Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Megaproject Proposal: Conjoined Kingdoms  (Read 1009 times)

Garky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Megaproject Proposal: Conjoined Kingdoms
« on: February 07, 2010, 08:53:13 pm »

What's better than a mountainhome bursting at the seams with crazed dwarves? 4 of them!

My current fortress is actually 4 seperate 2x2 forts, all right next to each other forming a 4x4 square. The goal is to raise each fortress until the king arrives from one of the dwarven civs, then rinse and repeat till I have 4 kings and 520 (130x4) dwarves all under one roof. Bear in mind of course that the entire fortress could only be seen in adventurer mode, as dwarf mode is stuck viewing one of four 2x2 forts.

The only notable feature I'm building is a magma flow that will be available to all 4 forts via edge of the map fortifications and adventure mode visits. I'm betting some of the creative minds on this forum could have a great deal of fun with this concept though, whether it be building forts of two warring factions next to each other or engineering a colossal statue a quarter at a time. Lets hear some extravagant ideas and designs!

garfield751

• Bay Watcher
  • Aaauuugggghhhh!
    • View Profile
Re: Megaproject Proposal: Conjoined Kingdoms
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 08:54:44 pm »

if i remember correctly you cant get 4 kings. the king moves from fortress to fortress

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 08:56:03 pm »

One from each civilization, IIRC.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

garfield751

• Bay Watcher
  • Aaauuugggghhhh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 10:15:18 pm »

well this megaproject should be feasable well except probally transporting magma to another embark square. i read somewhere that magma wont travel to another map in fortress mode but it will in adventure mode.

TKGP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 10:22:39 pm »

Making an embark-spanning statue wouldn't really work because you can't build very close to the map edge. Or just make something that's supposed to have a big hole down the middle.
Quote from: tomio175
Quote from: Mrhappyface
Well if COD players all have ADHD, and Minecrafters autism, then what do DF players all have?
Cave adaption.

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 12:32:24 am »

Maybe I missed the newest version or something but when you leave your fort to build the newest one, are you not going to be abandoning it? I think its very likely that the King might die when you abandon the first fort; at the very least, almost all of your population will and all of your construction will be devastated by whatever it is that tears up forts after abandonment.
NOTE: I didn't mean to be sarcastic with the starting comment I actually have not played DF since Christmas and although I know the new release isn't out yet if you had a mod or something to keep forts in tact I would be interested to hear about it.
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

Garky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 12:50:27 am »

Another thread on this forum gave me the idea. A few folks mentioned that once your fortress is a mountainhome, if you abandon the settlement continues on without you. I haven't confirmed this for myself though. I'm at 110 dwarves currently, so I'll find out soon!

I've already transported magma successfully, but yes you must visit in adventurer mode to make it work. Create, abandon, create, abandon, adventurer, win! I even got to loot my adventurer and trade his gear to the fall caravan.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 01:34:20 am »

I don't know about the mountainhome condition, but I do know that if you start an adventurer with Play Now! immediately after abandoning, it starts you pretty much right after abandonment - everything (items and units) will be scattered, but everything will still be alive.

Which is awesome if you've breached HFS and sealed it right back up - all of the previously sealed nasties might be teleported right smack into a major hallway. Hilarity ensues.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0