Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 274 275 [276] 277 278 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 654993 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #4125 on: April 01, 2015, 11:21:20 pm »

I don't know if this is just Floris or what, but why do goddamn Desert Bandit raiding parties consist of nearly 50% Black Khergit Lancers?

I'm supposed to be fighting bandits, not a goddamn armored lance. I watched a reinforcement wave half the size of my army lay waste to it in minutes. Why Desert Bandits? I go back to Forest Bandits, and they're not sporting knights in full armor on chargers.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4126 on: April 01, 2015, 11:31:19 pm »

I don't know if this is just Floris or what, but why do goddamn Desert Bandit raiding parties consist of nearly 50% Black Khergit Lancers?

I'm supposed to be fighting bandits, not a goddamn armored lance. I watched a reinforcement wave half the size of my army lay waste to it in minutes. Why Desert Bandits? I go back to Forest Bandits, and they're not sporting knights in full armor on chargers.
In floris the black khergits really get insane after a long game, the desert becomes completely uninhabitable due to huge groups of them. It's worse if there's a hero party leading more of them.

It's kinda fun having them there but if i mained sarranid it would be understandably terrible.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4127 on: April 01, 2015, 11:37:18 pm »

Hell I was just stopping in to knock out some Guildmaster quests, like Day 50, and it took me several fights before I realized quite what was going on. Then I started seeing them everywhere. It explains the 26-sized parties with 125 prisoners. Also might explain why the Sarranid are getting their asses handed to them, because bandits are murdalating half their armies. Knowing that kind of annoys me. I like playing Laurence of Arabia during my official merc section of the game.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 11:44:57 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4128 on: April 02, 2015, 01:25:46 am »

Update on my runaway husband situation:
"Do not try running away or trying something stupid.  I will be watching you."
"No, I swear I won't."

Bluh.  I guess by meeting outside the walls, he didn't mean "in chains".  I'd free him, but Swadia has no more holdings so will probably collapse soon.  Maybe I ironically won't be able to make up with him unless I free him and he converts back to Vaegir of his own volition.  Willful bastid.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4129 on: April 02, 2015, 05:37:36 am »

That is very much a Floris thing. That and the lack of retreat options are the two things that make Floris not perfect.

runaway husband situation
This is the best M&B story by far.

Aren't the Rhodoks supposed to be the guys who can break a Swadian charge or whatever? I'm getting my ass beat by a party half my size of comparable training. Should I not be holding my ground? How do I deal with the invincible cavalry?
That's the "Story" part of Gameplay and Story Segregation. In reality any infantry regardless of spear status is helpless against cavalry. Unless you use the finicky spear bracing AI from stuff like Floris. Finicky because GAH I CAN'T REMEMBER THE BUTTON COMBO FOR NOT GETTING TRAMPLED.

I REALLY hope Bannerlord has some vanilla spear bracing thing that the AI uses without me seizureing through the menu's.
Preferably some kind of "just hold a stab attack and point at horsey and horsey will be not alive when it hits" system. That the AI actually uses (and attempts to evade) intelligently.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4130 on: April 02, 2015, 06:10:29 am »

Yeah, I play floris as well and the bandits group up in unkillable 1300-man zerg rushes. Difficulty is much like dwarf fortress excepted there are more webber/deadly dust forgotten beasts in Floris.

And they never attack towns as well.

It's borderline doable with forest bandits but all the rest ? You are already dead.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 06:15:42 am by Naryar »

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4131 on: April 02, 2015, 06:57:09 am »

And exacerbating the issue is the fact that you can't retreat from battles like you CAN IN VANILLA. Meaning at some point, the dev of Floris said to himself "you know what sounds AWESOME? Getting ganked by armies you can't fight and NOT BEING ABLE TO RETREAT"

Like I said, these two things are the only real problem Floris has. If someone fixed them it would basically be perfect.

Indeed, I do this.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4132 on: April 02, 2015, 07:44:11 am »

Re: Rhodoks - they aren't magical horse-stopping wizards with peculiarly pointy staves. They beat Swadia, but only on the territory that is their country nowadays.

And if you've ever fought in Rhodok lands, you know that means mountains and hills ERRYWHERE.

I have fought off numerically superior armies with cav, but it's very much reliant on picking your fights and praying to RNGesus. Also, Stand Closer order is your friend - you want those infantrymen form a line thick enough that it simply cannot be charged through most of the time.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4133 on: April 02, 2015, 07:49:05 am »

I have fought off numerically superior armies with cav, but it's very much reliant on picking your fights and praying to RNGesus.

Mostly I find its about having high-end cav and selecting "charge" to watch the carnage.

Indeed, I do this.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4134 on: April 02, 2015, 08:48:54 am »

Play it cautious and you can win with just about anyone. Though heavy cavalry does prove a large advantage.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4135 on: April 02, 2015, 09:11:40 am »

Crouching should have been in the game from the very tip of development and spear bracing should be as simple as crouching while holding a pointy stick.

That said the whole combat engine rather shafts spears and the emulation has never been too sharp. Enemies are much too intent to spearhead forward and pole-dance soldiers making their weapon straight-up pointless. Often I have my spearline flailing around like pikes out of water. I can't really claim myself a spear partisan with those wooden results although it often forks the community.
Sometimes I think the devs are poking fun.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4136 on: April 02, 2015, 09:16:52 am »

I use mainly the pike in vanilla multiplayer and I love it.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4137 on: April 02, 2015, 10:56:06 am »

I have fought off numerically superior armies with cav, but it's very much reliant on picking your fights and praying to RNGesus.

Mostly I find its about having high-end cav and selecting "charge" to watch the carnage.
Badly phrased on my part; I meant 'numerically superior armies which have a substantial amount of cavalrymen'.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4138 on: April 02, 2015, 12:00:36 pm »

I find I can't run a warband without at least 80% cavalry. Preferably evenly mixed swadian knights and sword sisters.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4139 on: April 02, 2015, 01:02:04 pm »

And exacerbating the issue is the fact that you can't retreat from battles like you CAN IN VANILLA. Meaning at some point, the dev of Floris said to himself "you know what sounds AWESOME? Getting ganked by armies you can't fight and NOT BEING ABLE TO RETREAT"

Like I said, these two things are the only real problem Floris has. If someone fixed them it would basically be perfect.

In 1257 mod, you take over one of your soldiers and fight through him/her if you die. I thought that was neat, and haven't seen other mods do that. I think you can still retreat too. Beats waiting for hours for a battle to end lol.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn
Pages: 1 ... 274 275 [276] 277 278 ... 310