Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tantrum Spirals  (Read 965 times)

Thor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tantrum Spirals
« on: February 06, 2010, 07:07:10 am »

Picture the scene, it is year 27 since time immemmorial, in the Land of Tholtig. The fortress, BoatsDaggers, has been stable for 7 years since its founding, with not a dwarven death to its name. Urist McLegendaryswimming wrestler has dispatched of all carp every season without fail and fortifications of Volcanic obsidian show the border of dwarven territory. There is no war in this land, No civilisations can reach this plateau high above the clouds.

With a 500 strong population of mighty dwarves, the Ruler of the land introduced a population control regime, known as the 1 child policy, where only 1 child would exist in BoatsDagger in a generation. This policy was recieved well, no riots, no disagreements, a legendary dining hall settles all problems.

The first child born of this policy was Mosus Sodellor, Son of Asob. He was a child cursed with the gift of clumseyness, which got him into more trouble than he was worth. Mosus was a child of wonder and curiosity, eager to explore. Exploring however got Mosus into a channel. The mighty ruler had no idea how he got there, maybe his curiosity allowed him to venture further than any entity, maybe BoatsDagger's drawbridge closed with him on it, however Mosus was trapped.

He spent well over a year dwindling away, hunger, thirst, miasma intimidation, until finally, on the 7th day of Felsite, he perished.

Urist McBoatsDaggerCivilian has lost a friend to tradegy recently x 500
Urist McBoatsDaggerCivilian cancels sleep: Went insane!

..........................What

Heroes Of My World.
Astesh Delightinks the Pungent Trust of Towers

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
Re: Tantrum Spirals
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 11:20:35 am »

Tantrum Spirals often have very humble beginnings. One of my engravers lost his pet horses and went on a tantrum. He started fistfights and was beaten to death by a fortress guard, causing his family to go nuts... the dining room didn't save that fort.

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 12:16:34 pm »

One Spring day our Hammerer beat 13 craftsdwarves to death for 'violating' a production order.  Heeere's Johnny, I thought, locking him inside his bedroom to starve to death, and waiting for the infants and furniture to start flying.  Nothing happened, no one immigrated for a couple years and I got a new Hammerer.

Dwarves not being known for their stoic emotional fortitude when things get Fun, I paused and examined everyone/everything.  I had about 80ish dwarves left and almost nobody had more than a couple of friends.  I'd forgotten to ever assign a meeting area.  Nobody ever hung out with more than a couple of guys from their own immigrant wave.  This also explained our 20+ herd of musk oxen roaming around the area, never entering our halls but buying my military valuable time during seiges as the distracted goblins chased them around.  Basically I had a large collection of small social cliques. 

I built a zoo and a misty waterfall and converted all dining rooms to meeting halls, now, ten years later, everyone's ecstatic friends with everyone else and there's musk oxen everywhere.  The spiral you've described is my only fear for Shipgods...which probably means it's inevitable.   
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...It should be pretty fun though.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 12:51:01 pm »

Not if you have that mist generator up. Mist generators make dwarves suspiciously happy. I suspect that water acts as a drug to dwarves when inhaled.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 01:53:55 pm »

Mist generators make dwarves suspiciously happy. I suspect that water acts as a drug to dwarves when inhaled.

No wonder no dwarves start with swimming skill, and usually drown when they fall in the water. They get an instant overdose!
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 09:08:11 pm »

I'm currently experiencing either the first or second tantrum spiral of Praisesling.

At least, I think it is one.  I've never had a problem and kinda decided I was bored with it.  So I put up four chains and a Captain of the Guard.  Last I checked, he was still beating every dwarf who didn't fulfill a production order.  Including my military.

Actually, I just noticed that I don't have a mayor.  It's a nice way to start a new job: beat your boss to death.

On a lighter note, I only have 9 punishments left to have dished out.
Half of my Justice list are already dead.

And if the fort somehow survives, hey, free FPS!
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 10:42:40 pm »

I'm doing a fort for the Big Red Lever of Doom contest on Sonerhoi's Dwarf Heaven map, and it's frankly not going well. I started out focusing too much on the megaproject rather than basic Dwarven needs, and the results are not pretty. I have one kind of booze, one kind of food, and just got beds set up for about a third of the fort.

About half of the dwarves are unhappy or very unhappy. My proficient glassmaker/woodcrafter went melancholy after a Rhesus Macaque stole his masterwork wooden bolts and threw himself into the bottomless pit (which is in the middle of my massive dining room) and my weaver got torn to shreds by troglodytes when he was trying to eat some CHEESE that was dropped by dead caravan animals.

Right now, my mayor is in bed (one of the only beds) with a broken arm from a series of three or four tantrums and a fistfight, and we cannot go outside to get water because a group of Rhesus Macaques has been doing laps around my fort's entrance for the last few months.

On the upside, we have a GCS silk factory in full swing and are training up a new weaver and clothier. SOOOOCKS!!
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.