Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 254 255 [256] 257 258 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 655834 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #3825 on: November 14, 2014, 12:26:12 pm »

Enigmatic Hat, what you want to do when you strike out on your own is have cultivated a lot of relations with nobles, especially in the faction you're planning on taking over but also in other factions. When you get into a fight with them (I think), you can ask them to instead switch over to your side, and if they like you enough, they will.

As for why you get caught, if you have a huge force and the dialog in the bottom left says "Your party has been spotted by [city/village/castle], that's why. If you've been spotted, you are pretty much guaranteed to get caught, and if you have a large party, you have a really high chance to be spotted.

I'd recommend you get Silverstag and start over, understanding stats. What I tend to do is have one or two party stats I, my character, levels up, take all the leader skills, and have companions take over different skills. Artimenner is good at siege work, Jeremus is good at medical, and Ymira is a good blank slate so I can make her do whatever I want. There are guides online, some mod-specific (I think Silverstag has one) about which companions hate which ones, so you can make sure you only get companions that like each other (and thus not have issues). You can also get a list of which companions dislike you sending out who for "Right to Rule" quests, and act accordingly, since if you send out who they hate before you send them out, they'll comment and say "You suck." and won't go out themselves. (I.E. if Jeremus hates Artimenner who hates Ymira who hates Rolf who hates Jeremus (These aren't the true ones, they're just names off my head) then if you don't have Rolf, you can send out Jeremus without any worry, then Artimenner (Jeremus will comment but since you already sent him out and can only send him once, there's nothing to worry about) then Ymira, and get as much RtR as you can manage~
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 12:30:26 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3826 on: November 15, 2014, 09:28:15 am »

Downloaded Middle Europe :D and wondering what does RCM mod change?

RCM generally make axes piercing damage, arrows do +30ish and bows do 5ish cutting damage. Spears are changed to cutting damage on a thrust and very low bash on a swing unless the spearhead is long enough to justify cutting damage. It increases the damage on almost all the weapons, and increases armor to offset this. Shields are changed a bit so anti shield weapons are more effective against them. Throwing weapons have more arc, especially throwing axes. However you can oneshot unarmored horses with them if you hit them in the head and they break shields pretty well. Big or otherwise heavy weapons swing slower.

Generally it makes unarmored units much much weaker as they can easily die in one hit. Spears are a little weaker due to losing the piercing damage. Axes are much stronger due to having gained piercing damage but swing a little slower. Troops die faster in RCM. Bows are both stronger vs unarmored troops and weaker vs heavy armor. Crossbows are stronger all around if they are present in the setting. Firearms if present do a ton of damage and I think go through shields or at least instantly destroy them or something.

In addition it makes horses much faster to accelerate and with a higher top speed, possibly turn faster too, I can't remember. Unarmored horses are also very easy to bring down compared to vanilla, especially with large weapons. Armored horses are much more dangerous, doing a lot of charge damage.

I would recommend RCM in any mod that has the option. I have yet to find one that doesn't benefit from it, in my opinion.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 09:33:35 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3827 on: November 16, 2014, 12:44:24 pm »

Will try to find RCM, and for now: native, my aspiring horse archer (lvl 5, pretty much starting gear) vs. 8 sea raiders.

30 arrows in the bag. First 3-4 do zilch, then I remember to shoot at their legs. Take out 6 out of 8, but am down to 2 arrows.
Imagine this. Me on a hill, waiting for them to climb closer, closer, closer... shoot! One man down. I shoot at the other, but he's still standing. 0 arrows. I draw my sword...

Let's just say I spent 15 minutes riding circles around that last one. Argh. Is there a pause function during battles?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3828 on: November 16, 2014, 01:19:24 pm »

Escape pauses the game, I think? Opens the options menu.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3829 on: November 16, 2014, 01:43:40 pm »

Yeah, it should. Also, if you have cheats on, Ctrl+(IIRC) F4 gives your char over to the AI, but that keeps action happening, and the AI is dumb.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3830 on: November 16, 2014, 01:45:21 pm »

Yeah, it should. Also, if you have cheats on, Ctrl+(IIRC) F4 gives your char over to the AI, but that keeps action happening, and the AI is dumb.

Doing that is more of a nerf than a cheat really. In almost all circumstances you'll be better than the AI, since the AI only gives noscopeheadshot skills to enemy AI (In the case of 1866 mod).

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3831 on: November 16, 2014, 01:50:56 pm »

Doing that is more of a nerf than a cheat really. In almost all circumstances you'll be better than the AI, since the AI only gives noscopeheadshot skills to enemy AI (In the case of 1866 mod).

And even on that front, a good player may be better than AI - for example The Red Wars mod has sniper rifles that hit with pinpoint accuracy and usually for 1HKs, but you need to account for bullet drop - and on long distances, the AI cuts off any attempts to aim, so if you can learn how to eyeball distances, you can rain death from further away than the AI.

Honestly, default M&B's combat AI is, literally, LOCATE CLOSEST ENEMY->MOVE IN RANGE->KILL ENEMY->REPEAT. As in, that's going by the devs' own words.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3832 on: November 16, 2014, 03:58:10 pm »

While i'm not trying to bring law to the outlaws in the 1866 wild west :D , i've been trying the Expanded Gameplay III mod that i remembered hearing about a few years ago.

