Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 268 269 [270] 271 272 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 656192 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #4035 on: March 25, 2015, 06:02:20 pm »

It's really good. Tournaments are by far the best way to get started. Renown is nice and easy to get, I have over 3000 now (though that's mostly due to my army personally taking over the entirety of the Vaegirs plus Uxhkal, Wercheg, Sargoth, Tihr and a few castles from the Swadians and Nords)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4036 on: March 26, 2015, 12:00:21 am »

Tournaments feel like cheating. The AI is too bad to feel like it's a risk to lose your bets.

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4037 on: March 26, 2015, 06:55:51 am »

I must be a hell of a bad player then. Tournaments are a PITA for me, especially when there's large teams and I don't get a horse. I can only start to reliably win them when I'm already high level, renowned and rich as hell.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4038 on: March 26, 2015, 07:02:42 am »

Luck matters somewhat; if you are a shit archer and spawn with a bow, ye gonne have yer ass kicked.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4039 on: March 26, 2015, 09:38:19 am »

Tournaments are cool but whenever you're 1 vs 1 with a jousting lance it becomes a real pain in the ass, it just goes forever and it becomes a contest to see how can you fool the other guy to be farther than 2 cm away so that either of you can actually try to score any damage!

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4040 on: March 26, 2015, 11:12:30 am »

Yeah, I honestly got no idea why they wouldn't give jousters a knife at least. I mean if your horse is oneshotted by a couched lance 2 seconds into the tournie you are screwed.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4041 on: March 26, 2015, 12:31:19 pm »

Tips for tournaments.

- You can still use army commands in groups. Call your guys to you and let the other groups battle it out first.

- You can defeat any horseman by standing near a corner in the wall or a door. The horse will run into the corner/door and get stuck.

- If you don't have a weapon you like, grab one off a dead body.

- Knocking out one guy is usually enough to get you to the next round at the cost of your bet. If things look bad aim for someone without a shield.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4042 on: March 26, 2015, 12:34:52 pm »

You know, despite being frustratingly unable to master the late-game mechanics, the game can still be a lot of fun.  I think I still have that mod (Freelancer?) which lets you travel around in a lord's army for money and loot.  Being a simple Vaegir marksman was surprisingly satisfying.  Didn't have to worry about casualties, or training, or tiny army size caps...  Just being an exemplary and well-rewarded sniper.

Got a link to that?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #4043 on: March 26, 2015, 12:36:53 pm »

When 1 v 1 lancing, aim for the horse. Either lancing it, or dismounting, 2-handing the lance and let the other guy stab his horse on it. Then make a run for your horse and run him down.

A bit risky, you might feel sorry for poor horsey, but hey, if it get's you the win...

As for getting a bow when you are a crap shooter - try to loot some weapons as soon as you can. Also, in Warband you do get a knife together with a bow, but personally I was never quite proficient with it.

- You can still use army commands in groups. Call your guys to you and let the other groups battle it out first.
Huh. In all my years, I never even though of doing that...
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4044 on: March 26, 2015, 12:54:56 pm »

When 1 v 1 lancing, aim for the horse. Either lancing it, or dismounting, 2-handing the lance and let the other guy stab his horse on it. Then make a run for your horse and run him down.
I think that makes it worse. The other guy usually can just stand walking in circles and use your momentum against you with his lance.

You know, despite being frustratingly unable to master the late-game mechanics, the game can still be a lot of fun.  I think I still have that mod (Freelancer?) which lets you travel around in a lord's army for money and loot.  Being a simple Vaegir marksman was surprisingly satisfying.  Didn't have to worry about casualties, or training, or tiny army size caps...  Just being an exemplary and well-rewarded sniper.

Got a link to that?
It's a minimod(module?) incorporated in many other bigger mods, I think this is the original stand-alone thing http://www.moddb.com/mods/mount-blade-warband-freelancer-mod/downloads

And yeah, it's great. I just leave the game running in the background while I study and drop into a battle when I feel like I need a break. Also good for AFK farming a name for yourself as a new character, rather than going through the grind manually all over again.

Mind = blown

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4045 on: March 26, 2015, 12:58:00 pm »

Got a link to that?
The download here should be good:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/mount-blade-warband-freelancer-mod

It's 1.6, from last November.  It's supposed to have some bugfixes from 1.5, the version I'm using.  1.5 didn't crash on me at all yesterday.  The only real bug I remember (from a while ago) was some weirdness about being captured after losing a battle, but I don't remember the details and I think it resolved itself after a few in-game days.

Fakedit, ninja'd
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4046 on: March 26, 2015, 01:43:15 pm »

That changes literally everything.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #4047 on: March 26, 2015, 02:05:15 pm »

I think that makes it worse. The other guy usually can just stand walking in circles and use your momentum against you with his lance.
From my experience, on-foot AI armed with lance does pretty poor against human horseman, so yeah, this is my preferred way of doing it, but of course YMMV.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4048 on: March 26, 2015, 03:14:02 pm »

Hm, I have about 5 villages and 1 castle, spread throughout Greater Vaegir Land (including Shapeshit as flipping always, heh).  I think I'd much prefer to have a city, ideally with one castle and a few of the surrounding towns.

I'm pretty sure I have Diplomacy as part of this Freelancer mod.  Any particular advice for consolidating?  I do get the dialogue option to suggest trading holdings, but I'm sure it's hard to trade for a town.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4049 on: March 26, 2015, 03:51:44 pm »

Hm, I have about 5 villages and 1 castle, spread throughout Greater Vaegir Land (including Shapeshit as flipping always, heh).  I think I'd much prefer to have a city, ideally with one castle and a few of the surrounding towns.

I'm pretty sure I have Diplomacy as part of this Freelancer mod.  Any particular advice for consolidating?  I do get the dialogue option to suggest trading holdings, but I'm sure it's hard to trade for a town.

I don't think you'll ever be able to trade up any holdings. It's only for trading same level holdings (castle for castle, village for village, etc), though you may also be able to trade down.

Where you go from there really depends on what you're looking to do. Starting your own faction is always fun, but with only one castle it wouldn't be easy (IIRC you'll lose all your villages if you break with your liege, except maybe if you own a village as well as its corresponding castle). You could also stay with your liege, build relations with him, and conquer loads of land for yourself, hoping he gives it to you. Getting at least one town is really useful, since they give insane amounts of money compared to other fiefs.

Some things to consider would be putting some money into productive enterprises for an independent stream of income, and working on building your right to rule and honor/dishonor up. If you want to start your own faction, you'll also need to work on getting a large army together in preparation (and the money to support it).
Pages: 1 ... 268 269 [270] 271 272 ... 310