Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19

Author Topic: "Do you have a couple hours to waste?" Chapter 2, Page 1  (Read 18898 times)

Yarnspinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Do you have a couple hours to waste?" page 16 complete.
« Reply #240 on: March 23, 2010, 02:37:12 pm »

Diakron, I am planning on writing in two more players at the beginning of chapter 2.  Chapter 2 will probably begin in two or three more pages(turns) depending on my players.  We do keep a pretty good pace on this thread.  I try to update/write a new page every two days.  No one here is a grammar or spelling nazi, but I do ask for the minimum of punctuation and capitalization.  Once again, no one here is perfect about it but we try.  That is all I really ask for.  I put effort into my posts, therefore I ask for a little effort from my players.

My plan is/was this, I want to introduce two more players.  I have recruited one of them already and he/she is patiently waiting for Chapter 2.  The other recruit I was going to leave up to my players.  So it is really their choice.

@ Dwarmin: Who is Fault?  ;)

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 23, 2010, 02:39:09 pm »

Follow Vlad back to the firepit.

Diakron

• Bay Watcher
  • Death Before Dishonor
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: March 23, 2010, 06:34:05 pm »

hey i just got fired 2 days ago i got TONS of time on my hands

im on 4 or 5 times a day now :(

hmmm character time...

((reading up on nordics i find that traditionally nords had light hair and blue eyes... huh))

Name: Haele
Male
Age: about 20ish, old enough to have gone to war but young enough to have not figured out his place in the world
Visual Description: 5' 4" dark brown hair and eyes. Heavily muscled. Scar from sternum to  right side.
Weapons of Choice: Short Swords, Nets
Positive Perks:
Survivor - After taking a sword to the chest, few survive. Haele refused to let go, dragging himself from the battle he was able to hang on long enough to reach a small hut. Luckily the old lady living there had extensive knowledge on healing wounds. ((I'm open to the idea of dragging myself to Old Matilda))

Swordsman - in a time when swords where owned by nobles only, the fact that this youngster has one, let alone being skilled in it, is one of the rarest sight to behold. Not willing to leave behind something that almost took his life he tucked it in his belt as he left the field. During his convalescence, he practiced constantly. His style may not be professional but it does the trick.

Left-Handed - Using the opposite hand in battle is a very hard skill to learn. This man was born using the off-hand. While used to fighting right-hand people, few are used to fighting left-handed people.

Negative Perks:

Left-Handed - a social stigma exist for the few truely left-handed people. Some say they are devil spawn, others say they are weak and cowardly. Either way Haele knows no friends and is often shunned, even the old crone kicked him out when she noticed it.

Refuses to use spears - Having almost lost his life when a swordman cut the head of his spear, he hates evening touching them. He carries the spear head with him at all times to remind him of what happened to him when he trusted a spear last.

Low endurance - He's still recovering from the wasting effect of infection and fever. Battle doesn't effect him much but things like running, hauling, and lifting quickly drain his stamina.

/// i think that is everything

Edit: some of this is changing due to some talks me and Yarnspinner are having
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 10:32:10 pm by Diakron »
Back to Mafia with me!

Yarnspinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 23, 2010, 06:52:24 pm »

Yes this is true.  However, we are only quasi-realistic in this game.  Actual time lines of real life events may be widely skewed.  You will be written in as one of the woodsmen/women of the village of Sundin.  Remember, I am looking for younger characters.  Max age is about twenty.

Edit: Just clarification.  Being a woodsman in no way limits you career path.  It is just a communal effort to raise a barn in the village.  I had named the group 'the woodmen' in previous pages.  It was a description of a group, not a profession.  My apologies for the confusion.

Edit2: I just got an idea for a write-in for you.. this will work.

Edit3: I am sending you a PM to see if you are amenable to my idea.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 07:46:42 pm by Yarnspinner »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 24, 2010, 12:02:56 pm »

Sorry bout that Yarnspinner...Fault is a GM of another game I'm on >.>
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Yarnspinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Do you have a couple hours to waste?" page 17 complete.
« Reply #245 on: March 24, 2010, 03:10:01 pm »

The Hawk Ridge Mountains lie in the distance to the east.  Large white slopes trail down steep granite faces, ending in sparse green enclaves of high growth.  The profile of the mountains draw further down to the upper treeline.  Box canyons and twisting valleys dominate the lower heights.  Head waters are formed from melting snow.  Creating the clearest of springs and the purest high water lakes to be found.  These springs merge into numerous creeks which flood with frightening speed as the elevation of terrain lowers.  Early spring has always been a double edged sword.

Follow Vlad back to the firepit.
Stitch Ianna's wounds shut.

No wait... that could become infected... We need to cauterize this first.

Erm... Head back to the firepit?
Actions: Tarn, wide eyed and panting heavily manages to say "You...you two had best find Rame." Before he falls back sitting on the ground still in shock. He looks around and prepares to go pick up his second blade and his spear.

