Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 19

Author Topic: "Do you have a couple hours to waste?" Chapter 2, Page 1  (Read 18968 times)

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Do you have a couple hours to waste?" a rp story.
« Reply #105 on: February 12, 2010, 03:26:42 pm »

Stalk the woods for a watering hole, or something like it.

Yarnspinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 13, 2010, 02:05:14 am »

Page 3

Questions from GM
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(("facepalm" i think i got it.. i never scrolled down on the typing box thingy.))

The sky is gray, a rumbling, deep from the heavens announces the Gods' intentions.  A rolling, billowing cauldron of clouds can be seen frothing about the Hawk's Heights, far to the east. The blustering menace, still miles miles away, would not strike till after dark.  The thought of a night in nearly freezing rain is not something relished by even the most stout of your band. In the back of your mind, you hope that Jon and Rame have heard the same warning.

The trails of The Crossroads twist and yaw amongst thickets of brambles, bushes and rocks.  Above your heads are the large and twisting branches of oak, ash and birch, all competing for the dappled and rare shaft of light.  Years of moss climb the trees.  At least the ground is wet this time of year, should be easy to spot tracks in the melting snow and blackish mud.  Figuring on at least the last quarter of the sun, the group of four sets out in search for watering holes and game.  Eventually, a small spire of whitish smoke can be seen hovering from the makeshift campsite.

Locate tracks.
<Rugged - Tracking(game) - 2>

Search for game animals
<no perk - 11, determined - 18>

Say a prayer to whatever Gods or Spirits Ullr who is honored here for luck on the hunt
Then Search for a largish water source nearby.

You kneel down and whisper your prayers to Ullr.  The sacrificial pots are filled with charred bones, burnt gristle and ash.  Most likely, sacrifices of the unneeded portions of successful hunts from years past.  The prayer flags are numerous and multicolored, all adorned with a worn piece of cloth fluttering on the breeze.  Upon some of the newer flags can be seen symbols and runes representing various clans that have come here for the hunt, yours among them.. as well as the Helik's.  (( early spring would be 'prime' rutting season for an angry moose))
<patrol man + goodeyes - 15>   

Stalk the woods for a watering hole, or something like it.
<no perk - 8>

The troop of four, make their way out of the clearing and away from the campsite, entering the darkening treeline.  Once faced with the actuality of the deep wood, one at least not familiar to you, it seems only smart to stick together.  The trail devolves from obvious.. to noticeable..  and finally into a ever deepening warren of underbrush and (for now) dryish creek beds.

Nearly a half hour into the search, over a small rise, and around a 3' gnarl of entangled roots, the party breaks out into a small clearing made by perfectly still pond.  The sky reflected in near perfect refection.  The only crack in this mirror of nature are the ripples inflicted by assorted fish and insects, as if they are breaking glass.

Tarn, of all people, was the first one to notice them.  A perfect set of tracks deeply set in mud and melting snow, surrounded by the scattered bloody remains of various unfortunate fish.  The funny thing was that Vladimir, the most experienced of the friends, was standing directly on top of them!

Sharing a chuckle at his expense, the four continue to follow the now apparent <17> bear tracks, <15> grizzly to be exact.  From edge to edge, the impressions are easily three times the width of your footprint. Stealing yourselves for the prize to come, the band comes upon a scar in the earth.. a hole nearly 20' wide, and 15' feet deep, the only access to the hole, a ancient fallen log, slanting to the mossy and bone-strewn floor.  Great claw markings can be seen on the surrounding tree trunks, as well as the fallen log.  In the dim, it appears as if a cave, or opening is looming at the bottom of the hole.  All is quiet but for the rustling of high branches in the wind, no beast can be heard.

Questions from GM

Condition and Gear- no change

Edited: Page 3 complete.

Zchris13 -
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 09:57:08 am by Yarnspinner »

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 13, 2010, 02:20:18 pm »

Spoiler: OOC Chat (click to show/hide)

"Right, well... I dislike the idea of walking into a bear den. We lose any advantage we have out here in there, and not even I can take on a grizzly in melee combat. I think it would be a better idea if we stayed out here, and waited for the bear to emerge, then ambush it. I have some sinew as well which we can use to make traps for smaller game like rabbits while we wait. Alternatively, we can continue on, looking for something like deer or elk, which is much better eating."
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 13, 2010, 06:22:17 pm »

*Mumbles* "If the bear sleeps then wouldn't going inside it's cave be the best option?" Tarn's eyes light up and he speaks louder. "And besides there is far more honor in taking a bear than any deer or elk. We could always use our spears to good effect in the close quaters of the cave if it does wake."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 13, 2010, 07:35:32 pm »

Action-Thinking
Little Tarn, always the one to prove himself...I wonder if it is honor or egotism that drives him to such lengths...I might as well try to think up a plan so none of us are killed in this foolishness.

