Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Author Topic: Things in games that terrified you as a kid  (Read 12144 times)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things in games that terrified you as a kid
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2010, 12:22:59 am »

Night missions in the original X-COM game. That game alone was what caused my fear of the dark when I was young. Particularly the Sectoids and Chryssalids. (Although I'm now aware that the sectoids are pretty tame when compared to the Ethereals.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2010, 12:24:21 am »

Descent 1, level 7 boss:

On an unrelated note...I participated in one of Interplay's product demonstration of Descent. Pity I didn't keep the green squishy balls they were giving out. Might be worth something on ebay now.

Anyway...according to the demo girl the way they originally built the engine, playing was actually making playtesters puke from motion sickness. They had to redesign it to make it less realistic to keep that from happening.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2010, 12:28:29 am »

The zombies from LoZ:OoT? Pah, I always found them funny. Gohma scared the crap out of me though. I have a distinct memory of sitting in front of the TV with my cousin, after losing the first try, both of us arguing "I don't want to fight it. You fight it." Why did the first boss have to be this?

I finally beat it, my cousin left, and I played the rest of the game from my cousins save file because I didn't want to have to fight it again.

Also, even younger, those hands that sent you back to the start of the dungeon in the original Zelda. Wallmasters? Or something? They were both creepy and frustrating, a deadly combination.

Honourable mention to the chainsaw guy from the beginning of Resident Evil 4, for making me jump as an adult when he decapitated me from behind.

moocowmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2010, 12:50:31 am »

Wow I found a video of the Space Quest thing on youtube. It STILL freaks me out. That horrible scream. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz4uR-RTHY0&feature=related

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2010, 01:11:42 am »

In one of the spacequest games, there's this zombie cyborg thing that is walking around. If you accidentally run into him a screen comes up with his rotting face and huge eyes and he points at you and screams while weird midi music plays. My heart would pound whenever he wandered into the screen.
Amen. That thing freaked me out everytime I saw it. And thanks to my brothers, mean as they were, anytime they played that game, and I wanted to watch, they would intentionally die that way. Grr...

Those are some well made graphics. Still looks damn freaky. Nightmare fuel indeed. Thank God I'm jaded.

Space Quest IV I believe it was... or was that Space Quest XII?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 01:15:45 am by Itnetlolor »

Duelmaster409

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_FIGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2010, 02:33:53 am »

Well, I know it's not a GAME, but this video creeped the fuck out of me. Watch it
Dwarf fortress: Teaching uni level geology to sadistic elf killers for years.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2010, 02:42:06 am »

Games weren't immersive enough when I was a kid to be scary, or at least the ones I played weren't. As an adult I have had a couple scary moments that I can remember. I nearly jumped out of my seat the first time a headcrab jumped at me in half-life.  I also remember being pretty jumpy exploring tombs in Morrowind. I recall playing alone, in the dark, with headphones on and there was creepy music paired with creepy environmental sound effect; skeletons startled me every time they snuck up on me.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2010, 02:44:37 am »

Starflight, sure as heck.  Part of it might have been poor game design, but it was actually a shining beacon of playability in the mid-to-late-80s of its release.

So you're cruising around interstellar space.  You only see the small area around you--let's face it, it was designed for early 286es.  There's a starfield scrolling past when you move.  If your navigator is high-enough skilled... you notice that there's a patch of stars that, instead of moving with the rest of the starfield, seems to be moving randomly.

If you touch that patch of random movement--or if you touch a patch of totally normal looking space, if you have a poorly trained navigator--suddenly, you are treated to a 3d zooming-through-starfield effect.  And your coordinates like "81x136" are suddenly replaced by "???x???".  Dude...Where ARE we?  You've just hit a continuum flux (IE a wormhole).  They're two-way, so it's possible to stagger around and go back into the one you just came out of.  But here's the tricky part.  Many of them lead into clusters of OTHER fluxes, which means that if you trip over one that you didn't know about...your chances of getting back home successfully are, well, very very low.  Tripping over one of these is scary as hell, especially considering that the game is sort of roguelike-ish when it comes to saving (scumming is encouraged, but it required you to manually back-up TWO FLOPPIES).

Also scary about Starflight when I was a kid...just encounters in general.  Especially if you're somewhat new to the game and travelling in space you're not already very familiar with, and especially if you've just fallen through a continuum flux, encounters are quite likely to kill you.  Anyway, you usually get some text warning that other ships are nearby.  If/when they catch up to you, your PC speaker makes three low tones for the encounter bell.  And when I was eight years old, that nearly gave me a heart attack EVERY TIME.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2010, 04:33:22 am »

I was 12 when i played half life 2 on release. Parents were hosting a party so i used that opportunity to spend the entire evening playing. About 10:30 i reached the chopper battle. Was awesome. Because i was young and sucked at the game, it took me untill after dark to defeat it and get through black mesa east. Then I get to Ravenholm.

Fucking poison headcrabs still creep me out.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Jookia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2010, 06:42:22 am »

The Protonzoid Slimers from Duke Nukem 3D. The sound plus what they did and how I played it being 7 years old has scared me.

ajar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2010, 06:46:00 am »

Prince of Persia 2, snakes and the biting heads in the ruins
Wing Commander 1, the Kilrathi
Star Control 2, the Hierarchy guys.

But these were just terrible. What was terrifying was...

sectoids in the night... chrysalids etc.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 06:47:43 am by ajar »
And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened. Jesus-

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2010, 07:49:30 am »

The zombies from OoT... IIRC, those are called ReDeads. Man, I remember being unable to beat OoT simply because I couldn't get the necessary item these guys were guarding.

The FIRST zombie from RE1. Goddamn that scared the heck out of me as a kid. Also, there were the GIANT SPIDERS that you encountered later. There was also the crushing-trap room... the dogs that jumped in through the window... the goddamn CROWS! Theres a reason why I never beat this game... and I never got to the part with the ZOMBIE SHARKS!

Nemesis in 3 was flippin' awesome though, STILL one of my favorite all-time videogame bad guys.

Charmander

• Bay Watcher
  • [!!TAIL!!]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2010, 07:58:26 am »

As a kid? Any pitch black rooms in Doom. Archviles in Doom 2.
As an older kid? Half-Life and barnacles. I damn near shat bricks when you got to the room in OpFor that is basically just barnacles.
Nowadays? The underground sections in S.T.A.L.K.E.R.. Holy shit.

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2010, 07:58:45 am »

Donkey Kong 64. Two words: "GET OUT."
Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
  • Sometimes you have to step back to appreciate art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2010, 08:12:07 am »

Err, off the top of my head:
The hydra and the kraken from Magic Carpet 2.

The giant octopus from the Windwaker.

The Redeads from Ocarina of Time.

When I was very young, weirdly, was clanker's cavern and the shark that came to eat you in the seaside level from Banjo Kazooie on the N64. I have a serious phobia of the ocean and sea creatures in general.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12