Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [40d17] Long standing rocket wagon/slowboat wagon bug [POSSIBLE CAUSE FOUND]  (Read 4602 times)

TheBeardyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In the first autumn of my first 40d17 fort, the dwarven caravan arrives and one wagon reaches the depot in less than a second; the distance from the edge to my depot is half the width of a 16x16 site. The other wagon never reaches the depot, so trading is impossible.

Reproducible with this save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1841

EDIT:

Experimentation with the [SPEED] tags of both wagons and dwarves suggest that the cause of this bug is the omission of [SPEED] tags from the definitions of [CREATURE]s referred to by trading [ENTITY]s. Adding a [SPEED] tag to such a [CREATURE] causes the referring [ENTITY]'s wagons to move at normal speed, regardless of the value of the [SPEED] tag, so the default value of 900 can be entered for [CREATURE]s affected by this bug.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 09:40:07 am by TheBeardyMan »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40d17] Dwarven merchants in horse doping scandal! [reproducible]
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 11:41:21 pm »

Its been around since forever, for me at least. We'll have to see if its still in for the next release.

This stuff can be very annoying as a rocket wagon is almost always accompanied by a slowboat wagon. In my last fort, at one point I had TWO slowboat wagons, gah!

TheBeardyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40d17] Dwarven merchants in horse doping scandal! [reproducible]
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 06:01:20 am »

OK, I appear to have found a very strange workaround for this. Adjust the [SPEED] of dwarves to 0, and both wagons move at normal speed.

TheBeardyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Further experimentation reveals that the value of the dwarves [SPEED] tag doesn't have to be 0. Setting it to the default of 900 has exactly the same effect: both wagons travel at normal speed. It looks like the fix for the rocket wagon/slowboat wagon bug is to never omit the [SPEED] tag from a trading race.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40d17] Long standing rocket wagon/slowboat wagon bug [FIXED!]
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 07:59:43 am »

Quote from: Dwarf Fortress
You know, there arn't really any files that say how fast these wagons should be going. I think I'll give one super speed and make one super slow. Then they can be brothers and be rivals and one will be evil and at the end of the game there will be a big boss fight between them. Wagon Fortress. Yeaaah!

Is this what the game was thinking?
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: [40d17] Long standing rocket wagon/slowboat wagon bug [FIXED!]
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 09:04:16 am »

Further experimentation reveals that the value of the dwarves [SPEED] tag doesn't have to be 0. Setting it to the default of 900 has exactly the same effect: both wagons travel at normal speed. It looks like the fix for the rocket wagon/slowboat wagon bug is to never omit the [SPEED] tag from a trading race.

Whoa, this is valuable information that might really help Toady track the bug down.  I suggest you edit a summary into the OP, and change the title's "FIXED" to "POSSIBLE CAUSE FOUND" -- "fixed" kinda implies that the bug is gone now or something.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile

Interesting. Might even be worth mailing Toady directly, especially since it doesn't seem to be in the official buglist.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I believe I've had the speed on 0 (to clean up quicker from an ambush) while the slowboat wagons were present on the map and it didn't help.

AFAIK, the humans have never had this issue, only the dwarves, so you're probably onto something here.

This kind of bug can be hard to test because it doesn't always happen, BUT when it does happen, the same wagon (might actually be the exact same wagon every time) tends to appear regularily.

ZJVavrek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've been getting this bug recently, and it's exacerbated by the fact that I'm on a 16x16 map (I imagine that if it were 2x2, the caravan could reach me before it left).  However, I've never toyed with the raws before and, simply enough, I don't know *where* to place that SPEED tag you're describing.

If anyone could help me out with a filename, heading, that sort of thing, I would be very grateful.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions

The file is raw/objects/creature_standard.txt, and the place you would add the SPEED token would be anywhere within the Dwarf creature definition, ideally right after the SWIM_SPEED token.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've been getting this bug recently, and it's exacerbated by the fact that I'm on a 16x16 map (I imagine that if it were 2x2, the caravan could reach me before it left).  However, I've never toyed with the raws before and, simply enough, I don't know *where* to place that SPEED tag you're describing.

If anyone could help me out with a filename, heading, that sort of thing, I would be very grateful.

Ouch, I feel for ya. I play on 6x6 maps and they generally get there soon before they are set to pack up and move out when I get the slowboat wagon bug.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile

Interseting - I had the same problem with an absurdly fast wagon, but I never touched the raws in the slightest.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Interseting - I had the same problem with an absurdly fast wagon, but I never touched the raws in the slightest.

That's because the raws leave the dwarves and humans without a speed tag BY DEFAULT.  You'd have to edit it in yourself to fix it.

Hrm, I have a turtle-speed wagon in my current fort (well, it's not THERE right now, but it's shown up twice).  Would adding this require me to restart my fortress to "change" their speed and hopefully fix their wagons?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile

No, it shouldn't require you to restart your fortress.  All you should have to do is save the game, add the tag, and load the game.  It might even work if you do it while the wagon's on your map.  Let us know what happens!
Pages: [1] 2