Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12

Author Topic: Things in games that terrified you as a kid  (Read 12126 times)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
Re: Things in games that terrified you as a kid
« Reply #120 on: February 28, 2010, 07:19:36 pm »

The zombies and skeletons in Daggerfall.  They could and did appear at level 1, but could easily kick your ass way into the game.  More importantly, they screamed
You seem to have omitted Lysandus.

VENGEANCE
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 28, 2010, 07:51:51 pm »

Skeleton turtles from SMB3.

Creepy motherfuckers had me so damn scared I didn't beat the first castle in world 1 for years.

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 28, 2010, 08:03:31 pm »

The big, angry, hopping vegetables from Banjo Kazooie. They pop out of the ground and hop about ten feet in the air while hurting you. :'(
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 01, 2010, 12:21:18 am »

The zombies in Gex nearly made me shit bricks. First time I saw one, I flipped out completely and turned the game off, then didn't even go in the same room as my Gameboy for a few hours.

Also, the mask things - I think they're called Phantos or something - that would chase you in Super Mario 2 when you'd pick up a key.

There was a screensaver that scared me when I was like 7. Anyone remember the Win95 screensaver that would run through a maze?
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 01, 2010, 12:25:40 am »

Also, the mask things - I think they're called Phantos or something - that would chase you in Super Mario 2 when you'd pick up a key.
Oh yeah those guys. I found a way to get past the ones in level 2 without even picking up the key becuase of how much they creeped me out.

Anyone remember the Win95 screensaver that would run through a maze?
Why did that scare you?

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 01, 2010, 12:36:06 am »

The Many.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 01, 2010, 08:08:17 am »

There was an old fishing game on Super Nintendo when I was a kid where the view was on the lure facing the way it came from. As you reeled it in, you could only see stuff behind the lure. One time I was happily fishing and listening to my dad complain that the game sucked compared to real life fishing, when all of a sudden I reeled past a hideous, enormous largemouth bass. They even gave him a special model whereas all the other bass shared the same model. I about had a heart attack and just left the controller sitting there for about 5 minutes because I backed away from the TV. Of course, I couldn't entice him to go for the lure and never saw him again. He was about 2x as large on screen as the largest fish I had seen in the game and was the ugliest bass I've ever seen.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 01, 2010, 08:14:05 am »

The Many.

We are
We are We are

out of place

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 01, 2010, 11:49:38 am »

A simple equation for X-Com:
night+snakemen terror mission+ starting gear only+ motion tracker= one sleepless night
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 01, 2010, 11:56:07 am »

The moon from Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask. It was the single most horrific thing in my childhood.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 01, 2010, 05:15:52 pm »

The zombies in Thief: The Dark Project.  First M rated game I was allowed to play as a kid...got to the mine level, and was jumping around trying to get on a ledge when I accidentally stepped on one of the corpses, and about pissed my pants when it screamed and got up to chase me.

This. First time i went into the mines and had a corpse rise I got so freaked out I had to turn off the computer and go to another room. When through the mines(by running and not looking back) and into factory/prison level I heard the constant moaning(I didn't know it was supposed to be the prisoners) and was sure that the zombies were going to follow me up there.

Oh, but they can...much later after I got over my fear of the things, I led a few up them up into the Hammer factory...it wasn't pretty.  *evil chuckle

Thinking back, it probably didn't help the scary factor that most of the screens in that game were so dark that you couldn't see them properly on a CRT monitor, unless all the lights were turned off.

KG

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 01, 2010, 08:15:35 pm »

The first Playstation game I played was Resident evil.
I played it on a psx a house friend had brought over for a few days.

No one was home except for me.
Played as Jill and encountered the first zombie (the one after the FMV which also scared me pantless btw).

Was unable to react before I died due to fear. :P
I stopped playing the psx then and went back to my trusty snes with Secret of Mana 3 :P

Played Resident evil and the other games in it's series when we got our own psx a year or so later and the fear was gone strangely though.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 01, 2010, 08:23:33 pm »

Loud things/environments, and things that chase me.  These still apply today.

Being chased is a primal fear, and when something's chasing me in a game I feel very scared, despite knowing it's a game.

Loud, chaotic environments, like the first area with monsters in Silent Hill 3 (Where you go into the big top or whatever and they're chasing you and there's all the noise) tend to make me drop everything and run.  The noise has some kind of jamming effect where I can't think rationally over all the sound.  Loud machinery is the biggest one here.
Shoes...

Level_8_Mudcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 02, 2010, 05:59:05 am »

Someone mentioned the Wheel of Time game eariler in the topic, played the demo for it and I see what they mean. Shadar Logoth level is pretty creepy, and it was the only one I played.

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 02, 2010, 07:10:41 am »

A simple equation for X-Com:
night+snakemen terror mission+ starting gear only+ motion tracker= one sleepless night

I played X-Com for the first time when I was 7 or 8. My first terror mission (in Brazil IIRC) also took place at night. The music was creepy and once one of my Grunts made it off the ramp, I ended the turn. Out of nowhere, a Reaper (one of those brown aliens, melee only, the size of a bull) storms to the ramp and smashes my grunt. I screamed and quit the game.

I still shiver when I do night missions.
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12