Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 289 290 [291] 292 293 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 654986 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #4350 on: August 06, 2015, 07:12:34 pm »

but Sarranid desert is prefferable

Quote provided by someone who has OBVIOUSLY NEVER PLAYED FLORIS. Seriously, oh god I avoid that desert SOOOO hard. I avoid it even when I have a country crushing badass army because infinity+1 lancers that you can't avoid because horsies are fast on overworld map.
Dunno, we were talking about vanilla last when i checked. Also, there are loads of horsies on desert in vanilla too, they just keep running away if you have an army that remotely doesn't suck.
EDIT: Send "nobles" (Rolf and Lezalit) to their peasant villages and find Bunduk. Give the guy a good crossbow and watch him oneshoot EVERYTHING.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 07:15:53 pm by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4351 on: August 06, 2015, 07:13:11 pm »

Not really any particular companions, but it's good to designate some as your healers/trainers. Training skill becomes immensely useful later on, you can probably start raising elite armies in a week if you have enough stacked party training skill in the late game.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4352 on: August 06, 2015, 08:19:07 pm »

Quote provided by someone who has OBVIOUSLY NEVER PLAYED FLORIS. Seriously, oh god I avoid that desert SOOOO hard. I avoid it even when I have a country crushing badass army because infinity+1 lancers that you can't avoid because horsies are fast on overworld map.
Dunno, we were talking about vanilla last when i checked. Also, there are loads of horsies on desert in vanilla too, they just keep running away if you have an army that remotely doesn't suck.
EDIT: Send "nobles" (Rolf and Lezalit) to their peasant villages and find Bunduk. Give the guy a good crossbow and watch him oneshoot EVERYTHING.

The problem in Floris is that all those little groups of horsies combine like Gurren fucking Lagann into an unstoppable horde if you don't suck. So all not sucking dose for you is make the inevitable loss all the more crushing.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #4353 on: August 06, 2015, 08:27:22 pm »

The problem in Floris is that all those little groups of horsies combine like Gurren fucking Lagann into an unstoppable horde if you don't suck. So all not sucking dose for you is make the inevitable loss all the more crushing.
That seems... excessive. I mean, big hordes of bandits could exist for a while, but would inventably break apart again in any semi-realistic scenario. (On the other hand, those bandits seem to have shitty everything anyway, so a good crossbow army would make extremly quick work of their charge).
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4354 on: August 06, 2015, 08:47:10 pm »

You could always, you know, change the max bandit group to about five or so. Can't remember the exact steps, but you can just not have them if you feel like it.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4355 on: August 07, 2015, 01:59:26 am »

Under AI control khergits are especially crappy, but under player leadership they have far more room for growth with player strategy than any other empire. I used to have a dedicated mounted archery wing i would order to follow me and lead around manually while directing cavalry charges and a small infantry/foot archer formation using the map, i'd usually stick them on top of a hill and leave them. Using a mixture of cav charges and MA runs plays havok on an enemy infantry formation, i dont care how many crossbowmen and infantry you have, i can pick you apart with sheer power of maneuvering and waves of mobile artillery and melee while your front is distracted by my small hardened infantry group. The only counter is an enemy force solely composed of heavy cav, and even then it just becomes a tie.

Speaking of, what i would absolutely love in bannerlord is the singleplayer style battles where you can command a large group of troops except multiplayer. I want to vs my friends in battle strategy to see if what i do is actually any good against more than the ai, not just duels.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 02:11:48 am by Mattk50 »

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #4356 on: August 07, 2015, 05:32:35 am »

i can pick you apart with sheer power of maneuvering and waves of mobile artillery and melee while your front is distracted by my small hardened infantry group.

I wonder how will you do that when I will have my back to edge of map. Not to mention that you will be fighting against ranged units that WILL return fire, killing you and more importantly, your horsies. And your small hardened infantry group has no shit on Rhodoks, by the time they come close they will aready be full of bolts and even if they manage to get through, they are going to get HAMMERED.
The only thing that might work against Rhodok lines of men might be line (not wedge, if it's wedge the charge will be broken very fast) of heavy cavalry. Or trebuchets.
Speaking of, what i would absolutely love in bannerlord is the singleplayer style battles where you can command a large group of troops except multiplayer. I want to vs my friends in battle strategy to see if what i do is actually any good against more than the ai, not just duels.
RhodokBattanians sharpshooters would and will win everytime.

