Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: What to do with a clock?  (Read 23158 times)

Jyppa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What to do with a clock?
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2010, 07:02:35 pm »

That is awesome. In your example, though, I would probably instead opt for building a four-step repeater, set to start from an "inert" first position (constant signal on to bridge) to take three "empty" steps (no connection to bridge, sending a constant "off") with the week increments from week one to week three, during the desired months. To create the secondary cycle, you'd need to setup a resistor chamber like before, but connect it with three gears in parallel, one being disconnected by any of the three month triggers, one being triggered by any of weeks 1-3, and the last following the "every week" trigger. The result is a really cheap and dirty equivalent of the pretty logic system you described :). If you really had to make it an interval of days not divisible into weeks, you could just make an N-step cycle that activates and takes exactly one pass at the completion of another cycle counting weeks. The benefit here is that you don't need to make room for logic gates.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 07:18:35 pm by Jyppa »

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2010, 07:21:05 pm »

Can you put all this up on your page in the wiki? This is some amazing stuff that could be useful to megaprojects.

Imagine a fort where certain parts were only accessible for a portion of the year. You could have an Autumn, Winter, Spring and Summer wing in your fortress. Automatic dwarven vacation mechanism. Automatic simulated siege mechanism. The possibilities are endless and awesome.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2010, 07:51:31 pm »

Can you put all this up on your page in the wiki? This is some amazing stuff that could be useful to megaprojects.

Imagine a fort where certain parts were only accessible for a portion of the year. You could have an Autumn, Winter, Spring and Summer wing in your fortress. Automatic dwarven vacation mechanism. Automatic simulated siege mechanism. The possibilities are endless and awesome.

Dwarf Anathem

TKGP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2010, 08:16:34 pm »

Sure, but what if a dorf was in one of the sections when it was closed off? I guess you could have a one-way corridor leading out.
Quote from: tomio175
Quote from: Mrhappyface
Well if COD players all have ADHD, and Minecrafters autism, then what do DF players all have?
Cave adaption.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2010, 08:36:18 pm »

And the possibilities will only grow once we can control where dwarves go in general with burrows.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2010, 12:13:10 am »

Has simple irrigation been mentioned? Flood your underground tower-cap farm on the first day of spring every year.

Jyppa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2010, 01:34:47 am »

Actually noticed a small error in the textwall description, Kidiri. It's in fact the plate reset period that is 100 steps, it activates immediately. Thus, you actually get a 200 step on signal for each position, 100 for the time it waits for the pump, and another 100 before it's fully reset.

On projects, I could totally imagine splitting the fortress population into two unconnected fortresses, then have the path between them open two weeks every year for happy fun time, resulting in a population shuffle every year as the path closes behind Urist McSlowpoke.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2010, 08:37:40 am »

I was going to try this out with modded dwarves (all they do is work). All was going well, construction went fine (I choose aboveground, it's easier to correct mistakes) and then winter came, which froze the brook I was going to use as power and water source. Which forced me to re-embark again. The first time I forgot to bring a pick and an axe...

Actually noticed a small error in the textwall description, Kidiri. It's in fact the plate reset period that is 100 steps, it activates immediately. Thus, you actually get a 200 step on signal for each position, 100 for the time it waits for the pump, and another 100 before it's fully reset.
So the water hits the plate, 100 ticks later it's activated and immediately toggles the gear assembly. The water gets pumped out and 100 ticks after that it resets to it's original state and toggles the assembly again.
Also how did you synchronize the clock with the in-game clock?
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2010, 12:20:43 pm »

This is very cool  ;D.

I'm building a clock tower to display the time to my entire city.
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

Jyppa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2010, 12:35:40 pm »

I was going to try this out with modded dwarves (all they do is work). All was going well, construction went fine (I choose aboveground, it's easier to correct mistakes) and then winter came, which froze the brook I was going to use as power and water source. Which forced me to re-embark again. The first time I forgot to bring a pick and an axe...

So the water hits the plate, 100 ticks later it's activated and immediately toggles the gear assembly. The water gets pumped out and 100 ticks after that it resets to it's original state and toggles the assembly again.
Also how did you synchronize the clock with the in-game clock?

When the water hits the plate, it is immediately activated and the corresponding pump disabled. 100 (or 99, it spent a step in the air) steps later, it is pumped off the plate and onto the next. Another 100 steps later, the previous plate resets, activating the current pump, etc. That means that each "delayed" plate in the cycle sends at least 198-199 steps of on signal. Short version: activation is instant, deactivation delays exactly 100.

I synced my clock with three levers on the same level as the mechanisms. Blue one stops entire clock, use it to sync the day cycle. The yellow jumps one day forward and the grey one skips a week, use after you've got the day timing right to compensate for the delay you induced in the process.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2010, 02:43:10 pm »

This is an incredible invention! Bookmarking this for future reference.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2010, 04:00:08 pm »

It's alive! ALIVE! And completely synced. But then a muskox calf decided to get in the way. And now I've lost track of time. The bastard. And here we go again, with the counting and all...
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 04:15:35 pm by Kidiri »
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Earth Striker Lurin

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's Go to Work...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2010, 04:40:37 pm »

although amazing, how does this hold up to sieges?  bodies would mess up the time possibly ):
"So I looked to the left of me, looked to the right of me, raised the giant's severed arm above my head and said 'Let's go to work...'"   -- Lurin Diamondfist relating the time he had to mine without a pick axe.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2010, 05:16:04 pm »

If you build it entirely underground and hermetically sealed (including the power source), there would be nothing to interrupt the flow of the water. That way, it's completely safe from outdoor threats.

Also, it is completely functional. I'll try and link up a bridge to be opened when it's Granite.

EDIT: It's completely operational and synchronised with the clock. I think I'll be trying to make a decimal seven segment display, linked to levers and various gates to see how it should be done. Next, I'll make an adder to count the years. And finally, if all goes well I'll link everything up to each other, and hopefully have a fully functional clock. With a digital years display. From there, it wouldn't be hard to make a display for the months and days as well. Possibly even the hours.That would be awesome.

EDIT2: Research has been done. It seems that the easiest way is to steal the ideas from Kanddak's Numberabbey. And to be more precise the click counter and the display. However, the display is in hex, and I would want to have mine in decimal. If somebody can help, I would be most thankful. As for now, sleep. It's half past one and my brain's already fried by just copying Jyppa's design.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 07:28:48 pm by Kidiri »
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.

Jyppa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2010, 01:17:49 am »

If I wanted to make a decimal display to be used exclusively by a clock, I'd just build two or more 10-step repeaters representing 10^1 - 10^N [time units], then hooking the input plates to the appropriate trigger plate, and the output plates to one 7-segment display each (would have to modify input slightly, but could simplify the 7-segment controller quite a bit). You would get the slightly odd effect of new segments turning on 100 ticks before the superfluous ones close, so it couldn't be used to count hours, which is basically the limit of this model. I'm not sure how the system acts if two plates are active and linked to one object and one plate resets, but if the object still stays "on", then you could slim down the 7-segment controller to only a hatch cover right above each segment on switch to make them at least snap on the instant they're activated. Still, the bridge and pressure plate delay makes this meaningful only for periods of half a day or so. Might build a simple demo that counts to 12 for months. Would use a two-step and a 10-step here, with steps 3-9 on the 10^1 counter automatically skipping back to 1 when the 10^1 number is 1, for which I'd just use my ugly (A||B)&&(C||D) two-gear structure (Can make any sequence of AND/OR as long as I can build a gear for every AND).

True Dwarfputing is way cooler, though.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6