagine this (something which occasionally happened): You are playing a stealth mission, body on full alert for any hint of a gaurd coming after you. All of a sudden, one of the game's many bugs causes the corpse of the gaurd you just killed to float off the ground (and continue up into the sky), and thus suddenly appear 6 inches from your face.
That's sort of typical of the things that freak me out in a game: long periods of quiet and enemies capable of owning you in seconds.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 23, 2010, 01:46:10 am »

THOSE KEY THINGS from THAT MARIO GAME. The SECOND ONE.

They were INSIDIOUSLY ALARMING. In addition, to being CHEAPASS.

I believe that as a CHILD that was SCARY.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 23, 2010, 02:08:27 am »

The zombies in Thief: The Dark Project.  First M rated game I was allowed to play as a kid...got to the mine level, and was jumping around trying to get on a ledge when I accidentally stepped on one of the corpses, and about pissed my pants when it screamed and got up to chase me.

The ones that don't play dead aren't much better...I can still remember being in the Bonehoard and the Cathedral, wondering if I could hear the "*splortch splortch" of them walking, while I hid in the dark hoping they didn't find me... I think the worst part about them is that you barely have the weapons to deal with them, and you're constantly worrying about running out of holy water and fire...

KG

EDIT:
On topic: Two words: The Cradle. ohgodohgod.
Oh s***.  The thumping from the attic...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 10:08:08 am by kg333 »

HideousBeing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 23, 2010, 02:09:26 am »

I don't remember being scared by any games as a kid, but as an adult I found penumbra! Holy shit those tuurngait zombies are scary. I played doom in my dads lap before I could walk, so I guess I just got desensitized at a very young age.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12