Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12

Author Topic: Things in games that terrified you as a kid  (Read 12124 times)

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things in games that terrified you as a kid
« Reply #135 on: March 02, 2010, 07:54:54 am »

I second the underwater levels of N64, especially the one with the sunken ship. The huge eel that would take a bite at you if you came close and which you would see squirming far below every time you dived made that level unplayably scary. Hazy Mazy cave came close too.

A more recent one is the sideroom with the chest in Milla's Party in Psychonauts. I wish kids that play the game never find that room. Or at least won't jump in the chest.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 02, 2010, 08:18:56 am »

pretty much anything from Heart of Darkness. That game was brutal.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Jamuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 02, 2010, 03:50:56 pm »

Hmm, I didn't actually play much of the game, but my first impression was pretty bad of Resident Evil.  This was way back when, maybe around 1997 or so.  Not really sure which game it was either.  I was at a friend's house, or trailer to be more accurate.  The room was really dusty, windows were covered, so light was streaming in dimly.  It may have been the ambiance as much as the game itself, but it scared the crap out of me whenever things would pop out.  My most memorable moment of it was when in the game you walked by a mirror and a monster popped out right as I was looking into it.  I practically jumped out of my skin when that happened.  It was my friend's game so he was used to it and managed to get quite a long laugh out of that.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 02, 2010, 04:24:01 pm »

Barrow Hill.

Cheepo point and click adventure. Antagonist was a giant flying stone pillar thing. It melted people with lasers. You actually find the ashes of a couple (and sift through them, no less) before you know what they are.

Not sure what the scariest bit was. There were so very many.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 12, 2010, 09:55:18 pm »

Thread necro, I know, but this one is worth it.

I was playing Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines. There's this part of the mainquest in which you have to find out who's making snuff films and distributing them around hollywood. Turns out you eventualy get a tape from some guy who's really scared to death.

You eventualy watch that tape, which depicts a woman running from those  creepy creatures you meet in the sewers. Nothing scary up to this point, but in the very end when the things catch up with her, the video blacks out, and you get to hear the sound of those things ripping her flesh apart while she gives off a very realistic, blood curling scream a second before it ends.

That was seriously the scariest scream I ever heard. Not because it sounded monstrous or anything like that, but because it sounded unbearably realistic.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 12, 2010, 10:56:53 pm »

The Wheel of Time... It creeped me out so much, primarily just the earlier levels, you got trollocs which I seem to recall basically being black figures with eyes that surprised me multiple times by jumping out of a dark background. Then you've got the deadly tendrils of mist which lurch out of walls at you, that scared the hell out of me more than anything. I seem to recall more than once staring at a hole saying to myself "I really don't want to jump down there, there's gonna more mist and trollocs". The myrdrall didn't scare me that much, even though they had a nasty tendency to teleport behind you, I recall getting scared to all hell when I was shooting at a myrdrall while walking backwards and a split second after he disappears I run into a spear trap, I die thinking he went behind me and stabbed me, that gave me the creeps for a while afterwards, whenever they disappeared from then on I would immediately look behind myself. Oh and the "Ways" can't forget the maddening black cloud of death that eventually comes for you, the world just begins to fade to black and the whispering and screaming gets louder and louder...

EDIT: Ok I hadn't read the thread and it had already been mentioned, I was just thinking about it when I saw the title and decided to share.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 11:04:02 pm by Pnx »

commondragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 13, 2010, 12:41:42 am »

Pretty much anything considered to be scary.
But mainly, the main thing that scared me to death....

Any deaths in sim ant, the ant death screams scare the crap out of me to this day. And the noise the spider makes when it's starting to chase YOU.

Nowadays? This virus that keeps reappearing on my computer (I got infected by an ad twice so far now).  and sim ant.
WheEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 13, 2010, 12:49:21 am »

Not having a weapon in a horror scenario.
Hello Hunam

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 13, 2010, 12:51:08 am »

Not having a weapon in a horror scenario.

You would have loved the original Clocktower (or been scared to death)

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 13, 2010, 12:52:13 am »

WHERE KAN I GETZ IT? Err, umm, the thing is that without a weapon and if horror is done well it makes you feel helpless and hunted.
Hello Hunam

Evilgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 13, 2010, 01:41:12 am »

WHERE KAN I GETZ IT? Err, umm, the thing is that without a weapon and if horror is done well it makes you feel helpless and hunted.

Yeah, that's the entire point of the Clocktower games.
That and the fact there's one enemy..

I've only played the Third one, which I liked.. But it does get a bit silly towards the end..
I mean, we go from this, that scared the crap out of me..

To this..

Which.. Is.. Just no.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 13, 2010, 02:14:55 am »

WALLMASTERS IN LEGEND OF ZELDA.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 13, 2010, 02:18:18 am »

The Thing for the PS2, I was frozen in fear my god.  I actually got through a bunch of missions though.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 13, 2010, 03:09:40 am »

Did we have loading screens yet? I vote for loading screens. The first one ever being

loading <gamename>, 8,1
run

well, not really, the first one was some tapedeck thingy for some texas instrument thingy, and I cant remember the commands, because I was that little.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 13, 2010, 03:51:07 am »

Those acid blobs from Dangerous Dave II my moniter was a bit broken and the screen was tinged multiple colours and you couldn't see them coming because of that,the fire button jamming didn't help ether then I was scared shitless at seeing a seen of Dave getting his face melted off.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12