My first few contacts , out of noticing the world map having a different texture, seems to hint at it being a more brutal version of Native, i upgraded my swadian recruits into swadian militia and i see they're all in heavy armor and have difficulty to run due to how heavy they are, i can't imagine what the higher end troops are .

At the start, you have choice between various kind of character instead of just your starting background leading only to a +1 to a skill or two, i went with an Old Knight and i had the guy in heavy armor with good stats (and he can't run, too old for that and too heavy armor)

Something that intrigued me is a message ingame telling me that past level 7 my character can actually die, leading to a game over, hmm, that's going to change a lot of my habit.
But in the same time, more brutal gameplay is balanced by you being more brutally strong (i even noticed some weapon requiring more than 30 strength so i guess stats are probably going high faster).

So far it's fun, more fun than Native for sure, as after years of Warband i've been too used to it, and M&B1 Native is really pale in comparison to the Warband one (the real interest of M&B1 when you played Warband is in the mods , ah that 1866 such an amazing M&B1 mod without equal in Warband)
I'm sure there are more things to discover, as i just made contact i'm unsure what's going on out of destroying things, anyone have some experience with that mod ?

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Not the weirdest on Bay12!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3833 on: November 16, 2014, 07:50:01 pm »

The sad truth is the AI is actually better than me at melee.
10/10.
Wants to rape and enslave my innocent night faeries ;-;

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
  • The not quite as great as Toady or Three toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3834 on: November 16, 2014, 09:34:21 pm »

So, git M&B from GoG.

Now, I'm in a bit of a rage inducing situation. See, I'm with Swadia, and I want a castle. Now, I HAVE gotten castles, but I can't hold it.

Swadia has been at war with the Khergits for ages. I have gotten various castles, but when I do, it is guaranteed that the Khergits will come (with 1000 horsemen in tow) and take it in about a day.

Now the biggest issue. I am essentially the only effective lord in the kingdom, as most lords are either busy patrolling their turf endlessly, while the others are scattered everywhere  making small attacks and getting captured.

What do B12? What do?

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3835 on: November 16, 2014, 09:55:46 pm »

Will try to find RCM, and for now: native, my aspiring horse archer (lvl 5, pretty much starting gear) vs. 8 sea raiders.

30 arrows in the bag. First 3-4 do zilch, then I remember to shoot at their legs. Take out 6 out of 8, but am down to 2 arrows.
Imagine this. Me on a hill, waiting for them to climb closer, closer, closer... shoot! One man down. I shoot at the other, but he's still standing. 0 arrows. I draw my sword...

Let's just say I spent 15 minutes riding circles around that last one. Argh. Is there a pause function during battles?
If you go back to your starting location, there is a chest there that lets you swap out weapons. A secondary bonus of this is that you get a full reload of ammo and throwables.

Edit: Mog, I THINK you can station troops at the castle. It's been a while since I've gotten anywhere in that though, so don't quote me on this.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 09:58:36 pm by beorn080 »
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3836 on: November 16, 2014, 09:59:47 pm »

Edit: Mog, I THINK you can station troops at the castle. It's been a while since I've gotten anywhere in that though, so don't quote me on this.

I can station troops, but that won't help against 1000+ horsemen
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 10:05:33 pm by moghopper »

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3837 on: November 16, 2014, 10:06:05 pm »

So, git M&B from GoG.

Now, I'm in a bit of a rage inducing situation. See, I'm with Swadia, and I want a castle. Now, I HAVE gotten castles, but I can't hold it.

Swadia has been at war with the Khergits for ages. I have gotten various castles, but when I do, it is guaranteed that the Khergits will come (with 1000 horsemen in tow) and take it in about a day.

Now the biggest issue. I am essentially the only effective lord in the kingdom, as most lords are either busy patrolling their turf endlessly, while the others are scattered everywhere  making small attacks and getting captured.

What do B12? What do?

Depending on the castle, some of them can be cheesed by doing things like ordering ranged units off the walls and into the courtyard for a shooting gallery. Since you're fighting against Khergits, who are the weakest in sieges, that should work well. If you have like, 60 of those garbage tier swadian crossbowmen (the ones who wear pajamas and come with wooden clubs), you can probably hold out against 1000 Khergits, since massed crossbows should be better than their trickle of archers coming up to the walls.

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3838 on: November 16, 2014, 10:11:31 pm »

Depending on the castle, some of them can be cheesed by doing things like ordering ranged units off the walls and into the courtyard for a shooting gallery. Since you're fighting against Khergits, who are the weakest in sieges, that should work well. If you have like, 60 of those garbage tier swadian crossbowmen (the ones who wear pajamas and come with wooden clubs), you can probably hold out against 1000 Khergits, since massed crossbows should be better than their trickle of archers coming up to the walls.

Castles: Almerra, Unuzdaq, and Tevarin

Unuzdag (Currently sieged) does not do walls.

Maybe try for the others...

Edit: oh, I have maybe 30 archers. But 20 some top tier infantry and lots of mid tier.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 10:13:04 pm by moghopper »

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3839 on: November 16, 2014, 10:39:36 pm »

So, git M&B from GoG.

What do B12? What do?

Yep, IIRC Khergits are the worst sieging faction, defensively and offensively. Defend the siege personally with some crossbowman, shove your top tier at ladder or siege tower chokes, and it's open season.
Pages: 1 ... 254 255 [256] 257 258 ... 310