Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 [258] 259 260 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 655880 times)

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #3855 on: November 19, 2014, 03:25:20 pm »

Yeah, the amount the AI cheats in M&B has always been fairly ridiculous.

Trying to move mods over to the GOG version. Tested 1866 and Star Wars Conquest so far. No mod-specific music so far. Had an issue where character models tried to stretch into the blue yonder, but that only happened once. I also still have the issue where the executable doesn't close right, and I need task manager to jkill it to gt back to the dcesktop.

The model/texture stretching happens to me nigh constantly on M&B Warband I just accept it. Oddly for me on M&B I have so far not had this problem.

starscream

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3856 on: November 19, 2014, 04:46:06 pm »

I hope you don't think they are using their own troops to garrison, because they aren't. They just spawn troops when they capture a fortress or town.

the troops they spawn is a pitifully small garrison.  you can take it back easy if you attack right away.  then harass the main force outside of the castle.  individual lords will eventually break off and do their own thing.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3857 on: November 19, 2014, 11:33:31 pm »

Playing Gekokujo mod. Anyone know what clan has peasant gunners? Also what Ikko Ikki's troop specialty?

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #3858 on: November 20, 2014, 01:48:58 am »

I believe the Oda are pretty gun-heavy.  In 3.0 I'm not as sure, since archers and gunners are both rolled into just 'skirmishers', which I -think- separate back into dedicated archers or gunners at higher levels, but in the previous version they definitely have gunners as their basic ranged unit.

Iunno about the Ikko Ikki.  I know they're based on the monks that kicked Oda's ass... I wanna say they're heavy on naginata and guns, but I'm not sure?

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3859 on: November 20, 2014, 02:42:39 am »

Testing it out seems that peasant level skirmishers gets a split bow/gunners. Kinda disappointing really. Probably gonna have to rely on those monk gunners from that other temple for my bulk of my cheap gunners.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3860 on: November 20, 2014, 03:30:58 am »

Although on the flip side this is the game that gives the player's entire army 2x health by default, and makes it easy to have their casualties come back 9/10 times, so... player cheats too.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3861 on: November 20, 2014, 05:41:34 am »

Although on the flip side this is the game that gives the player's entire army 2x health by default, and makes it easy to have their casualties come back 9/10 times, so... player cheats too.

Well, arguably default. It's referred to as Easy mode setting. I never bothered to set it to that because I didn't realize the implications.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3862 on: November 20, 2014, 01:01:35 pm »

When I first started, I thought playing on full damage was masochistic, but it just means playing more carefully (and using cheese whenever possible). You can still do crazy stuff like solo groups of 40 sea raiders on full damage, and fight armies at a 5:1 numbers disadvantage with minimal casualties, it just requires more planning and patience. 1/4 damage really is godmode, but the appeal is that it removes some of the randomness of taking 70 damage from a javelin across the map or something.

And yeah, it's default set to 1/4 player damage and 1/2 party damage, most people would give up 10 minutes in after getting their horse killed by looter rocks otherwise.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3863 on: November 20, 2014, 01:28:43 pm »

I take the easy difficulty options.  Lance charging got boring for me fast, and horse archery is even worse.  Honestly I think the mounted combat is the most tedious part of the game.  I want to snipe the enemies as they advance, then mix it up in melee.

Except the game actively punishes that, by forcing you to be outnumbered at all times.  Initially with arbitrary limits on party size (Take my money!  Why won't you accept my gold!).  Then to continue gaining renown you need to be horribly outnumbered.  So it's not enough to take out 20 enemies in melee - you aren't allowed to distract them with men of your own.  Which means you'll be fighting several opponents at a time, which is where their *absolute bs* ability to swing through each other...

Fortunately at high levels of strength and armor you can just spam overhead blows while backpedaling, tanking their hits for 0-2 damage.  But that's *dumb*.  Fun for a while, but a waste of the combat system.  Parrying and shields are completely useless against three opponents, just wear armor and athletics and overpower them.

