Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 308 309 [310]

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 655004 times)

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #4635 on: April 05, 2017, 06:15:43 am »

For the mod Prophesy of Pendor, if I make a custom kighthood order while a vassal of the Fersdvain and have them upgrade from Valkyries, when I change my culture as a king to Pendor will my custom order be upgradable from Pendor knights?

I believe its based on your kingdom culture, so yes. It might instead be under an option somewhere but I know its possible to change the upgrade unit type because I've done a very similar thing. In my most recent game I started a knighthood under the D'shar, then went independent and now my units upgrade from Pendor knights.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4636 on: May 15, 2017, 11:31:29 pm »

I've been meaning to revisit Pendor, but is it still rocking the vanilla graphics? That alone isn't a deal-breaker, butt I really hated (but understood why) so many of the outfits were just ripped from M&B1.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4637 on: May 16, 2017, 03:20:18 pm »

The latest update seems to use some new skins. Don't know what you mean by graphics.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4638 on: June 24, 2017, 02:17:17 am »

I've got M&B from GOG and now Warband as well as With Fire and Sword are on summer sale on Steam.

Will they work with the GOG version?

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4639 on: June 24, 2017, 02:25:42 am »

Warband and With Fire and Sword are standalone, so they don't need the gog version.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4640 on: August 15, 2017, 10:32:18 pm »

Bought With Fire and Sword on a whim yesterday and have spent a considerable amount of time playing today.

It's a pretty different experience from Warband. Muskets give the game a greater strategic element and reduce the importance of armor for the player, which is nice, especially if you prefer the style of the lighter armor over the heavier stuff. The faction-restricted troops cuts down on Warband's issue of sorts where the optimal way to play was to amass a horrifying horde of troops from all over Calradia regardless of whether or not you were making a pan-Calradian empire; similarly, the apparent removal of defection was a smart move, because it means you don't have to deal with nonsense like ending up with Emir Haeda's fearsome army of Sarranid Vikings. The majority of troops being very cheap is also nice; it lets you deal with large bandit groups in the early game while still not really being comparable to national armies, and cheap mercenaries make nice filler for professional armies that have taken losses and haven't had time to replace them yet.

Muskets are really, really fun. They're really satisfying to use; something about the kick they pack makes landing a shot feel nicer than using an arrow or bolt. The long reload time is actually better for them than crossbows, in my opinion, because it's much more clear-cut when you'll need to cancel your reload and draw your blade. I hear a lot of complaints about getting sniped out of the blue making them annoying to deal with, but honestly, basically the same thing happens in Warband in different forms (e.g. Rhodok marksmen, couched lances coming from nowhere,) and it won't happen often if you make good tactical decisions (like staying moving and using your men as cover. Plus, they make random bandit encounters in the streets at night much more engaging; they go from cutting down some pathetically easy goons to interesting tactical encounters where you have to use buildings as cover.

The setting is also pretty cool. It's not one that gets explored often today, which I like a lot. The aesthetic is very interesting IMO because it portrays a lot of different lifestyles and cultures; it's jarring in a good way to go from meeting a Swedish lord in his fine Western clothes and opulent hall to battling a cossack in his rough, exotic adventurer's wear in the wild, open steppe. (also bonus points for including Janissaries as a Crimean troop)

There's a few things I don't like and/or miss; buying businesses was a good feature in Warband, the renown requirement for mercenary work was the source of much confusion and frustration for a while, the quest where guild masters try to get you to stop a war is offered way too much for the ridiculous requirements all the solutions have, and it's rather difficult to make money without gunpowder exploitation. But I feel that these pale in comparison to the fun, new take on Mount & Blade that With Fire and Sword gives.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4641 on: August 15, 2017, 11:13:03 pm »

similarly, the apparent removal of defection was a smart move, because it means you don't have to deal with nonsense like ending up with Emir Haeda's fearsome army of Sarranid Vikings.

Just a bit of a nitpick, but I believe this was less of a "removal" and more of that the feature didn't exist yet. Iirc F&S is based on the original M&B, while defection was not introduced until Warband. This also is the reasons business aren't in.

Personally I didn't like F&S much, my main complaint was one you already addressed, I got quite fed up with getting one shot constantly by musket. Although this was quite some time ago, so maybe I should revisit it some time.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."
Pages: 1 ... 308 309 [310]