Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12

Author Topic: Things in games that terrified you as a kid  (Read 12153 times)

Giant Snowman

• Bay Watcher
  • It's a Giant Snowman adventure.
    • View Profile
Re: Things in games that terrified you as a kid
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2010, 03:21:35 pm »

Alone in the Dark
Around the time I was 10 the mother of a friend showed us a new computer game she got from a friend. It was way to creepy for us and we made her turn it off. We kept playing Commander Keen instead. Oddly enough, I had a lot of fun chainsawing demons to bits when Doom came out a year later.

Prince of Persia
When I was younger I never got past level 3 in this because I wouldn't jump through those vertical chopper timing traps. When they killed you they would keep chopping , showing a streak of blood from where it was touching half your corpse.
Benzene on steam.

Mr Tk

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you like a mint? It's only waffer thin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2010, 08:54:48 pm »

Trying to install Kings Quest 5 off 7, 5 1/2 inch floppy disks and then getting to the 5th disk and having it fall. That's scary.

Weirdly enough no game really scared me to the point of unable to play or nightmares or anything like that.
First ten minutes of play I ate my loincloth and then got some limbs torn off by a super friendly rat. Thumbs up from me.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2010, 09:00:27 pm »

None of the ones I mentioned scared me that much either, but they creeped me out enough to make sitting alone in the dark playing them an unconfortable.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2010, 09:19:50 pm »

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2010, 10:14:35 pm »

I don't think I've ever actually been scared by games. Some creep me out, though. I also wasn't a kid for any of these.

Try turning the model details to full on Fallout 3 and just looking at a giant ant/scorpion. Those things are creepy. Then there's the rusted out vault that was pumped full of gas.

I do remember not liking reaching Ravenhold at night in Half Life 2.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 10:24:21 pm by Mephisto »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2010, 10:21:37 pm »

I wasn't a kid when this happened, but it was a very scary and dramatic moment in Half Life 2.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Shoes...

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2010, 10:40:05 pm »

Definitely those damn zombies from Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Seriously, they scream, jump on your back, and RAPE you. I'm still mildly creeped out by them.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2010, 10:46:03 pm »

I don't remember ever getting scared of games as a kid.

As an adult, System Shock 2 (the entire damn things, especially whenever you're walking down some hallway and hear KILLLLL MEEE!!!!! right behind you...or whenever you first meet a new enemy and totally get your shit handed to you)

Also, I played "Five Days a Stranger" with a friend in the dark at night (one step below ALONE in the dark at night) and got some good scares.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

quintin522

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLYING_SPAGHETTI_MONSTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2010, 11:05:45 pm »

Also, I played "Five Days a Stranger" with a friend in the dark at night (one step below ALONE in the dark at night) and got some good scares.
The sequels are even better, especially Tribly's Notes. That one can really freak you out if you play in the dark with audio on
"I can't bleed to death now, I don't have time!"
Urist McExplorer, bolding going where no dwarf has OH GAWD THE MAGMA IT BURNSSSss..

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2010, 11:39:08 pm »

The first area in Brave Fencer Musashi with the unidentifiable remains hanging from the ceiling scared me.

Also, I always thought the bone monster looked awesome.  Skullpion, I think it was called.
Shoes...

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2010, 12:06:17 am »

For me, it'd have to be one scene from the original Half-Life. Having just circled a large pool, you find yourself standing on top of a shark cage suspended over said pool, with a crossbow lying inside. You drop down inside the cage to grab the bow... and the cage falls into the pool.

And this enormous, massive sea monster charges the cage.

You've got a (very limited ammo) crossbow to beat him, he's right outside the cage, he's incredibly loud (and obviously angry!), your oxygen meter is dropping - it scared me half to death. Years later, I still have trouble replaying that scene.  :o

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2010, 01:50:47 am »

Quote from: Puck
Everything in System Shock 2.

This. Babies need meat.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2010, 03:48:47 am »

I don't know if I feel pleased or simply less ashamed knowing that the redead and wallmasters in OoT spooked so many others. Fear 1 got me in places. I don't remember which episode of HL2 it was but I was startled by being underground with ant lions jumping at me. Still though I've not yet been terrified enough to stop playing or have nightmares.

I'd like more games to be atmospheric enough to get me jumpy.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Igginator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2010, 03:54:13 am »

mine still are anything that....is dark.....limits your view.....has stuff that jumps out at you.....and loud sudden noises  :o

Doom 3 i get like 20 minutes into it and have to quit....pretty sad huh? :P
Fear scared the absoulute shit out of me.
Stalker has made me jump occassionally underground in tunnels etc but still love it!....till it gets dark hahaha

But for some reason i can play left 4 dead alone with sound right up in a dark room and be fine..... ;D

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2010, 04:38:58 am »

Oh God, the GET OUT from DK64.

That thing freaked me out, I always sorta triggered it and then ran off immediately afterwards.  I wouldn't say I was scared of it, though.

Also hell yeah Brave Fencer Musashi.  I never really got to play the main game, though - only got a disc of it a couple years ago.  Before that it was just a demo - was of Twin Mountain, the tower (WHOAAAA JUUUUMP) and Steam Knight, and a dungeon.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12