Sorry for the rant, and maybe I'm exaggerating.  The obvious answer is for me to stop worrying about renown so much, and maybe mod away the party size and recruit limitations.  Then I can spend my incredible amounts of money on hiring a proper army.  Just like the other nobles do via magic!

Edit: So that I can set the difficulty to normal and have actual mid-battle duels where I have to react to an enemy's spring, then parry.  While still remaining aware of the battlefield around me in case someone attacks from behind.  That sounds fun, not picking off conga lines of unblockable damage.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 01:31:35 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3864 on: November 20, 2014, 02:10:20 pm »

I think the problem of the music in 1866 is the mp3 format used instead of the ogg , maybe gog version has some trouble with it and only enhanced can read without a problem.

Anyways for those that want to play 1866 with the music, i converted all the mp3 into ogg and modified the music.txt accordingly.

Download the archive on that dropbox page

In oggmusic-1866.rar you'll find a folder named music and a file named music.txt
Replace the folder named music in the 1866 module by this one , and replace the file named music.txt from the same 1866 module by the new one.

This way i have all the musics playing in 1866 on my gog version of M&B1

It's not this. Solid&Shade has its music in Ogg Vorbis format and does not play. I am not using the "enhanced" version of the original M&B, whatever that is. Both the original and GOG versions use FMOD for sound, which is certainly capable of handling MP3s and Oggs.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3865 on: November 20, 2014, 03:05:47 pm »

Well, arguably default. It's referred to as Easy mode setting. I never bothered to set it to that because I didn't realize the implications.

Must explain why I'm so bitter about it since I do in fact play on full damage so the AI bullshit is just increased tenfold since tanking the absurd army numbers you will eventually face is just made harder. And I enjoy just taking max int myself because I almost always expect to lose my battles so like to be prepared to bounce back quickly.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3866 on: November 20, 2014, 05:04:53 pm »

M&B clearly subscribes to the old game design logic that the player will eventually be able to exploit the hell out of everything, so just make the lategame really hard so it'll be about even.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3867 on: November 20, 2014, 05:57:31 pm »

I think the problem of the music in 1866 is the mp3 format used instead of the ogg , maybe gog version has some trouble with it and only enhanced can read without a problem.

Anyways for those that want to play 1866 with the music, i converted all the mp3 into ogg and modified the music.txt accordingly.

Download the archive on that dropbox page

In oggmusic-1866.rar you'll find a folder named music and a file named music.txt
Replace the folder named music in the 1866 module by this one , and replace the file named music.txt from the same 1866 module by the new one.

This way i have all the musics playing in 1866 on my gog version of M&B1

It's not this. Solid&Shade has its music in Ogg Vorbis format and does not play. I am not using the "enhanced" version of the original M&B, whatever that is. Both the original and GOG versions use FMOD for sound, which is certainly capable of handling MP3s and Oggs.

Enhanced version is, IIRC, an exe edit to the M&B file that includes some fixes for things like memory problems. The thing is, the actual latest version of M&B by Taleworlds incorporated those fixes in the official release. Or said release is the Enhanced and the name of the edit is something else, but that's the gist of it.

E: Going INT does not really pay off that well, since pretty much every single INT skill is a Party skill, meaning any companion gives the exact same bonus effect as if you picked it yourself. Since STR and AGI are only useful as far as your individual skill turns the tide of the fight, I tend to go for CHA, which allows you to make bigger and cheaper-upkeep armies and some the skills are impossible to outsource.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 06:01:39 pm by scrdest »
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3868 on: November 20, 2014, 09:14:52 pm »

You'd want the 3 medical skills on yourself though since your fucked if your companion that has them goes down.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3869 on: November 22, 2014, 09:42:36 am »

I got Kyoto and my god it earns 50k in tariffs!

Ahem anyways, got a few questions.

I got a town but I have a tiny oversight I forgot, how do I get vassals to join me when I haven't befriended any of them yet?
What level and skill should I get for companions to be vassals?

Mod specific questions:
Diplomacy mod allows you choose your faction culture, why do I have only Miyoshi and Usuegi clans?
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 [258] 259 260 ... 310