Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Roguelikes  (Read 3686 times)

SugaSuga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Roguelikes
« on: February 05, 2010, 10:12:07 pm »

I downloaded rogue but apparently it doesnt want to work on my shiny new windows 7 64 bit ???
So, anyone know any roguelike/dungeoncrawler games that are good?  Or a 64 bit version of rogue?
thx for advice

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
Re: Roguelikes
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 10:17:32 pm »

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 03:54:54 am »

Well, there's always nethack, I'm sure you've heard of it. There are also ADOM, Crawl and Angband, which are all pretty unique. I'm sure you can play them over telnet or something.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 04:41:08 am by ILikePie »

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 04:13:21 am »

I'm pretty sure that ADOM is not telnettable.  It's still closed-source, and so there's probably also no 64-bit version.  Sorry!  :(
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 04:34:18 am »

Actually, you can telnet adom. Try ancardia.ath.cx, port 22, info on the sever can be found here. iirc you telnet anything that outputs text.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 11:18:37 am by ILikePie »

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 07:26:10 am »

There's Crawl, that has an active thread in this forum.  It has a tutorial, so it's good if you're just learning Roguelikes, but it's also challenging and deep and whatnot that it's still quite fun post-n00bery.

DoomRL also has a thread here.  It's fun.

I can recommend LIVAN - base game IVAN, Inter Vehemens Ad Necem or some such.  Quite snazzy, but hard.  Also, the tiles version actually represents data graphically that I don't think the game tells you otherwise - food will have tiny black pixels buzzing around them if they're spoiled, and your limbs (which have individual HP and can be destroyed/severed - bad news for limbs, fatal news for your head or body) will actually change color if you've turned them into different materials.

Incursion is very awesome.  It's 3.5e D&D:  The Roguelike.  It's also buggy and still being developed.

Elona's also got a thread here.  Permadeath is optional in it, but a lot of the fighting and such is fake BS difficulty.

There are commercial roguelikes, too, I believe.  Azure Dreams comes to mind - apparently it's considered a roguelike, though I never really thought of it that way.  Torneko and the more recent Pokemon Mystery Dungeons also.

Then there are a bunch of classics that I don't know anything about.  TOME, Moria, Angband, Nethack, ADOM.

Besides Roguebasin, posted above, there's the Roguelike Temple.  http://www.roguetemple.com/

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 07:58:34 am »

http://www.freewebs.com/drussell/index.htm

I would think TileRogue or the flash Rogue port would work!  I also echo the prior statements.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 08:55:37 am »

Then there are a bunch of classics that I don't know anything about.  TOME, Moria, Angband, Nethack, ADOM.
Angband is a sort of successor to Moria. In both games you have a 100 level dungeon with various shops on the first level. Each time you enter a level it is randomly generated, and the levels themselves are pretty big. Stuff is based on d&d and middle-earth. Angband has a large amount of variants, which are mainly the same game with an extra class or some balance changes.

ADOM is great, and because it ain't open source you don't have as many spoilers as nethack or crawl. You get ten races to choose from, these affect minor stats and whatnot, and twenty classes. Your class determines various stats, your starting items and skills. ADOM has an overworld similar to dwarf fortress's, but it is much smaller and the wilderness areas ain't as detailed. ADOM is also story driven.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 08:19:32 pm »

Angband is a sort of successor to Moria. In both games you have a 100 level dungeon with various shops on the first level. Each time you enter a level it is randomly generated, and the levels themselves are pretty big. Stuff is based on d&d and middle-earth. Angband has a large amount of variants, which are mainly the same game with an extra class or some balance changes.

ADOM is great, and because it ain't open source you don't have as many spoilers as nethack or crawl. You get ten races to choose from, these affect minor stats and whatnot, and twenty classes. Your class determines various stats, your starting items and skills. ADOM has an overworld similar to dwarf fortress's, but it is much smaller and the wilderness areas ain't as detailed. ADOM is also story driven.

Adom is also stupidly hard, I would say even for a roguelike its hard. Each race has its own special ability, like the troll can eat corpse. Quests are time sensitive. The story doesn't force a moral choice, with evil, good an neutral follow through.

I personally like Adom more them Nethack, I have tried some other posted here, but Adom is worth figuring it out, and its player community writes story of its play through. Most of them of how you died horribly, with enough winning campaign stories to give you a gleamer of hope that you to can win!
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 08:56:44 pm »

Well, I meant I hadn't tried or played any of them to be able to talk about them.

