Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Waste Disposal System  (Read 919 times)

ShadowLuigi147

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McPicard has entered a martial trance!
    • View Profile
Waste Disposal System
« on: February 07, 2010, 04:24:54 am »

So, basically, I'm going to try use a magma and possibly water, so do any of you use them? If you do, post some plans or something. I'm not sure how to go about this, but I think I can use a series of ramps down to a bottomless pit to dump the lava/water. Possibly build above it to make a torture device, but I dunno yet.
Ah, Dwarf Fortress. The only game where it's considered perfectly normal to discuss the most efficient method of farming and butchering friendly sentient beings for their valuable bones...

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Waste Disposal System
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 04:41:59 am »

Make a pit/garbage zone about a magma square and throw junk into it.
Quote from: mrbobbyg
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.

ShadowLuigi147

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 04:43:44 am »

Oh...well..thats just simple...
Ah, Dwarf Fortress. The only game where it's considered perfectly normal to discuss the most efficient method of farming and butchering friendly sentient beings for their valuable bones...

yuriatayde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 05:29:17 am »

Build a dump site over a drawbridge. Once full of trash, you pull a lever to launch the garbage across the air, to land in a big pool of magma. With some modifications, you could use the same system to make obsidian. Depending on how far it flings the trash, you could build it to launch over an area where dwarfs live/work/congregate. Personally, I'd make it over the trade depot for the WTF reactions. My fort would be world renowned as the traders explain their first hand experiences with garbage flying overhead for no good reason! Could I have found a more efficient way to deal with my trash? Maybe...

ShadowLuigi147

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 05:43:34 am »

Good idea...now, instead, make them fire over your walls and into the enemies when they siege. You could do it with body parts too...
The look on the elves faces when a barrage of assorted body parts hit them :D

Heliomance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 06:49:07 am »

Build a dump site over a drawbridge. Once full of trash, you pull a lever to launch the garbage across the air, to land in a big pool of magma. With some modifications, you could use the same system to make obsidian. Depending on how far it flings the trash, you could build it to launch over an area where dwarfs live/work/congregate. Personally, I'd make it over the trade depot for the WTF reactions. My fort would be world renowned as the traders explain their first hand experiences with garbage flying overhead for no good reason! Could I have found a more efficient way to deal with my trash? Maybe...

Nah, Dwarven Science was performed on the bridgeapult. It's far too unpredictable to actually use in such a manner. Far from launching everything on it in the direction of raising, that's the one direction in which stuff won't go.

gerkinzola

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 10:09:19 am »

by rubbish u do mean captives right? well toss them off a 100z level tower on to a bridge and procede to fling the bodyparts at sieges or u could just toss them 100z levels onto enemies

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 12:28:39 pm »

I have built an automatic device for incinerating refuse with magma in my current fortress, Pagedslipped.

The device is built around a single tile stockpile which accepts remains, body parts, rotten skins and spoiled food, and other undesirable materials.  Access to the refuse stockpile is through a short corridor containing pressure plates and hatches.  The first pressure plate is a safety switch which triggers only for friendly creatures of less than size six.  This is linked to a hatch over an escapable pit immediately following it, and serves as a safety device to keep children and pets from following dwarves through the device.

Immediately before the refuse pile is a second pressure plate which triggers for adult dwarves.  This pressure plate opens a hatch in the entrance corridor, blocking the dwarf from exiting the way he came in, and opens a door to a different corridor leading out of the chamber.  When a dwarf drops off a chunk of refuse in the pile, he will then find the way he came in blocked, and will have to take a separate path out.

The path out has a pressure plate which opens a floor hatch, holding a tile full of magma, above the refuse pile.  It also triggers a floodgate located on the exit of a pump which removes magma from the pile.  The hatch triggers immediately, dropping the magma on the pile.  A hundred ticks later the floodgate opens and the magma is removed from the pile and pumped back onto the top of the floor hatch.  This is enough time for the refuse to catch on fire.  Once it has burned away, the device is clear and ready to use again.

This device automatically incinerates refuse, and requires no manual activation on my part at all.  It's also so far failed to accidentally set any dwarves or animals on fire.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 02:14:27 pm »

I'm currently using a system of a small doored chamber enclosing a grate and the 'out' end of a steel screw pump.
Refuse is dumped on the grate. When there is a sufficient amount, the doors are locked and the pump pumped.
The magma goes up, and then back down through the grate, until the pump is stopped. Things catch fire, rocks should melt, and smoke clears out through a grate in the ceiling.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.