Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Notrium  (Read 28949 times)

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
Re: Notrium
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2010, 10:21:34 am »

How do you eat/cook corpses? I don't recall this being in the tutorial.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2010, 11:05:16 am »

It's not in the tutorial. Build a fire(by 'u'sing wood, I believe that is in the tutorial). Then 'u'se the corpse while standing on the fire.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2010, 11:26:10 am »

Oh! Well, I found that using a corpse ate it, didn't know about using it on a fire though. Thanks.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2010, 11:38:20 am »

It only works on brown alien corpses(which have to be cooked to eat). Most of the other kinds of aliens should be edible raw.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2010, 12:39:05 pm »

I remember this my favorite ending was King of the Jungle. Also, the one where you had to take over the ship just because of the challenge.
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

Xanatos Jr.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2010, 02:39:25 pm »

Great, impossible to save.
"My Little Space Marine"
Featuring a precocious chapter librarian, his pet servitor, and their wacky bunch of battle-brothers.  Watch as they learn the true meaning of undying devotion to the Emperor while creatively solving conflicts both in the ranks and on the battlefield.

tHe_silent_H

• Bay Watcher
  • Did you win?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2010, 11:54:59 pm »

KK we found out how to get it to save ty for this:

Not sure if this helps, but if you have Windows Vista, it might not let you save it unless it's running in administrator mode. I think that's happened to me with various games before, haha.
it works, but now another question how exactly do you install mods?

Edit: beaten the game twice now as android and the alien, but in easy mode though.Time to step up the difficulty!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 01:39:23 am by tHe_silent_H »
Did you know that if you write 3.14 on a piece of paper and hold it in a mirror, it will say pie? And if you divide 42 by 3.14... you get 13.37!

It is incredibly satisfying to kill a man with a butterfly.

Duelmaster409

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_FIGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2010, 12:09:17 am »

This game makes me die a lot. If I don't die from having a heat stroke or freezing to death it's because some random aliens pop out of the bushes and gank me when I'm the most vulnerable. However, I am able to save and load without any difficulty so that's a plus, seeing as how some people are having trouble saving..?

But anyway, playing as a human, I've found a taser gun not far from my crash site which helps immensely when I need to ward off alien ambushes. I've also found a group of gun-wielding aliens whom don't seem to like me and open fire on sight. I've managed to dodge the bullets and taser my way into their encampment but they mostly have only medkits and other trinkets which don't seem to be of much value at first glance (I can't get anything more than a first glance because I'm dodging gunfire from every direction imaginable). I don't think I'm supposed to be braving these fellows anytime soon.
Dwarf fortress: Teaching uni level geology to sadistic elf killers for years.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2010, 06:37:09 am »

This game makes me die a lot. If I don't die from having a heat stroke or freezing to death it's because some random aliens pop out of the bushes and gank me when I'm the most vulnerable. However, I am able to save and load without any difficulty so that's a plus, seeing as how some people are having trouble saving..?

But anyway, playing as a human, I've found a taser gun not far from my crash site which helps immensely when I need to ward off alien ambushes. I've also found a group of gun-wielding aliens whom don't seem to like me and open fire on sight. I've managed to dodge the bullets and taser my way into their encampment but they mostly have only medkits and other trinkets which don't seem to be of much value at first glance (I can't get anything more than a first glance because I'm dodging gunfire from every direction imaginable). I don't think I'm supposed to be braving these fellows anytime soon.

Human is hard mode, especially if you're playing the Werivar mod like me who'll get one-shot by Battle Droids, Dire Reapers, and VC Snipers, two of which can attack you far outside your view and all of which move faster than you.

Villa Corp isn't really that lucrative to scavenge and STAY AWAY from turrets, but if you find a VC Stun Laser and a pistol, get to the desert and farm some batteries for a quick run through the ruins to reach the ship graveyard. Then make a sniper pistol and improved laser sight and farm the area for pretty much everything you'll ever need.

Also, aliens are MUCH more active at night, so make a quick hiding spot and wait it out if you can afford it. If you equipped the marine, you can hang around under a tree and eat the aliens he kills.

