Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 51

Author Topic: The Expedition  (Read 64741 times)

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
Re: The Expedition
« Reply #195 on: February 09, 2010, 12:01:04 am »

I agree with this wholeheartedly.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 09, 2010, 12:05:01 am »

>Take 3 torches, lantern, bota bag
>Fill lantern with oil back at urns
>Fill bota bag with oil
>Open crate back in storage room

You drop your spare wood back at the turtle fountain to make room. You go back and grab 3 torches, the lantern, and a fifth bota bag. You head up to the Level 1 South Storage room and fill the bota bag with oil. Then you head back down to the Level 2 storage room between the snake fountain and the shattered altar. Whew!

Your current piece of wood is about done for, so you use it to light one of your torches and rub the wood out on a wall. Hey, a mark. Nice. You pocket it.

You drop your bota bags except for the oil one next to the turtle fountain, and keep the canteen. It's tougher and holds just as much.

WHOOSH! The torch really takes to that flame. Sputtering bits of naptha drip down the handle a little, but you solve that by carrying it mostly horizontal and tying a scrap of cloth around it above your hand.

You can see things pretty clearly now ...

You check out the crate. Looks pretty old, but sturdy. You pry the lid off. Inside there is old straw packing and on top peeking out from amid the straw you see several parchment cylinders about the size of a paper towel roll, closed at both ends, with a long fuse sticking out of one end.

Inventory: 12/20
Clothes (Worn) (Shirt, Pants, Belt, Socks, Boots, Underwear, Hat Made of Underwear, Arm Guards Made of Pants, Face Scarf)
AK-47 (Iron Spike Bayonet Affixed with Smelly Shirt Scraps)
AK-47 Magazine (0 rounds)
Engraved Lighter (Over Half)
Lantern (Empty)
1 Torch (Whole) (Lit)
2 Torches (Whole)
Canteen (Full of Water)
1 Bota Bag (Full of Oil)
Brass Moon Key
1 Dart
Charcoal (Whole)

>
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 09, 2010, 12:08:07 am »

You can see things pretty clearly now ...
The rain is gone.

Oh man, we have bombs

Everyone, I suggest the following (do not do unless it has more support):
> take 1 bomb
> go to B3, holding AK and torch
> charge skeleton
> if stabbing does not kill skeleton, drop AK, light bomb, throw bomb, run

EDIT:
Spoiler: Maps (click to show/hide)
As you can see from these maps, there are three places we can go right now - the bees room, the skelly halls, and the locked stone door. The locked stone door needs a circular block, which we don't have. The bees... maybe if we burned a wet torch or tried to blow them up or something (though I don't want to waste dynamite on such a fruitless endeavor). The best path, I think, is to attack the skeleton, which we have a sure method of killing.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 12:13:15 am by Cheddarius »

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 09, 2010, 12:13:18 am »

Okay, I await confirmation.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 09, 2010, 12:14:57 am »

Re-read our brush with the undead. No blades mentioned. Damn, many of my ideas involve a cutting tool to one extent or another.

Okay, stuff we can make with what we have:
- Oil-dipped torches (Pre-made torches dipped in oil, or Rags+Wood+Oil if we run out. We should not run out.) (Torches can also be used as flares. Light, throw.)
- Spear (Affix a spike to the 10' pole, or break pole into 5' sections, then affix spikes. Requires a cutting tool)
- Home-made Gas-Mask  (Dip face scarf in oil, wear over mouth and nose. Alternately, piss on scarf. I recommend the oil instead.)
- Flame-Thrower? (Sort of. Spray oil from bag on target. Set aflame with a torch. Roast marshmallows. We could probably use this to kill those snakes on that pedestal in the snake room. However, that is currently a seemingly infinite source of food. We should think carefully before we do anything to lose that.)

Holy shit we have dynamite.

Pwn some skeletons. Do eet!

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 09, 2010, 12:19:53 am »

EDIT: I had planned to do a picture thing like 404, but I'm not as good at drawing as Squeegy and uploading all those pictures would be a pain.
D'awwww.

I'm not a very good artist, and not very long ago I drew stick figures too. Just stick it out and experiment with different styles and you'll find one that you're good at.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 09, 2010, 12:20:29 am »

You carefully pull out the top layer of the bombs. There's 5. You move the straw packing around ... 5 more. Hm. You set them on the shelf as you pull them out. 30 in total.

Hot damn.

You grab three and shove them into your pants. You have a problem though. You've got a very rigged-up rifle in one hand and a torch in the other. You don't have anymore hands left to pull out a bomb and throw it.

Any suggestions?

>

EDIT: Thanks Squeegy, I might try it.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 09, 2010, 12:22:53 am »

Leave the damn rifle. Stop whacking things with it. It's just a big hunk of metal now, we can whack just fine with the flaming wood.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 09, 2010, 12:24:13 am »

Leave the damn rifle. Stop whacking things with it. It's just a big hunk of metal now, we can whack just fine with the flaming wood.
Oh? What if we find bullets?

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 09, 2010, 12:26:11 am »

It's got a bayonet! We can stab things!
Plus it's got very good range. I think the wood was just a foot or so long, right?

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 09, 2010, 12:28:32 am »

Oh? What if we find bullets?

Then we go back for the rifle? Seriously, a firearm is a delicate instrument. Show her respect, and she won't blow your hands off later.
It's got a bayonet! We can stab things!
Plus it's got very good range. I think the wood was just a foot or so long, right?

Um, stabbing the skeleton is probably not going to help us much. The torch may only be a foot long, but that's on top of our reach. Plenty of room for bashing.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 09, 2010, 12:31:04 am »

You reluctantly leave the rifle behind and head downstairs.

You pass by the metal cylinder in the alcove, the one with the soldier relief on it, on the way to the stairs down. You head down the stairs to the east into the blue glow from the eyes of the stone faces. You skirt the wall to stay as far from the pit at the bottom of the stairs as possible.

The glares of the stone faces are still pretty spooky but not as bad now that you have more light. You reach the southern end of the hall and enter the cobwebby room. You can see the ceiling, and it's higher than the upper floors. You also notice a two-inch hole in the east wall. Hip height. Didn't see it before with just your lighter.

You immediately spot the SKELETON, the WALKING DEAD MENACE in the hallway to the west. It sees you too, turning to face you. It carries a vicious-looking rusty spear. All its bones are dark brown.

>

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 09, 2010, 12:34:30 am »

Hmm. Spear.

I was hoping he'd be unarmed.

Light bomb, chuck, run? If nothing else, the spear tip should survive, and that's all I really care about anyway.

Spear-tip = Makeshift Knife!!  ;D

Edit: We should discuss this before doing anything.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 09, 2010, 12:34:47 am »

> do what rick said

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 09, 2010, 12:38:18 am »

If some of the bones survive the explosion, we could probably make ourselves a good-old tribal-style chest armor, made from strung together bones.

A little creepy, since it's human bone, but it should help turn away some blows. Plus, it's a trophy representing our first victory over an opponent we ran from earlier.

Edit: Sorry I didn't say this yet, Leo, but this is awesome. I haven't had a brain workout this good in a while.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 12:40:24 am by rickvoid »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 51