Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 287 288 [289] 290 291 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 654967 times)

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #4320 on: August 06, 2015, 02:22:40 am »

I certainly hope that M&B2 will, in addition to many single player improvements, have enhanced multiplaying mechanics.

For example, I almost only play sieges and they suffer from the way spawn points work. There should be multiple capturable (is that even a word) spawn points that could multiply as victory points around the map. So when attackers advance, they'd get closer to the heart of the castle in siege etc. At the same time, defender spawns would "retreat" so spawnkilling would be less of a problem.

Not a really a big invention considering how many games already have it.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #4321 on: August 06, 2015, 06:01:45 am »

Your epic maymays seem to imply that the Khergits do something aside from suck and die. I'm confused because I haven't seen any evidence of this. Some kind of hidden feature buried deep inside the code?

Rhodoks4lyfe.
Rhodoks and to a lesser extent Swadian sharpshooters are the most powerful units in the game, if used in high numbers. The hail of bolts is just too much for anyone to handle, even the heaviest cavalry units will get broken up very fast. And even if something manages to get through, Rhodoks have HUEG shields and not bad weapons and armor so they can be pretty useful as infantry too. Also, they HUEG shields make them INCREDIBLY useful in sieges and against ranged armies, just order them to hold their fire and they will start taking cover behind those boards (which is also pretty awesome looking, since all of them have your banner painted on it) waiting for enemy to run out of ammunition. It's easy to become a crossbowman too (you can keep the horse for some mobility (Tip - you can shoot heavy and siege crossbows from horseback, but not reload it) but you generally want to stay with your troops) and most of companions can be easily trained to become one (there is this one who starts with crossbow, the retired guard one or something. Give him Masterwork Siege Crossbow and watch him murderize everything).
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #4322 on: August 06, 2015, 08:49:18 am »

I'm skeptical--
Was under the impression regular bows w/ high skill rather significantly out-dps crossbows.
Crossbows just have better dmg-ammo economy, which benefits from cravenly hiding behind things for long periods of time.
You know, Swadians are still salty about it, but of course the Rhodoks won their independence- their forests are pus-green and the hills were generated by a washing machine, and the Rhodoks have adapted to it. It is their natural environment.
They are like pig-sharks in a mud-ocean.
You don't fight pig-sharks in a mud-ocean if you want to win.

Your epic maymays seem to imply that the Khergits do something aside from suck and die. I'm confused because I haven't seen any evidence of this. Some kind of hidden feature buried deep inside the code?

Rhodoks4lyfe.
If you ever left your forest-hills of cowardry, you'd see the evidence all around friend. :^)

I'm not sure the smell-lines coming off the Rhokoks in that image are enough to really capture the stench of cowardice and living life close to the ground. I don't know if you could really fit anything else for him to be cowering behind in fear, though.
It's a rare picture of a photogenic Rhodok who wasn't hiding behind something. It's, well, it's not exactly a beautiful sight, but it is an uncommon occurrence.
I dunno, maybe worth seeing.
In the meantime I didn't want to get too close.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #4323 on: August 06, 2015, 09:08:36 am »

I'm skeptical--
Was under the impression regular bows w/ high skill rather significantly out-dps crossbows.
High skill which your soldiers don't really have, and you rather want one high dmg salvo when it comes to dealing with charging cavalry.
Crossbows just have better dmg-ammo economy, which benefits from cravenly hiding behind things for long periods of time.

If you ever left your forest-hills of cowardry, you'd see the evidence all around friend. :^)
Funilly enough said battle with enemies coming behind me took place in Sarranid desert and I was fighting against Khergits. Rhodoks murder things in open plains too, because they carry their cover with them and basically wipe out everything before it gets close.
I'm not sure the smell-lines coming off the Rhokoks in that image are enough to really capture the stench of cowardice and living life close to the ground. I don't know if you could really fit anything else for him to be cowering behind in fear, though.
Rhodoks aren't cowards, they're just only reasonable people around.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4324 on: August 06, 2015, 09:46:31 am »

bar bar bar
The university of Jelkala recently had a lecture about the steppe primitives. It went into exhausting detail on their warfare methods. It was quite engaging to see how your people managed to survive using such archaic weapons and tactics. Perhaps your grasslands lacking any exploitable resources may have had a hand in that.
It's also interesting to note that a culture that talks about cowardice so much fights with long sticks and bows from horseback before retreating.

