Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: In Need of A Mentor  (Read 2657 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: In Need of A Mentor
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2010, 12:29:48 pm »

C++ for Dummies will basically give you a roundabout way of explaining a term (such as the For loop) by giving a little, if not fairly funny explanation of what a loop is, and then will give you a big page-full list of code of a program with a loop in it, making you have to find both the syntax and the mechanics out yourself.

Bloodshed DevC++ (or just DevC++, or just Bloodshed) is a great C++ compiler that's free to download and use. It will colorize the different parameters of your code, as in functions will be one color, integers another, strings, variables, classes, etc...and can compile it into an exe.
The book I used to teach myself a fairly good amount of C++ was Beginning C++ Game Programming by Michael Dawson. The book used Dev Bloodshed C++ and unlike many other books, is written almost specifically for it. However, the book is somewhat short on details which you will need/want when you get past beginner's level knowledge of the language. If you just want to start out by getting your toes wet, it is a great book, and according to amazon.com is much cheaper than most programming books at only about $20 new (most are at least $50).

More than anything, it would be useful for finding whether or not you enjoy the language. Its sections contain explainations of the concepts, ready to compile source code, and then an explaination of all the new parts of the source code. The only problem with the book is that it is too good at explaining things, to the point where other programming books will seem confusing afterwards.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 12:34:18 pm by alway »

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2010, 02:30:35 pm »

Bloodshed DevC++ (or just DevC++, or just Bloodshed) is a great C++ compiler that's free to download and use. It will colorize the different parameters of your code, as in functions will be one color, integers another, strings, variables, classes, etc...and can compile it into an exe.
This is incorrect. Dev-C++ is an outdated IDE that hasn't been maintained in five years. It contains version 3.4.2 of GCC; the current stable version is 4.4.3. It has poor compatibility with most Windows libraries due to GCC's by-the-spec-but-essentially-incorrect linker rules and expectations from libraries.

It is a bad choice for learning and a worse one for actual development. If you are going to insist on using C++, then Visual C++ Express is almost certainly the best free option. It's superceded as an IDE only by the full versions of Visual Studio and as a compiler only by ICC.

Python 2.4 or 2.5 is what I worked with, and is a much user-friendly language, but is a little less efficient than c++, but is based off it. I had a class that used the p.screen library to create 2d graphics using hard-coded python. If you enjoy modding, the Battlefield series is programmed in python and is set up to be modded without tearing your eyes out in frustration. Tremulous is a simple game that can be modded for xp too
Python is written in C, not C++. There is a difference.
"There's vermin fish, which fisherdwarves catch, and animal fish, which catch fisherdwarves." - Flame11235

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2010, 05:31:03 pm »

While Visual C++ is good for actual working in, I would consider it way to complex an IDE for a beginner. Dev C++, while horribly outdated, is easy to use and in my experience generally doesn't have too many big problems as long as you stick to the basics. Adding libraries and other things a beginner probably won't be doing will land you in a world of pain. Its sort of an IDE with training wheels.  :D

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2010, 10:10:55 pm »

While Visual C++ is good for actual working in, I would consider it way to complex an IDE for a beginner. Dev C++, while horribly outdated, is easy to use and in my experience generally doesn't have too many big problems as long as you stick to the basics. Adding libraries and other things a beginner probably won't be doing will land you in a world of pain. Its sort of an IDE with training wheels.  :D
It has nothing whatsoever to do with the complexity of the IDE. It has to do with being poorly functioning bad software. And if your "beginner" isn't pulling in other libraries, your "beginner" isn't doing anything to progress past that stage. Tools that restrict what you can do are not the right answer, newbie or not.

Then again, starting with C++ is a sign that somebody's taking really bad advice, so hey, it probably doesn't matter.
"There's vermin fish, which fisherdwarves catch, and animal fish, which catch fisherdwarves." - Flame11235

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2010, 12:03:26 pm »

I have never touched Bloodshed, but I did start in Visual C++.
I would never switch back, unless code::blocks got really outdated.

