Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 22

Author Topic: High adventure on the Inner Planes: Level Up  (Read 16536 times)

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: High adventure on the Inner Planes [DnD 3.5]
« Reply #105 on: March 09, 2010, 05:46:58 am »

I reaaally doubt such a character being Lawful.
It's sort of like the relationship between squares and rectangles; just as all squares are rectangles but not all rectangles are squares, all characters who make important choices by rolling for it are chaotic, but not all chaotic characters will roll dice to make important choices.

Um...60 hp for a feat seems pretty powerful, to the point of "Why would anyone not take this?" it'd on its own more than double any wiz/sor's hitpoints. The Improved Toughness feat is +1hp/L, requires +2 base Fortsave.

Keep in mind that I am using RoW scaling feats and those +3 hp per level is being balanced stuff like:

Spoiler: Whirlwind (click to show/hide)
or
Spoiler: Horde Breaker (click to show/hide)

If I were making a character, I'd want to roll instead, really.
Spoiler: I'm Lucky (click to show/hide)
and I'd ask if crafting in the background is acceptable, whether traits/flaws are allowed...
Elite array is balanced with 3d6 with no rerolls, not 4d6, keep 3. So, according to those rolls your stats would be 18/16/16/12/11/11.

Assuming you are not managing to horribly screw yourself over/break the rules in half, crafting is fine. Traits/flaws would probabily be handed with the backgrounds mechanic from RoW, but honestly, as long as they are of similar scale to a background, then you could take a set of traits/flaws.

and setting-specifically whether dwarves are too hated by locals to be allowed in goblin hacienda.
No worse off than an orc in a human town. The main issue is that there is already a party member who hates dwarves.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: High adventure on the Inner Planes [DnD 3.5]
« Reply #106 on: March 09, 2010, 01:53:06 pm »

and setting-specifically whether dwarves are too hated by locals to be allowed in goblin hacienda.
No worse off than an orc in a human town. The main issue is that there is already a party member who hates dwarves.
Damn, there goes my character. I had what I thought to be a great backstory for my Dwarf Caver (another name for Ranger). I guess I'm out until I come up with a suitable character.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: High adventure on the Inner Planes [DnD 3.5] Looking for players!
« Reply #107 on: March 09, 2010, 04:02:11 pm »

I don't necessary hate dwarves, just distrust them. I works kinda like this:

Dwarf +1 hate.
Magi from a organization + 1 hate.
Dwarf from the hold that kicked him out + around 3 hate.
Magi from the organization that kicked him out + around 3 hate.

Of course you cant have hate represented by numbers but it gives a idea. The reaction would depend upon what his mood was and who the particular dwarf was. If he was feeling sorry for himself than probably he would hate more and if he was feeling that he made a mistake or if he was reminiscing (not something he does a lot) he would hate less, he also still respects and feels a sort of love towards his mentor. Probably if he lives long enough he will start to go slightly insane with his own power and turn his hot furry in to cold burning hate towards dwarfs, other magi, and life in general. But that is a long time off.

Inother news I got a lot of Dnd books in the mail the last several days so Yay!  ;D
((OOC) Yay, a rouge.)
AAAAAAAARGH
What?

Any way take out crossbow and follow the party down to the large tunnel to the southwest.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 09, 2010, 08:15:34 pm »

((OOC) Yay, a rouge.)
AAAAAAAARGH
What?
Methinks Sir Kobold is making an exclamation about the rogue having no ranks in Search. Or maybe he's just really bummed about not being able to use his Dwarf Rogue.

Ulfgar Ungart, on Myth Weavers. I fixed a lot of glaring errors in my backstory, but nothing was changed.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 07:08:50 pm by Mephisto »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 09, 2010, 11:10:42 pm »

Necromancer who dislikes dwarfs+Dwarf who dislikes necromancers=Fun roll playing opportunities ;D

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 09, 2010, 11:23:23 pm »

Necromancer who dislikes dwarfs+Dwarf who dislikes necromancers=Fun roll playing opportunities ;D
I thought so. I thought you were being kind of sarcastic until I pressed reply and saw that you tacked a smily face on the end. I guess my browser is just screwy and doesn't show them.

I can change my character if you would like. If it's fine, I'm sure I can come up with a reason why I'm sticking around. It may evolve into some kind of Gimli vs. Legolas type thing (I realize the necromancer isn't an elf, but the idea still fits) or we could end up hating each other (in-character, of course). :D
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 11:28:18 pm by Mephisto »

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 10, 2010, 02:21:42 am »

Story is good. You're in. Find some way to find the party. Or just happen to have been there in the background. Possible backgrounds:

Boatmurdered Ranger Corps
You were in the Boatmurdered Caver Corps. In Boatmurdered. You've seen stuff that would make other dwarve's nightmares piss their togas. Things to not frighten you anymore.
Effects: Nothing phases you anymore. You are immunue to fear.

RoyaltyCaver of a Fallen Nation
Welcome to the harsh realities of the Iron Age. If the last hard core member of a fortress dies, there is nothing keeping people from arbitrarily taking all their lands and gold away. Such was apparently the case with your homeland. Your country was crushed and defeated while you were performing some sort of mission for the rulers. Now, you have nowhere to report back to.
Effect: You get free drinks when people find out about your tragic past and people are generally sympathetic to your plight. You also have a mission or task which your are honor-bound to complete, even if the people who sent you are long since dead or enslaved.

Mechanical stuff:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 10, 2010, 03:38:26 pm »

((OOC) Yay, a rouge.)
AAAAAAAARGH
What?
Methinks Kobold is making an exclamation about the rogue having no ranks in Search. Or maybe he's just really bummed about not being able to use his Dwarf Rogue.
no, it's the spelling. Also, that use should be "fazes".

I think I'll just be confused about balance and see how you folk fare.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 10, 2010, 08:47:56 pm »

Ahhh, rouge and rogue, sorry  :P

Edit: I am also somewhat worried about balance issues, TOMB games and characters are quite a stronger and I worry about the non-TOMB, we will cross that bridge when we come to it. (Although I AM a wizard so if I cant keep up it is my own darn fault :P)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 08:52:52 pm by Criptfeind »

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 10, 2010, 09:08:12 pm »

TOMB? I am unfamiliar with the term. If it's a splatbook, I'm sure I've got it. I'm just not up on my acronyms.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 10, 2010, 11:52:36 pm »

TOMB does not, to my knowledge, exist. He's refering to Tome, I think, which is a set of extensive house rules which are linked in the first post.

Tome rules are balanced around the idea that a fighter is supposed to be equal with a wizard and, therefore, the 1 feat per 2 levels that a Fighter gets must be as good as the 2 spells known per 1 level that a Wizard gets. Spells are really really good, which means that feats need to suddenly become much, much more powerful than they are in the core rules.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 11, 2010, 12:09:32 am »

One question: Time zone?
I'm am really interested in this.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 11, 2010, 12:33:54 am »

I'm in central, but we are doing this as play by post now, since nobody can get on at the same times.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 11, 2010, 12:47:29 am »

Ah. What characters do you have, then?

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 11, 2010, 12:58:31 am »

Haurach, Chaotic Neutral Kobold Sorcerer
Ignacius, Lawful Neutral Halfling Rogue
Rukkuz, Chaotic Neutral Orc Barbarian
Ulfgar, Chaotic Neutral Dwarf Ranger
Urten, Lawful Evil Human Wizard

In alphabetical order, not indicative of signup time. I don't know if these are the most up-to-date and some characters have their backgrounds spread through multiple posts.

In hindsight, I should have picked a name other than Ulfgar. I've accidentally called him Urten multiple times in my writing.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 22