While I'm sure our scholars researched to the best of their abilities and with strict rigour I imagine a native such as yourself could enlighten us on certain aspects of your culture. You're welcome to attend our many libraries ... you can read right? Do your people have a written language or is it just scribbles in the mud?

Actually on topic:
Do we know what the factions are going to be like in M&B2? I know there's going to be the crumbling Roman analogy. Wouldn't this be before Nord and Khergit time?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4325 on: August 06, 2015, 09:54:53 am »

Now I want to play Warband again, the only problem is that I always get bored of it before I actually manage to do anything :P

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #4326 on: August 06, 2015, 09:59:07 am »

Actually on topic:
Do we know what the factions are going to be like in M&B2? I know there's going to be the crumbling Roman analogy. Wouldn't this be before Nord and Khergit time?
Basically the same ones just scrambled their traits a bit.
Of course there is Empire, there are Vladians which are basically more tribal Swadians, Sturgians that seem to be Germanic tribes, aka Nords without boats, Aserai which are early "Islamic" bunch of tribes, basically Sarranids that use more horses, Khuzaits which are even more tribal Khergits and Battanians which live in forests, ambush everyone and use a lot of bows... yeah, they're, Rhodoks without crossbows.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4327 on: August 06, 2015, 10:02:19 am »

Hm, I've never actually played with a faction other than the Nords. My last game sort of stopped because we had a truce with the two neighboring factions, forgot their name, so no warring was going on.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #4328 on: August 06, 2015, 11:59:02 am »

[Forest bandits managed to get their hands on a thesaurus]
>Implying your 'universities' could develop a respectable body of knowledge while lacking contact with the outside world
>Criticizes 'long sticks'
>His military is 100% long sticks
>Implying I'd want to know the forest-bandit pidgin you lot call a language

It's a shame not everyone knows the joy of being a free man. Stuck under your trees, lost to the sky.
What separates you from cave-dwellers?  8)
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #4329 on: August 06, 2015, 12:09:58 pm »

[Forest bandits managed to get their hands on a thesaurus]
>Implying your 'universities' could develop a respectable body of knowledge while lacking contact with the outside world
>Criticizes 'long sticks'
>His military is 100% long sticks
>Implying I'd want to know the forest-bandit pidgin you lot call a language

It's a shame not everyone knows the joy of being a free man. Stuck under your trees, lost to the sky.
What separates you from cave-dwellers?  8)
Crossbows.
Lot's of them.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #4330 on: August 06, 2015, 12:19:40 pm »

Crossbows.
Lot's of them.

(salty):And walls.
Badges of honor

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #4331 on: August 06, 2015, 01:10:29 pm »

(salty):And walls.
At least our walls aren't made out of horseshit, like Khergits.
Rhodoks are the future of Calaradia, as they're the only ones who already have tactics capable of adopting firearms.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4332 on: August 06, 2015, 01:40:52 pm »

My favorite is still Vaegirs.  Yeah our archers are *technically* inferior to crossbow sharpshooters, plus they don't get shields, but...  Um...
Rhodoks are the future of Calaradia, as they're the only ones who already have tactics capable of adopting firearms.
Pah, firearms.  Don't you remember how the French armored cavalry were devastated crossing the Rubicon?  Their rifles got clogged by mud and were no match for the fine Welsh longbows, folded over a thousand times by the elven lords of Cardiff.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #4333 on: August 06, 2015, 03:42:28 pm »

At least our walls aren't made out of horseshit, like Khergits.
You are mistaken- conquerors don't need walls.

My favorite is still Vaegirs.  Yeah our archers are *technically* inferior to crossbow sharpshooters, plus they don't get shields, but...  Um...
Eh, ran the numbers earlier, master-archers have ~5 powerdraw, which is low but still makes them generally on-par or slightly-superior to sharpshooters in the DPS category. 42damx3-4 vs 63damx2 in 5 seconds, (depending on aiming time).
Given a fair fight, (aka no Rhodok 'COWER' 'hold fire' BS), the archers would hold the day by a larger margin than anticipated thanks to their higher fire-rate- they stunlock crossbow reloads.
Badges of honor

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #4334 on: August 06, 2015, 04:01:47 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 287 288 [289] 290 291 ... 310