Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Combat Schools  (Read 877 times)

CapnSafety

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Combat Schools
« on: February 06, 2010, 10:04:18 pm »

This is mainly a World Gen suggestion but it occurred to me that during a world generation, some styles of combat could have progressed much more than others, and that fighting style could have a bonus.  Where as the weapons that didn't get too much development would be at a disadvantage, or not exist entirely.  And maybe a step farther, make weapons and armor regional, but I could be taking this idea too far.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Combat Schools
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 10:30:35 pm »

"Regional" weapons don't exist (yet), but regional armour does - depending on how each civ is set up they'll have a random chance of getting each item they're set up to use (masks are UNCOMMON for goblins but RARE for humans; far fewer human civs will use masks than goblin civs). It's a little weak at the moment, yes, but it is there.

As for specific weapon usage and such: One would hope such would be covered with the above and some of the recent additions to the weapon system in the next version, but this'll eventually get into a discussion of procedural "advancement" (technological/cultural; we've already got procedural cultures of sorts in the works), which I'm sure has been discussed before.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 10:23:31 am »

To give a little more perspective on the future of combat styles in DF, here are some in-depth remarks that Toady made a while back:

Spoiler: long quotes (click to show/hide)

Also, there was at least one previous thread about combat styles, so those ideas should be taken into account here.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 07:14:09 pm »

so strikes with difent body parts used
i.e. some fist types
  • Plam
    has less risk of injury to the striker hand
  • knifehand strike
    the old karate chop suitable targets are neck, the jugular, the throat, collar bones, vertebra, upper arm, the wrist (knife hand block), the elbow (outside knife hand block), and the knee cap (leg throw)
  • reverse knife-hand,
    suitable targets include the mastoid muscles of the neck, the jugular, throat, nose, jaw, and the groin.
  • Spear hand
    The ideal targets are the eyes and throat
  • Hammerfist,
    the head,temples,nose,the wrist (for blocking punches), the sternum, and the ear
  • Extended knuckle,
    attacks to pressure points, as the knuckles are much too fragile for percussive blows to other areas.
kicks are more fun but it is  harder to do kicks in a fight.
does any one see dwarfs doing
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 12:59:31 pm »

The problem is that it's not clear how such "techniques" would be easily generated on-the-fly (which is really the point of this suggestion). We have seperate striking/wrestling/GRASP-based/STANCE-based attacks in the next version, but so long as tags such as GRASP and STANCE are the only way the game differentiates between applicable body parts, procedurally generating techniques would be impossible - how does the game tell the difference between a hand and a grasping pincer?