Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 275 276 [277] 278 279 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 655048 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #4140 on: April 02, 2015, 01:43:34 pm »

That sounds weird. It's like suddenly random soldiers gain above average intelligence. I feel the point of being a leader is that you are special and having many others be just as special as you sort of dilutes this.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4141 on: April 02, 2015, 01:46:14 pm »

It sure is more entertaining than just sitting there watching the battle play out without you, though.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4142 on: April 02, 2015, 02:24:04 pm »

I eventually let my husband go free, just in time for Swadia to disintegrate.  At least 6 Counts turned Vaegir, probably receiving Swadian fiefs in exchange (now that they follow the true king).

My husband threw in with the only remaining faction, the Sarranids, even though (like the Swadians) they had no land to offer.  Also, he "left the realm".  It's cute how he thinks he can escape.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4143 on: April 02, 2015, 02:24:55 pm »

I find I can't run a warband without at least 80% cavalry. Preferably evenly mixed swadian knights and sword sisters.

I usually have only 10-20 cavalrymen for my personal retinue. After that, it's mostly archers with a small core of elite infantry to deal with anyone who makes it past the arrows/bolts. Works quite well I find.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4144 on: April 02, 2015, 06:36:34 pm »

I eventually let my husband go free, just in time for Swadia to disintegrate.  At least 6 Counts turned Vaegir, probably receiving Swadian fiefs in exchange (now that they follow the true king).

My husband threw in with the only remaining faction, the Sarranids, even though (like the Swadians) they had no land to offer.  Also, he "left the realm".  It's cute how he thinks he can escape.
I have to confess, I didn't read how this husband story began, and right now I simply refuse to because it's too funny to imagine your character as a rabid yandere chasing down the poor sod.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4145 on: April 02, 2015, 07:04:55 pm »

That sounds weird. It's like suddenly random soldiers gain above average intelligence. I feel the point of being a leader is that you are special and having many others be just as special as you sort of dilutes this.

I like it personally. So many games make you a hero. Almost none, if any, RPG let's you be an ordinary person or not a special snowflake. Closest is probably modded skyrim.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4146 on: April 02, 2015, 07:16:52 pm »

I went with the "poor ass commoner" companion line up, and how I have way too many scout-types. Gonna be fun when the Anit-Bourgoise Brigade takes ownership of the realm.  I really like some of the Floris companions though, they feel a lot more vibrant than your vanilla companions. Not to mention more interesting looking.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4147 on: April 02, 2015, 08:01:08 pm »

I like it personally. So many games make you a hero. Almost none, if any, RPG let's you be an ordinary person or not a special snowflake. Closest is probably modded skyrim.

A hero isn't quite the right word to describe the character you play in M&B.  :P

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4148 on: April 02, 2015, 08:05:00 pm »

A hero isn't quite the right word to describe the character you play in M&B.  :P

Well, still. I'm not a big fan of being special in a game. At least with freelancer (actually forgot that one), I can skip being a vassal and be an ordinary troop. Which is a lot more fun actually, charging at the enemy with the king's troops and surrounded by allies. Most fun I have in mount and blade :D Except I'm with the Welsh, so on my current character I play as a vassal. Mostly cause Welsh get owned most of the time in 1257.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4149 on: April 02, 2015, 08:19:06 pm »

Can be, depending on how you play it. Killing off bandits, protecting the villagers, providing for them when their corrupt ass lords won't. Freeing prisoners for their captors. Not selling people into slavery. Not raiding villages. Not hunting down every fleeing opponent in a battle. Making peace between the realms for its own sake rather than personal gain. Being generous with your time and effort. Becoming an upstanding member of the business and trading community, uplifting your town and surrounding villages in prosperity while making some profit yourself.

There's lots of ways to be a real hero in M&B instead of another blood-soaked mercenary. The game just doesn't reward it very well.

Another one of my primary gripes about the sandbox that they say they're trying to correct in Bannerlord: factions are very samey. Your default assumption is all nations pillage and plunder, whereas I think in a more realistic setting, there'd be noticeable differences between them. Some conquerors might put a lot of people to the sword just on principal, where another might to integrate the conquered into their society. Some cultures might pillage villages simply to hurt the other nation than for any strategic need, where other nations have a code they abide by and refuse to do that, focusing instead on chasing down armies. It's the big problem I always have around this time in M&B: whom to fight for? They're all technically the same, and I need a better motivation to commit than "well these guys are winning/losing" or "vikings!" "arabs!" "french!" "mongols!" I really have to commit to a kingdom before I even bother reading who is who, whose important, etc... there's just too much information to take in, to really care about. It's kind of like DF where, up to a certain point, you're not super concerned with lore, genealogies, etc...until you get invested into the world in some way and a reason to hook into it.

I usually end up starting with Swadia, because Knights. But I'm tempted to help the Vaegir out against the almost insurmountable odds the Nords have built up against them. They're down to one city which means they're not producing crap anymore. Single-handedly saving an entire kingdom should be pretty rewarding. Which probably won't happen as I drown in a sea of beards and axes.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4150 on: April 02, 2015, 08:51:07 pm »

... You COULD, you know, attack the Vaegir and take their last city yourself. ;P
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4151 on: April 02, 2015, 09:18:25 pm »

... You COULD, you know, attack the Vaegir and take their last city yourself. ;P
A heroic move in my books! Better to be put to the sword than the axe eh?
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4152 on: April 02, 2015, 09:46:28 pm »

Yeah! And if he wins, he's gets a town! :D
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4153 on: April 02, 2015, 10:10:36 pm »

And immediately get counter pillaged by the Nords and anyone else who is up for a stroll in the North? No, I think I'll go the Merc route for a while and fatten up my armies. I've been making due with 50 troops the whole time, which is enough to kill anything except Black Khergit Death Squads and the pack of Forest Bandits that have found a leader. I need to beef up my army significantly before I'm taking on nation troops.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4154 on: April 03, 2015, 02:30:33 am »

Been playing the Floris mod. Can't say I like it. Combat has been slightly altered in many ways, which doesn't really add to the game but rather just makes you have to relearn all the nuances of range and timing, and I swear the AI gets some sort of hidden bonus in tournaments. I have to nail a horse or person with 3-4 hits/arrows before they fall yet both me and my horse seem to die to one attack often.

Then you have the extended trees. I love the idea but you end up with a bunch of "capture X troops of Y type" missions that were normally very annoying but now unreasonably difficult (all armies are now less likely to have the troop you are looking for and even if they do they are less likely to have as many as they normally would have), leading to constant relation decreases to anyone who asks.

And to top it off, my companions don't seem to recognize certain items as their type. I ask some of them to autoequip crossbows, and then they discard the crossbow I already had put int heir slot and won't pick it back up, I have to manually put it back. I can't use the "companions select loot" button because of this.
Pages: 1 ... 275 276 [277] 278 279 ... 310