Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 19

Author Topic: "Do you have a couple hours to waste?" Chapter 2, Page 1  (Read 18966 times)

Yarnspinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Do you have a couple hours to waste?" a rp story.
« Reply #135 on: February 20, 2010, 03:59:05 am »

@ Dwarmin: Yes, you have everything you need in your hunter's kit, knives a gut punch ect. 

This bear is easily 1200 pounds, Probably bulking up to near 1800 in the fall.  More than enough fur to outfit all four of you.

If anyone wants bear skin coats hats ect, w/e you know the person to talk to would be Karl.  He is a VERY talented furrier.  Typically, a Sundin Clansman would take a single claw to be worn around the neck, signifying 'one' bear kill.   Also, if any clothing is to be made.. it would be traditional, and a point of honor, if you were wounded in the hunt (Tarn).. to have a red or blue dye marking on the garment.  Typically, a single red slash on the shoulder or chest.  It signifies that you had spilt blood for the Clan's well-being during the hunt, and still you were victorious. Plus you are now wearing what injured you, it's a pride/status thing.  It would be acceptable for ALL of you to wear it's fur, and take ALL of it for yourselves, the meat belongs to the village.

As for meat, it was the beginning of the spring, the bear wasn't fat by any means.. probably had just woken from hibernation a few weeks prior.  I would guestimate around 400 pounds of good quality bear meat, the longbones are typically fashioned into arrow shafts, various crafts(for trade) and handles/hafts for axes.  So those would be kept.  The larger bones of odd shapes ie:pelvis, sternum and spine are normally burnt in a crudely fashioned claypot as a offering. 

The skull would normally be whitewashed, then decorated brightly with dyes and garlands.  Finally it would be placed on a post on the outskirts of a village to signify the prosperity of the hunt, as well as the skill of the hunters.

In short, you have a storm that hit early, failing light<about 45 minutes left> (it will take at least a hour of all 4 of you working to carve up the bear) and 500 pounds of bear stuff to figure out how to move between 4 very hungry, tired, cold people.

The cave is looking better all the time.  You don't need to get all the meat back to village..  probably just back to the campsite with Rame and Jon.  You are expecting at least another week out here on the hunt, depending on weather/success.  ((lol, you guys were very successful.))  So, probably only smaller game will be needed, rabbits, fox, squirrel maybe even deer.  The smaller game would most likely be taken for their coats and meat.  Sundin is trying to stock up on an inventory of goods before the influx of traders from the Great White come south.

EDIT: Changed some numbers.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 04:43:20 am by Yarnspinner »

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 20, 2010, 04:44:36 am »

"I say we drag it into the cave to avoid this storm. Also I'd like to claim enough of the bear's fur to make a cloak."

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 20, 2010, 08:36:33 am »

"C-can someone get me some fur from the bear I can put on or something? I'm freezing!"

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 20, 2010, 09:36:57 am »

Yeah... I guess I'll take a fur jacket and hat, when the time comes. If we go into the cave, I suggest we post a sentry. This bear might not have been the only one living here.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 20, 2010, 10:42:04 am »

Actions-Speaking
The cave will be an excellent place to hide. This bear was big enough to have chased away other large predators for the time being, so we will be quite safe.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Yarnspinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 21, 2010, 05:55:25 am »

Page 6

With the worst of the storm smashing through the pines the party of four struggles to pull their kill into the cave.  Thank the gods for the wet rock and snow, otherwise it would lay where it fell.  Vladimir brings the rest of the fire into the cave and begins to work on the bear.  ((i am not going to describe this lol)).  Bodulf, after cleaning up, staggers back into the cave after barely beating the worst of the blizzard.<15>  The Kinsmen gather around the fire, comfy in their hole in the ground.  It is plenty warm in here, the billowing smoke from wet greenwood is being sucked out the entrance by rampaging winds and now blinding snow.

Bear on a stick, friends and laughter fill the enclosure as Tarn binds and cleans his wound.<12>  Ianna eats so much she nearly vomits <10>, the exertions of the day feeding her appetite. Bodulf nearly matches pace. Their thoughts drift back to Rame and Jon, and the hopes that they set up proper shelter.  The fire dims as does the adrenaline of the hunt.  All four eventually fall fast asleep, even Vladimir falls asleep<5> leaning on the haft of his newly cleaned axe, near the entrance of the cave.

