Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 259 260 [261] 262 263 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 656023 times)

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #3900 on: November 26, 2014, 04:51:01 am »

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,103109.0.html is the battle size changer mod, goes pretty high, but even high end PCs can choke on large battles. Works with every mod I've been using so far.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3901 on: November 26, 2014, 07:34:03 am »

I've honestly wondered how good I'd be at this game if when I attacked people with my weapon on horseback... if I'd actually hit them consistently.

I can only compare myself to the first game where I'd tend to get 20-50 enemies killed per fight with my sword because that game is INCREDIBLY telegraphed with how your swings work. Mount and Black 2 is vague because of how the camera works on horseback because you always need to be aware of how your placement is.

Mind you I know why that change exists... Those are more realistic swings in the second.

There just has to be an easier way than playing for 50 more hours. Like a cue or mod.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 07:38:31 am by Neonivek »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3902 on: November 26, 2014, 01:41:10 pm »

So playing 1257 AD...and having a lot of fun.

Mount and Blade warband actually LOOKS good when running 3200x1800 (my native res is 1920x1080, I'm downsampling it. Some people can use a higher resolution when downsampling...but my monitor/PC doesn't handle it.)...and running sweetFX on top of it. Kind of looks a tad dark on the game map, but in battles and city map it looks epic as hell. Gives a witcher look to be honest...I think my main problem is it lacks a lot of color and a bit dark. So I'll try to adjust it...but looks vastly better than the outdated look :D

(edit: Here is a link to an album of some quickly taken screenshots

http://imgur.com/a/fSyoY#0

I think I need to tweak SweetFX more. It looks kinda colorless and dark. I'll see what others think...mount and blade in general (dunno about bannerlord) tends to not have much color to begin with. Definitely not anything bright. So maybe it fits. Still seems kinda dark though...personally, I kinda like it...but each their own eyes. :) )

1257 AD is my favourite mod by a long shot. My only gripe is that the generally large sizes of armies means battles take forever even at the maximum unit size. Speaking of which, anyone know of a good mod (or sub mod for 1257 even) that allows you to raise the amount of units on the map from 250 to somewhere around 1000?
Yeah, like Burnt Pies already posted, Battle Size Changer mod. It's actually more of a setting editor than an actual mod, it just lets you input a number beyond the constraints of the slider.

I will warn you, however. I thought, "Hey, my computer doesn't have any issues with the normal max number of soldiers. I'll just crank it up to 800!" IT. WAS. HUBRIS.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3903 on: November 26, 2014, 01:44:02 pm »

Yeah, the size editor... how taxing is it? As far as I know, the AI amounts to 'draw line to enemy, follow line, kill enemy as soon as weapon range = line length', so the added processing load would be mostly on rendering them... But then again small things pile up.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3904 on: November 26, 2014, 01:44:47 pm »

I will warn you, however. I thought, "Hey, my computer doesn't have any issues with the normal max number of soldiers. I'll just crank it up to 800!" IT. WAS. HUBRIS.

Yeah.. I turned it up to ~400 when I first used it back in what, 2008? Back when the max was 150. I learned that isn't a good idea, just because the character models and graphics aren't amazing doesn't mean your CPU will be able to deal with all the people thinking.. Now even with my current pc I wouldn't try to push past ~250, since even the newest versions seem to be !!slow!! with 200+ people. Hiccups in the middle of battle isn't cool too [i.e. when 100+ reinforcements come there will sometimes be a lag spike that can get you headshotted], so I don't put it past 200's.

I think I had 275 set at one point, but it was hellish at times. I don't remember if the original M&B is more or less optimized for huge battles, but I still wouldn't recommend going past 200. 200 makes the warfare seem realistic enough, and your stacks are rarely larger than 100 in open field battles anyway, even late-game. So the epicness is there, and you still get waves if it's a massive battle in terms of numbers. Either way 250 is serious nosebleed levels and higher than that you're going to get hiccups because of the AI brains drowning your PC.

There is also the issue of M&B1 earlier versions having the 'ultimate blob of doom' sometimes where soldiers would just turn into a moshpit of anger and weaponry.. Probably had to do with me putting the limit too high, I think.. I got caught in one of those and my computer almost cried before I finally got plinked down to no health. I only recall this happening a long, long time ago. Not sure if it's as common nowadays as I don't play M&B anymore.

The AI thinking is rather processor intensive, seemingly. Something something something unoptimized code, they did clean it up though later on.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 02:02:21 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3905 on: November 26, 2014, 03:08:04 pm »

I'm running at 600 in TLD mod. It only starts to chug in big battles once the two armies start hitting each other with melee. My computer does not have outstanding components. I did turn all the graphics down all the way. It seems to be taxing the CPU more than the GPU. However, if I go into the escape menu and then return to a battle my fps drops to <10fps until the battle ends no matter how many troops are left on either side.

