Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Notrium  (Read 28957 times)

creodor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Notrium
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2011, 12:16:39 pm »

1. It should display blips on the map, IIRC, but only when it's turned on.
2. Q turns it on...and turns it off, unless I remember wrong.
3. I'm quite confident that it does, yes.
4. Eden is dangerous, but has some useful toys (some). Don't remember a whole lot that's very good for non-psionics though. The swamp has a specific fun toy or two, if you can get them (one may be from a mod...). Beware the swarms. Missile base has lots of dangerous shootie things, but if you can kill a few and loot their stuff, you can become a dangerous shootie thing, and even potentially use some immobile dangerous shootie things to save you some trouble. That's assuming that's what those places are.
Free Game List

fish are drowning again ~Fourth Triad

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2011, 02:43:04 pm »

You'll want to avoid every missile on the way to the planet, since you'll get a bonus. Humans get armor, which can be broken down for parts or used or even upgraded.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2011, 04:35:51 pm »

You'll want to avoid every missile on the way to the planet, since you'll get a bonus. Humans get armor, which can be broken down for parts or used or even upgraded.
Huh? I don't ever remember getting armor....

...And playing through it again, I didn't get it.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2011, 08:46:16 pm »

I turned my own laser gun into a laser turret... I hauled it to the missile base and set it up, though those tiny purple robots aren't too keen on chasing me, even when I tried to lure them.

I did avoid all the missiles, but I don't have any armor... do I need to avoid the fire as well?

I'll play the tutorial again to see if I can see the blips... from a lost game I know I can get the hermit killed to get my radio back.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2011, 09:58:43 pm »

This is what I don't get about the modded subspace radio...

In the above screenshot, I've equipped it, pressed Q several times but I never seen anything different either in the playing field or in the minimap. I tried it once in the game and found it to be the same.

How is the radio supposed to work? Should I see indicators about the ether/fuel cells I didn't pick up? Where are the blips? :-\

This is my biggest obstacle in the game right now... I have a lot of trouble distinguishing items I could pick up from the environment. I have to mouse-over everything to see if it's loot, and night comes very quickly that way.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 10:01:01 pm by kcwong »

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2011, 10:23:43 pm »

I can confirm the bonus armour and the radio working. After dodging the missiles I checked my inventory while in the escape pod and I had it. Not sure why its not working for you.....

When you were ingame, were you android/human? Otherwise, it won't work. It also won't work without energy. Its also a three part creation, don't forget the other parts. If all of these are ok...maybe you had caps lock on?

Finely, you can go into your inventory and select it, then press "u". If that doesn't work I have no clue.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2011, 11:29:41 pm »

I just tested... it seems you don't get a bonus in Easy.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2011, 12:28:45 am »

For the Modded Space Radio(Item detector), some items don't appear on it, namely sticks, ether, and a few other fairly common items.

You could mod all items to show up by editing the items file though.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 12:32:36 am by Blaze »

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2011, 12:38:51 am »

For the Modded Space Radio(Item detector), some items don't appear on it, namely sticks, ether, and a few other fairly common items.

You could mod all items to show up by editing the items file though.

But I don't even know where or what to look for! I've never seen anything highlighted or any indicator. Can someone post a screenshot with the blip and point it out for me?

In my above screenshot, not even the fuel cells are highlighted. So this radio is just a waste of battery?

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2011, 12:48:29 am »

You can open up your items.dat file found in (Stuff)/Notrium/data/(mod name) folder with any text editor.

Look for:
Code: [Select]
0;//show on radar 0=does not show, 1=show on scanner, 2=show even without scanner
and replace them with
Code: [Select]
1;//show on radar 0=does not show, 1=show on scanner, 2=show even without scanner
You'll need to modify every instance of it though.
That item will be shown on the scanner when you use it.
Instead of modifying it line by line you can use the simple "Replace" function that you can find even in the standard notepad.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 12:50:02 am by Blaze »

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2011, 01:10:01 am »

I see that the battery charger is a 2... so the blip I'm supposed to see is the red circle in the minimap? Fuel cell is a 1... then shouldn't it show up in the screenshot I posted (only two blips there for the food replicator and battery charger)?

I wasn't turning the radio on correctly? Do you have to press Q after you equip it (but I already did in the tutorial)?

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2011, 01:23:22 am »

"q" toggles its use, so if you equipped it and THEN press "q", you'd turn it off.

"q" automatically equips/unequips it; as long as it's in your inventory.

You should see a "you turn the radio on" message at the top-left side of the screen. Make sure you turn your capslock off since it's lowercase "q".

Finally, the detection effect has a range limit, so you can't see across the map with it.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 01:25:13 am by Blaze »

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2011, 01:32:04 am »

I'm rather bad at Notrium, but I can never get myself to actually play below hard.
Hello Hunam

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2011, 01:57:16 am »

I played through the tutorial again... I never saw any red blips other than the two for the food/battery recharge stations, no matter how close I was to the items. Maybe it just don't work in the tutorial.

The adjacent areas are pretty dangerous indeed... the dried swamp has bugs that release a bunch of tiny bugs (which are annoying to aim at) on death, and Eden has plants shooting projectiles. So I went for the missile base first... I can kill those purple robots in 2 to 3 shots to get batteries.

Meanwhile I couldn't get the hermit to pickup a gun... when I gave him my radio he asked for a gun, but now he won't pick one up. I told him to follow, but apparently he won't follow to other area, so now I've lost him. I will have to find his corpse to get my radio back.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2011, 03:32:58 am »

Oh that explains it, yeah the radio doesn't do jack in the tutorial, it doesn't even have a quick-key.

Also, try to find a the villa corp area, don't go in it though. The outskirts of that area have patrolling marines, some of which carry a VC stun laser. It annihilates most weaker aliens and tears apart robots, and it's a lot more efficient than most energy weapons. A VC stun laser and an improved targeting beam lets you tear apart anything weaker than a reaper in a few shots.

As for the friendly marine issue, are you sure you're playing the latest version? You can just drop it near him and have him walk over it and he'll pick it up. I really recommend equipping him if you're playing as a human since he never runs out of ammo, has a much longer vision radius than you, and has a disproportionate amount of HP.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 03:35:46 am by Blaze »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7