The bloody and muddy warriors make their way back down the twisting maze of trails.<?>  They pass by numerous tracks that were made by bare feet moving at high speed.<?>  Broken branches betray the lack of effort at hiding their movement.  This is very unusual for the Helik.  Their clan is famous for stealth and ambush, often making premier scouts and flankers.  Vladimir and Ianna both round the last bramble thicket and come upon Tarn and Jon at the campsite.  A large bloody mess of a human lies at Tarn's feet.  Jon is hobbling, rubbing his knee while his face bleeds profusely. 

Tarn is covered in spattered blood and bits of reddish flesh. The man staggers a bit as he gets to his feet<?>.  He pries his blade from the whitened knuckles of the corpse with a bit of effort and finds his spear stuck in the ground behind a clay pot.<?>  Jon turns to Vladimir and Ianna and says, "Bodulf went into the treeline over there." He points towards a slanting treeline about a fifty feet to the west. "He went looking for that little runt Rame and TOLD everyone to stay here."  Jon grumbles a bit at the thought of being ordered to do something, but is in no shape to argue.

Actions, thinking-Oh Great, the giant has a brother. He's probably bigger than him. And how big is their father?! and mother! They must be a whole family of giants!

Actions, saying to all-"Everyone stay here, I'm going to look for Rame, or whatever is left of him *sigh*. Get ready to move out, leave everything behind that will slow us down-this war party is heading to our village, and we have to warn them."

Actions-Move toward the tree line warily, looking for any sign of Rame...or his remains.

Bodulf moves quietly through the undergrowth.<?><?>  There are many tracks evident in the mud and melting snow.  No sounds are heard as the Sundin warrior comes upon a freshly slain corpse.  A Helik scout dressed much like the one he killed in the pine forest.  His body ran through by a Sundin made spear.  The signs of battle are evident in the earth.  Multiple sets of tracks, maybe four or five were involved.  A thin film of blood lies splashed on a nearby rock.<?> Rame is no where to be found.  Bodulf follows the tracks slowly as they lead down a small rocky hill.  He parts the branches of a low growing shrub as he sees what looks like a entire village worth of Heliks attempting to cross a shallow yet swiftly moving stream.  Cooking pots, blankets and long tent poles are lashed to backs as young and old trundle forward sloppily in column.  You count maybe fifty souls, none of them a warrior.

Condition:
Bodulf:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Ianna:
Vladimir:
Tarn:
Rame:
Jon:

Gear:
Tarn

Page 17 Complete
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 09:53:14 pm by Yarnspinner »

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: March 24, 2010, 10:16:50 pm »

Check campfire to see if it's still hot. If so, heat my axehead and use it to cauterize Ianna's wound, then stitch it shut. If not, then... start a fire.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 02:47:59 pm by RandomNumberGenerator »
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 24, 2010, 10:59:39 pm »

Actions-Move back to the clearing and report my findings.

Actions, Talking="I'm back...okay...we got damn near the entire Helik village trying to cross up stream-they are all old men, children and women. I couldn't find Rame...but I think he got one of the scum, so he might not be dead. Captured or escaped more likely.

What do you guys wanna do? It's clear the Heliks are out for blood, maybe they even want to settle in our territory. We could go back and warn the village-if we stay here, we will get flattened for sure, especially when they realize their scouts are, uh "missing".

He sighs and casts a concerned look at Ianna-"Nasty scratch you got there Ianna. You all right?"

OOC: Yarnspinner, about what amounts for "diplomacy" in these times? Like if I went up to the Helik group and asked to speak for their leader, would they more likely

A. Agree and invite me into their midst for pork and wine
B. Chase me away with rocks and pointy sticks
C. Skin the flesh from my bones and make a kilt out of it

I need to know if we can try to "talk it out" under the pretense of cease fire or if the age is just far too brutal for such things.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 25, 2010, 01:02:37 am »

Sit by the fire making sure not to aggrivate my leg wound further and eat something.

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: March 25, 2010, 04:04:39 pm »

Ianna shows Bodulf her hand. While munching a bit of food if any is nearby. "I think I need it stitched up.."

Yarnspinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: March 25, 2010, 06:19:44 pm »

@ Dwarmin -- the simple answer is you don't know.  Diplomacy is normally done via one clan sending a peacemaker or diplomat, with a small guard, to the host.  In the field things are much more fluid.  It really depends on their intentions and that is something that is not known to you.

Yarnspinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Do you have a couple hours to waste?" page 18 complete.
« Reply #251 on: March 27, 2010, 01:18:37 pm »

Metallurgy is still a science in it's infancy.  It is the age of Iron.  In the far northlands iron itself is somewhat uncommon.  The materials may be available but the skilled craftsmen and blacksmiths are in short supply.  Although long-daggers, axes and spears are the norm only the truly powerful, rich or lucky own a sword that could be considered 'long' or 'two-handed'.  The sword smiths that do exist are of an elite level.  Working with inlaid silver, gems stones and other precious metals, some of the finest swords known outside of the orient are produced in the wild north.