I've tried NetHack a couple times, and probably Angband and/or it's variants, but then the controls would confuse me and I wouldn't have the patience to figure them out.

NetHack I wasn't too interested in to bother, and Angband... I think I was trying to view the items in my inventory and/or talk to people in town.  Inventory management I just failed at ("wait, so I press this to see what I've got equipped, but this to change what I've got equipped, which I can't do from inventory view..."), and then once when I tried to talk to some townie NPC I accidentally took a swing at 'em, which was bad.  Didn't end with me dead, but the game defaulting to "PUNCH FRIENDLY" kind of put me off.

Also I like spoilers, they save me from infuriating deaths sometimes.

Rip0k

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2010, 09:12:33 pm »

I can recommend LIVAN - base game IVAN, Inter Vehemens Ad Necem or some such.  Quite snazzy, but hard.  Also, the tiles version actually represents data graphically that I don't think the game tells you otherwise - food will have tiny black pixels buzzing around them if they're spoiled, and your limbs (which have individual HP and can be destroyed/severed - bad news for limbs, fatal news for your head or body) will actually change color if you've turned them into different materials.

The body part system allows some cool random cruel deaths... 

I love I.V.A.N. ..to bad it's development stoped at v0.50 ... but there's always LIVAN and other mods
Rip0k cancels chillin, struck down by water pipe shot!

quintin522

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLYING_SPAGHETTI_MONSTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2010, 09:43:40 pm »

Theres a rogue version of Doom out there, if you look for it. Its pretty fun
"I can't bleed to death now, I don't have time!"
Urist McExplorer, bolding going where no dwarf has OH GAWD THE MAGMA IT BURNSSSss..

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2010, 11:03:00 pm »

It's called DoomRL, and we have a 100+ page thread about it somewhere around here.
!!&!!

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2010, 03:14:48 am »

The body part system allows some cool random cruel deaths... 

I love I.V.A.N. ..to bad it's development stoped at v0.50 ... but there's always LIVAN and other mods
Yeah, man.  A couple days ago I was playing it, and I had no weapons or anything.  A kobold found me, but I had low (8-9ish) arm and leg strength, so all my attacks weren't doing anything to it, I think.

Then suddenly, I punched one of it's limbs off.  An arm, probably.  It freaks, and runs away.

So I chase it, and now it's up against a wall.  I try to kill it, but I'm still bouncing off it's hide or whatever.

Then I kick it.  It falls, and bumps it's head against the wall.

Apparently this was hard enough to SNAP IT'S HEAD OFF.

That was pretty awesome.  I believe I declared that character's fists to be MAGICAL SEVERING MACHINES, because I punched the limbs off other stuff with alarmingly high frequency as well.

Then there's the undersea tunnel's boss.  This one time, the damn thing's minions chewed my arm off, so I freaked out and retreated off the level.  Apparently this was a bad idea, because I had an acid rain wand, which is really effective against it.  But now I have to fight through waves of minions to get back to use it, except minus an arm.  I eventually killed it, by the way, only to die of a COMPLETELY avoidable bout of starvation later in the city - instead of opening a can and eating that, I decided I wanted to walk back into the store I'd just left to buy some grub.

My first try with LIVAN (as I played the vanilla IVAN before it) ended up with me being practically BLESSED by the random number god.  Ommel hair armor on the first floor as well as numerous other sweet stuff, nothing particularly threatening challenging me...

Then I get to the boss as above, and I accidentally kill myself with bouncing lightning.  I shot it diagonal, expecting it to bounce such that it WOULDN'T hit me, but apparently not.

I'd been using fireballs on the boss, too - hadn't run out yet, so I really had no reason to change to lightning.  Goddamn.  Utterly stupid death.

Rip0k

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2010, 08:48:11 am »

I never forget when my character died after a dozen of kobold kicks in the head. Poor guy  just escaped 4 zombies by teleporting away without both arms and one leg (not to bad... would survive if not the kobold out of nowhere  >:( )

Also this game surprise me once in awhile. Example: I found kobold's head in my backpack, guess I picked it up accidentally. So I throw this head in direction of one headless zombie. The bastard catch it and attached it on his neck!!! I gave a new head to a zombie guy!   
Rip0k cancels chillin, struck down by water pipe shot!
Pages: [1] 2