As bad as the storm howled through the night, the opposite is true of the morning.  A perfectly pristine blanket of snow covers every possible surface. No wind and a warm sun. Any sign of the struggle with the beast is covered and hidden by white.  Forming a sort of relay, the party wraps the bear meat in bundles formed by it's own hide, tied with the straps from your kits.  They then lash the bundles to a set of constructed 'X's made from flexible 2" thick pine branches.  The load is heavy, but manageable when dragged on the fresh snow and mud.  Taking the gift of weather as a good omen, the now proven hunters make trek towards the campsite.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Gear:
Budulf
Ianna
Vladimir
Tarn

Condition
Bodulf:
Ianna:
Vladimir
Tarn 

FYI:

Gm asks:

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 21, 2010, 06:24:47 am »

Tarn moving with a bit more grace and ease now that his leg is healing looks alert, he searches the trees for the movements of any smaller game animals but to no avail. Eventually he looks up at Vladimir with a childish grin.

"I don't think you should take watch next time ya dozy bastard."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 21, 2010, 12:32:14 pm »

Brings up the rear, walking a little slower, not in any particular hurry, but still keeping up...he absentmindedly chews on a little bread as he walks...and of course, he talks, non-stop, between mouth fulls. If this is getting on the nerves of his fellows, he is oblivious to it.

Actions-Speaking

Vladmir is about as good a watchmen as I am a bread maker...which isn't very good at all! *chomp chomp* Personally, I think they might make chief when we get back to the village...*chomp chomp* I mean, without my strategical mind, the party would of probably all ran into the cave and tried to bludgeon the bear with rocks *chomp chomp* Ianna would of shot Tarn in the back likely, then skinned him and taken back to the village for supper. *chomp chomp* It's a lovely day out, isn't it? Where do you think Rame and Jon are doing? Probably still collecting firewood, or maybe one got tired of the other and pushed him in a river. *chomp chomp*
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Yarnspinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 26, 2010, 07:24:32 am »

*unlocked* my apologies.

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 26, 2010, 11:01:39 am »

"How much longer is it to camp anyway?" Ianna trudges along towards camp with the others.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 26, 2010, 12:21:26 pm »

"Chief? Ha! Your 'plan' was about as cunning as a lemming. If Ianna didn't get that lucky shot in it's eye, I can assure you more than one of us would be dead right now."

Yarnspinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 26, 2010, 12:45:38 pm »

Continue RP if you wish.. Page 7 coming soon.

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 27, 2010, 03:55:13 am »

"Using your mind because you were too afraid to go into the cave yourself." Tarn laughs "Yes a fine chief you would make, the entire world would mock us."

Yarnspinner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 27, 2010, 10:21:04 am »

Page 7

Lugging their heavy loads, the trail grabs it's passing prey.  Little vines and thorns, wrap around hilts, water skins and the runners of your meat carriers.  It is hard trudging.  The banter keeping the mood light, mostly at Vladimir's expense.  If it was any but these three or Rame, his axe would need cleaning once again.  Freshly fallen snow, maybe the last of the early spring, eventually looses it's grip as the amber rays warm their anchors.  The warmth of the sun is delightful, removing any clinging chill from the storm past.  The trails move from thin to wide easing the trek, as melting snow turns soil to mud.

Cresting a small rise, the band of four finally spies the camp.  Rame can be seen stoking a fire.  Jon appears to be passed out under a well concealed lean-to.  A thin ribbon of white smoke trails into the blue.  Seeing his friends, Rame breaks out into toothy smile, running to look at the gifts from Ullr.  "Holy shit guys!"  Rame stammers.  "Wha.., where, ho..  how? This will be enough meat to last well into summer!"  Jon rolls over, turning his back to the gathering and continues to snore loudly.

The five kinsmen begin to dig a small hole.  The dirt, still semi-frozen, makes for hard work.  Placing the bearmeat, fur and bones on top of some fresh pine boughs then covering the mass with snow, and finally several large rocks, the kill is secured.  It is nearly mid-day now.  The trek from the kill site and the securing of your prize claiming the morning.  A few clay mugs, broken twigs and empty meadhorns litter the ground around the outskirts of the fire.  Rame begins to clean up.

Gear - no change

Condition
Bodulf 
Ianna   
Vladimir 
Tarn 

Page 7 complete

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 27, 2010, 11:21:17 am »

Sit on a rock and make a few small game traps out of nearby materials and the sinew I brought.

OOC: This is how my guy unwinds and enjoys himself.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 19