Ianna shows Bodulf her hand. While munching a bit of food if any is nearby. "I think I need it stitched up.."
Sit by the fire making sure not to aggrivate my leg wound further and eat something.
Check campfire to see if it's still hot. If so, heat my axehead and use it to cauterize Ianna's wound, then stitch it shut. If not, then... start a fire.
Actions-Move back to the clearing and report my findings.

Actions, Talking="I'm back...okay...we got damn near the entire Helik village trying to cross up stream-they are all old men, children and women. I couldn't find Rame...but I think he got one of the scum, so he might not be dead. Captured or escaped more likely.

What do you guys wanna do? It's clear the Heliks are out for blood, maybe they even want to settle in our territory. We could go back and warn the village-if we stay here, we will get flattened for sure, especially when they realize their scouts are, uh "missing".

He sighs and casts a concerned look at Ianna-"Nasty scratch you got there Ianna. You all right?"

Everyone except Bodulf gathers around the campfire taking a seat on an old fallen log.  Jon grabs a handful of snow and cups in over his badly swollen nose with a grimace.  Smiling, the older kinsman says with a now nasally voice,"Heh, I guess you aren't dogs anymore."  Almost a look of satisfaction crosses his face for the slightest of moments.  He glances at each of the gathered, all of them sporting some sort of wound.  "Been a rough day huh?  Don't worry my youthful kinsmen.. You are now truly warriors of the Sundin, proven by blood, not just by birthright.  I am proud to see the next generation is as strong as the last.  Cause ya' know, I had my doubts"

Vladimir runs his hand across the still blazing coals of the campfire.  It was still plenty hot, the coals glowing a feint red under its ashen blanket.  stoking the fire a bit with a longish branch the feint red turns bright with the helpful breeze that trickles into the clearing.  The blade of Vladimir's axe turns hue slightly as the heat of the coals leaps into the iron.  The beak of the axe luckily<?> seems as if it would fit the bow shaped wound on Ianna's hand perfectly.  Ianna reluctantly spreads her fingers and turns her head while Tarn holds her arms still.  "Oh shit!" escapes Jon's lips as he turns his face, cringing.  Ripples of heat waft from iron as Ianna begins to feel the heated axe blade approach her skin.  <sizzle><crackle><sizzle> Ianna's thin frame bucks in natural reaction to the searing of her flesh. <?(-2)=?> She traps the shrieks of pain in her chest as nothing but mouthed curse words escape with no breath behind them. She suffers in self-imposed silence.  Jon uncovers his face that was hidden within a web of fingers, revealing a look of complete disgust as a thin trail of burnt flesh was turned into smoke and wafted towards him.  Jon nearly vomits<?(-2)=?> but maintains control of his stomach.  The wound was almost closed..  Vladimir produces his needle and sinew and prepares to knit up the remaining opening.

'Wait, Vladimir.. I have something better for that than thread.."  His nose no longer bleeding but still swollen the man begins rummaging through his pack.. "Here, give her this.." He hands Vladimir and Tarn both a blue mushroom poultice prepared by Old Matilda.  Vladimir recognizes it right away<?(+4)=?>.  The smell is that of what was in the broken pot with the slingshot debacle.  The horrid odor was hard to forget.  Vladimir wraps the poultice around Ianna's hand, finishing it off expertly with a fancy knot.<?(+4)=?>  The active ingredients begin to work immediately as a tingle slowly replaces the pain of the burn and the gash.  A soft analgesic works it's magics as the agony of the incident is quickly forgotten, replaced by Bodulf sprinting out of the undergrowth as if the devil himself was chasing him. *read what Bodulf says in his quote*

Jon looks at Bodulf in shock... "There are KIDS? and ELDERS?  What the hell is going on here?!?"  He casts a concerned eye at Tarn's leg..  "Can you move?  I am going to be a bit slow with my knee.. but, damn it.. I am going to die trying.  How about you?" Jon looks Tarn straight in the eyes for the first time in years.  "We need to move now!  Bodulf is right.. back to the village in all haste.  Rame told me about the bear.. it should keep where it is for at least a week weather permitting." He shrugs in understanding.

Jon gathers his scattered belongings and stuffs them into his pack.  He pries his blade from the dead grip of Arttuik and spit on the corpse.  "Someone douse the fire please." The four of you come to complete stop and exchange shocked looks.  This was the first time you have ever heard Jon say please.  Tarn finishes wrapping the poultice around his leg.  The wound closes almost immediately as the clot is reformed almost on contact with the cloth.  "Finish up, what ya' gotta do quickly and tell me when yas are ready." 

Condition:
Bodulf:
Ianna:
Vladimir:
Tarn:
Jon:

Page 18 complete
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 02:57:34 pm by Yarnspinner »

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 27, 2010, 04:31:37 pm »

"A whole village... migrating? Perhaps... it isn't an invasion. Maybe the Helik are fleeing from something else. Though that doesn't explain why they attacked us..."

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 27, 2010, 06:01:03 pm »

"It is...weird. But we should just get back to the village. Frederich will know what to do."

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 27, 2010, 08:26:50 pm »

Agree to head back to the village.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19