EDIT: Warband not original M&B

Spoiler: Erebor, his home (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Still M&B (click to show/hide)

I used the in-mod cheats to make Geshud a badass, since you start out as a commander on your side and I figure he's a dwarf so commander + dwarf = badass. Plus I haven't played TLD in a few years at least, so I want to learn how to do non-fighting things in it and what to focus on and what-not before a no cheat run.  I significantly reinforced friendly towns at risk of being sieged by the evil side with second tier troops I trained from recruits, notably Rohan's smaller towns and pretty much all of Gondor's cities. I also teleport around a ton to do quests and save cities under siege. Once I do an evil playthrough I won't use the cheats, evil are very heavily advantaged in everything except troop quality in combats the player participates in, and even then it's only disparate between goodly folk's equal tier troops's equipment and skills compared to the evil's. For instance Rhun does well in autocalculate but half their troops are shirtless and shieldless so they get slaughtered in player battles. Elves and dwarves are quite a bit better then men in both level at a given troop tier and also have really strong armor and weapons. In the same ways men are quite a bit better than orcs. I'm not sure about Uruks, I think possibly they are roughly equal to men but I haven't checked.

The various types of troll are pretty devastating to AI troops. They do area damage, knock troops they hit down and sends them flying, and oneshot most things so when they swing you will see a flood of killspam. They also hit their own allies. The player can kill them pretty easily with a two handed axe if they swing and run away while they recover from a flinch. They are extremely slow so as long as you aren't stationary they won't start their slow attack animation. Wargs are terribly annoying as they continue to try to run your troops over after the rider is killed, but they go down quickly against 2handed weapons or a throwing axe hit.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 04:12:20 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3906 on: November 26, 2014, 03:10:46 pm »

I'd have to test with my newer CPU on the latest Warband to see if it's feasible to go above 400. I consider my new CPU leagues above what I ran previous so I could be wrong now. I would seriously recommend not going above that with all my previous experiences, though, with the older non-expansion M&B.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3907 on: November 26, 2014, 03:55:17 pm »

I went with 500 battle size. Any other number, except 250, would annoy my slight OCD I have in real life. 500 is nice and right in the middle between 1 and 1000.

Went to battle constantinople, and it played fine. I have ragdolls and corpses as high as they can go, downsampling, sweetfx and slight lag in the beginning and then it went away. I noticed after I set my graphics card (or maybe it was a windows thing) option to full power from balanced or whatever it is by default. I noticed I get a HUGE performance increase in all my games. Like for my heavily modded Skyrim, I saw a 10-20 FPS increase from setting my PC to use full power in games. Mount and blade I see a huge increase as well, since I couldn't even have done a 500 battle size on top of sweetfx/downsampling before that.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3908 on: November 26, 2014, 07:39:10 pm »

Brb gettint new pants. I suppose there are invisible walls to prevent the dumb AI from falling in the water?
Also, Minas Tirith in it?

Edit: threw the quote away with the rest of the post, oops.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 03:59:41 am by Uristides »

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3909 on: November 27, 2014, 03:14:35 am »

Oh my gosh.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3910 on: November 27, 2014, 03:45:07 am »

These mods that increase the sizes of armies, that's how many guys are on the battlefield at once yes? I wouldn't think it would allow for more complicated battles tactics wise. Armies devolve into blobs of screaming men quite quickly in "Mount and Blade".
That's a mod I'd like to see; one that allows for coherent and consistent squads of troops.

I would've thought that after a high enough amount, the game engine would become the limiting factor rather than the computer itself.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3911 on: November 27, 2014, 03:56:51 am »

What I find interesting is that the game makes it a point to make Mercenaries expensive "only if you don't have the right units" kind of guys.

And that other games USUALLY treat mercenaries the same way. Medieval 2 total war sometimes made them useful but it was pretty rare.

Yet in real life... Mercenaries were quite often better then the regular army.

Mount and Blade is sometimes weird.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3912 on: November 27, 2014, 05:52:06 am »

These mods that increase the sizes of armies, that's how many guys are on the battlefield at once yes? I wouldn't think it would allow for more complicated battles tactics wise. Armies devolve into blobs of screaming men quite quickly in "Mount and Blade".
That's a mod I'd like to see; one that allows for coherent and consistent squads of troops.

I would've thought that after a high enough amount, the game engine would become the limiting factor rather than the computer itself.

Some mods, like the 1257 AD or Brytenwalda, add more coherent formations for both the player and the AI. I've also seen a mod/OSP which included the ability to split troops of the same type into different command groups.

There's also the 'Nearby Units!' command group which you can use to coordinate pre-assigned troops into different positions than the rest of the group (pretty useful for more modern mods in sieges, where too many troops just clog things up).
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3913 on: November 27, 2014, 08:49:13 am »

Yeah, I've seen a few mods included with others that makes commanding troop squads easier. I guess it's in the name, "Warband", that the focus is on smaller groups of fighters rather than commanding an army. I think the developers would need to put more focus on larger armies to solve these issues.

Issues like; Commanding troops by holding down F1-F5 to place a flag at a spot, the in game mini map not displaying terrain, maps too mountainous for long battlelines, unit formation not holding when told to attack, not being able to tell units to face a certain direction.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3914 on: November 27, 2014, 09:00:00 am »

Yeah, I've seen a few mods included with others that makes commanding troop squads easier. I guess it's in the name, "Warband", that the focus is on smaller groups of fighters rather than commanding an army. I think the developers would need to put more focus on larger armies to solve these issues.

Issues like; Commanding troops by holding down F1-F5 to place a flag at a spot, the in game mini map not displaying terrain, maps too mountainous for long battlelines, unit formation not holding when told to attack, not being able to tell units to face a certain direction.

Err, can't you already do that?
Pages: 1 ... 259 260 [261] 262 263 ... 310