As for the saving problem, if you're using Vista's UAC and installed Notrium in your program files folder, you won't be able to save. So either move it out of there or set it to run in Admin mode.

it works, but now another question how exactly do you install mods?
Download the mod and extract/install it into your Notrium/Data folder.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 08:07:01 am by Blaze »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2010, 11:30:28 am »

Was playing it yesterday as a Psionic, and I can't beat the boss of the Lifeforce Dreamscape. He keeps regenerating instantly(the journal says he regens a bit every second, but I guess I haven't done enough damage quickly enough to even see it).

tHe_silent_H

• Bay Watcher
  • Did you win?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2010, 09:15:17 pm »

Download the mod and extract/install it into your Notrium/Data folder.

tried that, it crashes the game every time i start it up, remove the mod the game works, tried with different mods, got the same result... the game needs a specific mod folder imo

Edit: got them to work after a bit of fiddling
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 06:21:25 am by tHe_silent_H »
Did you know that if you write 3.14 on a piece of paper and hold it in a mirror, it will say pie? And if you divide 42 by 3.14... you get 13.37!

It is incredibly satisfying to kill a man with a butterfly.

Creaca

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Back.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2010, 02:55:31 am »

Oh Notrium, the memories of constantly checking the forums for more information or builds of 1.3 was great fun.

I even suggested the items required to create the hoverbike. Probably the closet I'll get to game design in my life~

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2010, 10:02:06 am »

So , the Ancient thread i've Created a year ago has Come back to Haunt me , I'll summarize things up :

Human : OH MY GOD THERE'S AN ALIE-*killed* , Human is Pretty hard to play
Alien(AND MONSTERS) : kill , Evo to Highest Evoloution , Breed an army , Invade hive , Win , Easy As all hell
Android : The Invincible man That lives off Batteries , Moderate
Psionic : Basically the Wizard Guy , Moderate-hard
(Expansions)
Weivar : A Hybird , Uses Guns while Having Psionic Powers , Moderate-easy
Scavenger : Lots of Combinations , Pretty Interesting , Difficulty Changes as Game progresses

Hostiles :

Blue Alien : Those Guys you Meet Early on and Fights you All the way until you Either Win , or Die - It's a Joke , Just punch it , or shoot it once
Red Alien : Tougher Then those Blue Aliens , Slower -Not really a Joke , But Still a joke , Two punches or one Shot should Put this Mutt down
Big Blue Alien : the Big Brothers of the Blue aliens , Tougher and Faster - Has a Fighting Chance against you alone , Try not to Punch it(Except Alien) , Shoot it
Big Red Alien : The Red Alien's Back , 'cept it's Much Stronger , Tougher , and use a More Deadly Attack - Deadly , Easily Kills you in a 1v1 Combat , ranged Weaponry is Recommended , Circle around this thing if you are an Alien
VC marines : i don't know , And i Certainly Don't want to Know , How the Vile corp Even Got their Asses onto this Damn planet , All i know is that they can use Guns and Hate you - Proceed with Caution , They'll Fire at will if they spot ye , Don't go into Combat with this guy until you are Properly Equiped/Evolved , And try to Dodge His Shots , They Hurt alot
Queens : the Mastermind behind the Aliens , Not recommended to Face until Fully Equiped or Moderately Evolved

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2010, 11:15:24 am »

"How the Vile corp Even Got their Asses onto this Damn planet"

A constant stream of adventurers kept killing them off.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2011, 08:05:40 am »

In Mani Corp!

I just started playing Notrium, after spotting it in the Free Games Google spreadsheet. I'm trying to play as a human right now (I know android and alien would be easier). So far I survive to day 4, finding sufficient food and battery, on easy so don't care about weather, but still need to find a light diode/accelerator somewhere to make a laser gun/pistol. The taser seems to be a waste of battery... the little aliens I can punch out, the big ones I better run away immediately.

There are things I couldn't figure out...

1. The modded subspace radio. I played the tutorial again and again, it said it's supposed to tell me where items can be found, but I can't see anything at all on the radar? How is this item-finding supposed to work? (I also heard the hermit has unlimited ammo once you give him a gun, so I gave him my only radio hoping to get an ally)

2. The game said Q is the shortcut key to turn the radio on... is there a way to quickly turn it off, or must I unequip it in inventory?

3. Firewood burns for eternity, right?

4. I found the three adjacent areas to be: Eden (lots of life, but also seems pretty dangerous?) to the west, gorge to the north (swamp?), and missile base to the east (someone fired at me). Which way should I go first?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 10:07:56 am by kcwong »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7