Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Operation Burning Scyth  (Read 1434 times)

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Operation Burning Scyth
« on: February 05, 2010, 08:46:35 pm »

So I had a magma pipe and an underground river... now all I have is is a magma pipe and an underground magma river.  =D

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
Re: Operation Burning Scyth
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 08:51:51 pm »

You've returned some of the glory of 2d? Good chap.

Now, build a boat in it.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Rat Of Wisdom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 08:52:47 pm »

Now you need to create flow and get all your power from your shiny new MAGMA wheels.
Evidently, Dorf Philosopher Uristmedes only figured out the Uristmedes screw. And he ran around naked and covered in water, blood, and vomit all the time, so any discoveries made in his 4/7 bathtub went unnoticed by dorf science.

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 03:50:03 am »

When I saw this title, I was hoping for fire-immune creatures wielding flaming weapons.
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 04:58:27 am »

Now you need to create flow and get all your power from your shiny new MAGMA wheels.
Can magma even have flow?

Tyrius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 06:35:29 am »

with suitably large quantities of magma and enough pumps, i see no reason why it shouldn't. I'm not sure if water-wheels will produce power in magma tho... SOMEONE TEST IT!
because that's not the dwarven way. Could you make more statues of Urist instead of an impossibly large one chiseled out of the mountain? Sure, you could. If you want to be called a ninny elf by all your friends.

Wraithsight

• Bay Watcher
  • [Magma-powered]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 08:12:43 am »

with suitably large quantities of magma and enough pumps, i see no reason why it shouldn't. I'm not sure if water-wheels will produce power in magma tho... SOMEONE TEST IT!

Um there was some testing on this awhile ago (there was much shouting of OF SCIENCE!). They DO provide power in a magma flow...for all of the 2-and-a-half-seconds a wooden structure can exist in magma.
Or, wiping out Orc forts. It's harder than it sounds. And it sounds pretty hard.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 09:01:31 am »

hehe... we need to be able to make Iron water wheels!

Believe it or not, killing all the critters in the river actually raised my FPS which was the goal to begin with. now I'm going to see if I can get the river back, but I'm not sure because the magma obsidionized the tiles where the river starts.  Also I'm not sure if its safe to dig through the obsidian without a cave in.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 10:44:36 am »

Um there was some testing on this awhile ago (there was much shouting of OF SCIENCE!). They DO provide power in a magma flow...for all of the 2-and-a-half-seconds a wooden structure can exist in magma.
Do you have a link to the thread?  Every thread I can find dealing with the subject reports exactly the opposite - waterwheels are hard-coded to work only over water, even if you mod wood to be fireproof.  You may be thinking of wooden pumps, which will pump magma until they catch on fire.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

NFossil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 12:00:48 pm »

It'll have to be a nice boat.