The debug was so vague and useless,
 which is a really important aspect to a new programmer.
If they can't figure out what is wrong,
 then they end up online here bugging people.

I'd prefer my IDE tell me there is a syntax error near line A,
 then give me some vague error and not even point to a line of code.

Also, code::blocks seems designed for maximum compatibility.
Maybe it was the compiler,
 but some things that were fine in Visual C++ were not allowed in code::blocks,
 and I had to recode them in a less MS dependent way.

That being said,
 code::blocks has some ugly library pitfalls.
I have been unable to leave pdcurses out
 of any of my projects since I first added it.
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2010, 02:54:48 pm »

If you were using VC6 or something, that'd be likely. VC6 was a generally bad compiler, and VS2002's C++ compiler wasn't much better. Allowed some very bad things.

These days, though, VS2008's compiler is as standardized as anything GCC has produced (and is a little further along toward the incredibly misnamed C++0x--GCC is currently denying the existence of a strict aliasing bug in GCC 4.4). The integrated debugging environment is also leagues further ahead than gdb, especially if you do any multithreaded programming in C++ ("why, you poor fool" comes to mind, but I'll be nice...!). Comparing the two is downright silly in terms of usefulness and user-friendliness.

I've used Code::Blocks when I absolutely had to use GCC for classes. It's certainly not bad. Hamstrung by its reliance on user-hateful subprograms, but it's a decent IDE. Key word: decent. It's also not Visual Studio, and from what you're saying, it seems like you're comparing it to a version of Microsoft's software that's at least eight years old. There's a reason why Visual Studio is the de facto standard for C++ development, and it's not because people just don't recognize how great Code::Blocks is. (Isn't because of "hurr it's Microsoft," either--they beat the pants off of all comers. Given how bad their stuff was until the 2005 release...that's much more damning to those competitors than it is praiseworthy of Microsoft.)

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2010, 09:20:48 pm »

VS 2008 free version.
I used it for 2 months.

I suppose it is very standard,
 but there are a few differences in code::blocks
 that I've become attached too.

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2010, 09:35:29 am »

Bump.

So, any ideas?

I'd love to watch somebody else program,
 or better yet be watched.

There has to be a good place for this sort of thing.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2010, 09:46:46 am »

Memory management?
*cringe*

Apparently my "education" skipped that part too.

How have you been doing C++ without coming across this? Unless your only doing managed C++? (although the mention of code::blocks makes that seem unlikely)

I'm not sure if C++ is a good or bad language to learn at first. It tends to be my language of choice unless I'm doing web-based apps or services though.

A scripting language such as python, perl or php would be easier to pickup. Perl and php being 'similar' to C and C++ anyway. Python is a little wacky but fun and fairly fast to code in, also it has bindings to just about everything.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2010, 06:04:59 pm »

Anyone?

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2010, 06:47:43 pm »

I think I know how to do this.

We need some people with free time, and we set up one big conversation using Windows Live Messenger(thats what I have :I ). Then, we talk and discuss and help each other.

Who is in?

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2010, 08:36:52 pm »

what is your message name?
The great game of Warlocks!

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2010, 09:52:03 pm »

WEll, let me change it. I have to do stuff.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2010, 11:22:12 pm »

Bump.

So, any ideas?

I'd love to watch somebody else program,
 or better yet be watched.

There has to be a good place for this sort of thing.

Webserver with local privileges?

ls
cd
bash script...

What more could you want!

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2010, 12:05:45 am »

I think I know how to do this.

We need some people with free time, and we set up one big conversation using Windows Live Messenger(thats what I have :I ). Then, we talk and discuss and help each other.

Who is in?

Oh god!
I totally support the idea,
 but last time we did that it ended up being a flame war,
 and now everyone hates Hippoman at least 20% more.

So, when is this thing gonna happen?
I'm working on a name generator,
 and I would love to toss around ideas.

Pages: 1 [2] 3