Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 258 259 [260] 261 262 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 655948 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #3885 on: November 23, 2014, 07:05:53 pm »

Should I empty my entire garrison into one super DOOM Patrol? At what reasonable size should I make it to scare away even the assembled armies? Does the unit level matter or do I need to stuff em with veterans and elites?
Numbers alone is sufficient to scare enemies away.  Quality doesn't matter, unless they actually get into a fight with you around... though, I don't remember how much quality effects autobattles.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3886 on: November 23, 2014, 07:09:24 pm »

If you want to actually KILL raiders, a small but elite army is the way to go.  Higher party size makes you slower.  You also want that party skill that makes you move faster, pathfinding I think.  And calvalry will make you go even faster.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3887 on: November 23, 2014, 07:19:53 pm »

If you want to actually KILL raiders, a small but elite army is the way to go.  Higher party size makes you slower.  You also want that party skill that makes you move faster, pathfinding I think.  And calvalry will make you go even faster.

Actually, inaccurate on both accounts.

You can actually have two armies of the same size, one cav and one infantry, with Infantry moving faster.

The party speed is calculated from the Athletics skill of footmen, Riding skill of cavalrymen, IIRC by taking the slowest person's speed or perhaps by averaging it all somehow, plus the Pathfinding bonus, minus I think weight of inventory.

A common large army will have a lot of low-level grunts, and low-level guys have low Athletics/Riding most of the time, which will drag your party down, but a large elite army will outpace a small band of peasants.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3888 on: November 23, 2014, 07:43:58 pm »

I believe horses in the inventory also decrease the penalty you get from the weight.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3889 on: November 23, 2014, 08:01:17 pm »

I'm pretty sure it's some sort of average, with a malus based on party size, though I haven't specifically tested.  Or maybe the speed of the slowest unit is taken into account, I don't know.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3890 on: November 23, 2014, 08:45:59 pm »

I believe horses in the inventory also decrease the penalty you get from the weight.
I looked it up because of scrdest said.

The way it seems to work is that horses reduce the impact of inventory weight on speed, but also add to that weight themselves.  So there are diminishing returns once you have a reasonable amount of horses for your weight.  Also if you have a ton of horses and a very light inventory they will actually make you move slower.

Generally though, more horses in inventory = moving faster.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Yannanth

« Reply #3891 on: November 24, 2014, 07:16:53 am »

« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 04:20:47 pm by Yannanth »

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #3892 on: November 24, 2014, 12:55:33 pm »

There's actually an achievement called Mountain Blade. :3
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3893 on: November 24, 2014, 04:33:36 pm »

I got 2 lords to defect. The less fief I hold he more money I get. I think I need 3 more lords before expanding again.

What personality makes for great vassals? I got a few cunning lords with negative relation with their liege. Do they clash with martial lords? Most of my lords are martial.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #3894 on: November 25, 2014, 02:18:37 pm »

Having a line of 80 hatamoto gunners open fire can tear armies apart. Especially higher Campaign and Combat AI means their strategy is a few minute shootouts as they circle and creep closer to you.

Then I throw peasant spearmen at the grand melee while the hatamoto gunners rips shit apart.
How do you even get 80 Hatamoto anythings?  I remember my pre-3.0 game with a buncha progression, I had a crapload of companions and got Trainer as high as I could on all of them, and it was still taking like weeks and weeks on top of fighting and stuff to train up guys into Hatamotos.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3895 on: November 25, 2014, 02:40:42 pm »

Having a line of 80 hatamoto gunners open fire can tear armies apart. Especially higher Campaign and Combat AI means their strategy is a few minute shootouts as they circle and creep closer to you.

Then I throw peasant spearmen at the grand melee while the hatamoto gunners rips shit apart.
How do you even get 80 Hatamoto anythings?  I remember my pre-3.0 game with a buncha progression, I had a crapload of companions and got Trainer as high as I could on all of them, and it was still taking like weeks and weeks on top of fighting and stuff to train up guys into Hatamotos.

Trainer depends, among others, on the trainer being higher level than the trainee, so perhaps that was the problem.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3896 on: November 25, 2014, 05:15:40 pm »

I train them in large batches depending on my party size. A bit like 60% samurai gunners and the rest is fodder.

80 ji-samurais
1 day to marksman/retainer
1-2 day to gunner/archer or mounted/veteran retainer
about 3-4 days to master gunner/archer or officer
then at least a week to hatamoto.

While training spearmen/skirmisher on the side you can get at least 200-300 at veteran level. Since I throw them into combat when it takes more than 2 days, the worse I lose is 10-20.

The worse part of this is actually collecting all those ji-samurais.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3897 on: November 25, 2014, 10:50:53 pm »

So playing 1257 AD...and having a lot of fun.

Mount and Blade warband actually LOOKS good when running 3200x1800 (my native res is 1920x1080, I'm downsampling it. Some people can use a higher resolution when downsampling...but my monitor/PC doesn't handle it.)...and running sweetFX on top of it. Kind of looks a tad dark on the game map, but in battles and city map it looks epic as hell. Gives a witcher look to be honest...I think my main problem is it lacks a lot of color and a bit dark. So I'll try to adjust it...but looks vastly better than the outdated look :D

(edit: Here is a link to an album of some quickly taken screenshots

http://imgur.com/a/fSyoY#0

I think I need to tweak SweetFX more. It looks kinda colorless and dark. I'll see what others think...mount and blade in general (dunno about bannerlord) tends to not have much color to begin with. Definitely not anything bright. So maybe it fits. Still seems kinda dark though...personally, I kinda like it...but each their own eyes. :) )
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 11:35:08 pm by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3898 on: November 26, 2014, 02:25:04 am »

Mount and Blade warband actually LOOKS good when running 3200x1800 (my native res is 1920x1080, I'm downsampling it. Some people can use a higher resolution when downsampling...but my monitor/PC doesn't handle it.)...and running sweetFX on top of it. Kind of looks a tad dark on the game map, but in battles and city map it looks epic as hell. Gives a witcher look to be honest...I think my main problem is it lacks a lot of color and a bit dark. So I'll try to adjust it...but looks vastly better than the outdated look :D

I think I need to tweak SweetFX more. It looks kinda colorless and dark. I'll see what others think...mount and blade in general (dunno about bannerlord) tends to not have much color to begin with. Definitely not anything bright. So maybe it fits. Still seems kinda dark though...personally, I kinda like it...but each their own eyes. :) )

1257 AD is my favourite mod by a long shot. My only gripe is that the generally large sizes of armies means battles take forever even at the maximum unit size. Speaking of which, anyone know of a good mod (or sub mod for 1257 even) that allows you to raise the amount of units on the map from 250 to somewhere around 1000?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3899 on: November 26, 2014, 02:55:25 am »

Wow, that looks NICE.  My laptop would sputter and die with graphics like that, unfortunately.
Pages: 1 ... 258 259 [260] 261 262 ... 310