Action-Saying

"Well, I suggest then, you should have go forth Tarn, and engage the bear in single combat. You need only wound it, and draw it out, and we will be waiting. The honor will be yours to claim if you wish, even if they have to carve it on your headstone. 

Assuming Tarn comes out, Ianna will be waiting with bowshot. Hopefully she can wound it.

Then I and Tarn will pen the beast in with spears, while Ianna, Jon and Rame wield torches and knives to ward off it's attacks. Vladmir will attempt to flank the creature and strike with his axe.

If anyone has a better idea, I'd like to hear it. We can't afford such competition in the hunt as this fellow, I think. This is the bears territory, either we should leave...or it should.

Alternatively, we could tell Jon the cave is filled with beautiful women, treasure, and mead, then roll a boulder over the entrance after he goes in."

Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 16, 2010, 04:17:44 pm »

Bump!

Try to get the game back on track Yarn-see if people still want to play? I do anyway...
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 16, 2010, 06:27:42 pm »

Yes it *must* continue  :)

Yarnspinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 17, 2010, 06:39:37 am »

Heh, i am still here, was waiting on Jervous.  Any suggestions as to how i should proceed?  A new player taking over Ianna? or npc Ianna, and get a new player to grab a woodsman from the village.. (ie: new character, your choice guys.) Or, continue with 3 players and a npc Ianna?  I am in it for the long haul.

EDIT:  (( i Guess Bodolf has a rather general idea that something is REALLY wrong with Rame, we could take that angle. That is what i get for dumping alot of plot knowledge on one poster because of a NAT20.  Live and learn.  Sheesh, if i describe longhouses in such over detail, i was looking forward to writing some ultra bloody combat))

EDIT2: If there is a player willing to read through this topic, or has been, and wants to get involved now is your chance.  Please read the first page of this post for character creation guidelines..  however, it is up to my 3 remaining players on how to proceed with this game..   

« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 06:54:38 am by Yarnspinner »

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 17, 2010, 08:19:00 am »

I am pretty sure I have seen Jervous posting in other topics have you tried maybe messaging him? If he is out then I am fine with continuing with three people untill someone else joins.

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 17, 2010, 09:26:35 am »

Sorry guys, I was waiting for everyone to put out their suggestions X_X

"I'm fine with that idea I guess."

Yarnspinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 17, 2010, 10:23:27 am »

Yay it's Jervous.. lol jk jk.  Does Ianna tell the other PC's about what she knows of the murder plot? You would have the time to relay that on the trail to the pond or the cave.

I need a agreed upon path of action please.  Remember, probably three and a half hours of daylight left..  and a possible storm that may hit after dark.

EDIT: If RNG doesn't object, then we will send Tarn into the Bear pit o' death as per Bodulf's idea.
EDIT2: From now on, if there is no post within.. lets say..  2 days of a posted Page # i will npc that character in hopes of keeping the game flowing.  If no post.. then i will write from the most detailed plan of action posted.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 11:06:25 am by Yarnspinner »

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 17, 2010, 11:59:52 am »

She's not going to tell them about it yet, I keep forgetting to add this to my posts >_<

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 17, 2010, 12:34:26 pm »

As long as I'm not the one walking into the bear den, the others can do whatever they want.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Yarnspinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 17, 2010, 12:48:26 pm »

PAGE 4 - coming soon.  Flintus, if you have issue with the 'plan' speak up before i complete page 4 posting please.

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 17, 2010, 06:57:45 pm »

Action - Thoughts
It may lead to an early death but I trust my ability to get out of there in time, if things go wrong that is.

Action - Speaking
"Ha if you are all afriad then I will be the one to draw the bear out just be ready when I return."

Action
Head into the cave cautiously and if the bear if awake then attempt to draw it out, if it is asleep (it is winter right?) then slit it's throat.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 19