Chosrau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4357 on: August 07, 2015, 06:12:51 am »

i can pick you apart with sheer power of maneuvering and waves of mobile artillery and melee while your front is distracted by my small hardened infantry group.

I wonder how will you do that when I will have my back to edge of map. Not to mention that you will be fighting against ranged units that WILL return fire, killing you and more importantly, your horsies. And your small hardened infantry group has no shit on Rhodoks, by the time they come close they will aready be full of bolts and even if they manage to get through, they are going to get HAMMERED.
The only thing that might work against Rhodok lines of men might be line (not wedge, if it's wedge the charge will be broken very fast) of heavy cavalry. Or trebuchets.

Or he could just sit back at the other edge of the map and have a draw, since neither side is moving. And if you move, he can just go back to his maneuvering tactic.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #4358 on: August 07, 2015, 06:17:12 am »

Or he could just sit back at the other edge of the map and have a draw, since neither side is moving. And if you move, he can just go back to his maneuvering tactic.
Why would I? Rhodoks are known for being patient, Khregits aren't. Also, I can as well move around on edges of map. :*

Chosrau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4359 on: August 07, 2015, 06:36:27 am »

Why would I? Rhodoks are known for being patient, Khregits aren't. Also, I can as well move around on edges of map. :*

Thing is, you can't force an engagement without allowing him to employ his maneuvering tactics. If you move along the map edge he just does the same, staying diametral to you.

Just because you found a weak dominant strategy (you can enforce a not-lose, no matter what the enemy does), doesn't mean there isn't a better strategy around.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #4360 on: August 07, 2015, 06:40:49 am »

Just because you found a weak dominant strategy (you can enforce a not-lose, no matter what the enemy does), doesn't mean there isn't a better strategy around.
I'm not exactly sure how well this tactic would work. From front, he would die to bolts. From back, he would be unable to kill crossbowmen for shit, becaue of huge planks they carry on their backs. Maybe from sides, but they would be relatively small target, and they're quite tough. We sadly aren't going to figure out who would win.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4361 on: August 07, 2015, 07:14:27 am »

(On the other hand, those bandits seem to have shitty everything anyway, so a good crossbow army would make extremly quick work of their charge).
Yes it would. But what about the 4 hundredth charge where all your bolts are gone? I'm not fucking kidding either, I've seen armies of bandits in Floris with upwards of 2000 men. And the desert ones can have Black Khergits, a special unit that very much does NOT have shitty anything. And because of sheer numbers you will face one or two entire wavefuls of these bastards, usually after attrition sets in.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4362 on: August 07, 2015, 07:19:05 am »

I could never get a good handle on directing my troops in M&B.  I'd like to see a better interface for this.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #4363 on: August 07, 2015, 07:31:56 am »

(On the other hand, those bandits seem to have shitty everything anyway, so a good crossbow army would make extremly quick work of their charge).
Yes it would. But what about the 4 hundredth charge where all your bolts are gone? I'm not fucking kidding either, I've seen armies of bandits in Floris with upwards of 2000 men. And the desert ones can have Black Khergits, a special unit that very much does NOT have shitty anything. And because of sheer numbers you will face one or two entire wavefuls of these bastards, usually after attrition sets in.
If your bandits are armies of 2000 special commando units, you're using wrong mod or settings really and it's your own fault.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #4364 on: August 07, 2015, 08:17:50 am »

There's a thread for this? PTW! :D

...Only problem I've had with this game is how they treated archery. Seemingly, mostly, hollywood style for the PC. I can't run and shoot!? Or run in one way and shoot efficiently (need a horse for that)? That poked my immersion a lot. >_>
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 08:22:28 am by Tiruin »
Pages: 1 ... 289 290 [291] 292 293 ... 310