Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 [248] 249 250 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 655653 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #3705 on: October 03, 2014, 10:43:05 am »

I wouldn't say infantry battle is more interesting, just that cavalry combat is easy to simplify. You CAN do charge attacks all game, OR you can lead your lancer calvary in directional charges or disrupt archers as your shieldless units run in. And fighting with nothing but charge attacks is inefficient. I end up moving slowly with lots of sharp turns at times.

I find the AI a bit too clunky to not commit mass assisted suicide unless I hold their hand, but yeah, I actually DO use some cav to ruin enemy rangers' day, but the bulk of my fighting force, along with myself, is on foot.

You could also edit the text files if you wanna be extra cheaty. Sometimes what I would do was add up all the skill points I got on character creation and redistributed them into skills that I actually wanted.
And if you want to see the definition of hilarity, edit the text files to give yourself 1000 agility and strength. Instant demigod, just add zeros.

Be careful though, if you go too far over the top, !!FUN!! will happen to your game.

Just a ridiculously high-level but within the game's bounds (i.e. lvl 10 Power Strike, Ironflesh, Athletics, and weapons skills to match) is hilarious - I went all barbarian hero to release my frustration at the game shitting me once - as in, classic style, zero armor at all and a two-hander, and I could easily punch people to death.

Speaking of, does anybody else feel like vanilla punching is too weak?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3706 on: October 03, 2014, 10:56:15 am »

I always converge towards mounted archery + 2hander no matter what.
I find it too hard to coordinate the troops from the ground. Cavalry AI will just charge at their infantry from the front and get charged from the flank and arrowed to death if you don't guide them to the right direction.  That and it's far easier not getting mauled/shot to death when issuing orders if you're mounted.
A shame, since I always wanted to make a heavy infantry and ground sharpshooter characters.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3707 on: October 03, 2014, 11:13:40 am »

I find it too hard to coordinate the troops from the ground. Cavalry AI will just charge at their infantry from the front and get charged from the flank and arrowed to death if you don't guide them to the right direction.  That and it's far easier not getting mauled/shot to death when issuing orders if you're mounted.
A shame, since I always wanted to make a heavy infantry and ground sharpshooter characters.

If you're getting mauled or shot while on foot, then clearly your shieldwall is not thick enough :D

Also, the Backspace map.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3708 on: October 03, 2014, 11:17:46 am »

Shield wall?

Hah!

How's about crossbow/rifle wall?

Those are fun :3

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3709 on: October 03, 2014, 11:39:10 am »

I found that archers on a hill with infantry in front is a good strategy for nearly every battle. Enemy is slow going up hill and peppered by shoots all the way.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3710 on: October 03, 2014, 11:56:00 am »

If you're getting mauled or shot while on foot, then clearly your shieldwall is not thick enough :D

Also, the Backspace map.
Biggest problem was safely disengaging to give orders when the shield walls had collided already. Maybe I'll invest more in athletics and assign a small unit of bodyguards next time I get into M&B.
The Backspace map is better than nothing, but it still feels a bit underwhelming. It doesn't show any topological information and you have to keep issuing goto -> charge orders to the cavalry else they engage stupid AI mode or just stand sitting there.
Some kind of battle planning screen where you could manage formations, adjust some cavalry manuevers and get(limited) information on the battlefield terrain, that would be ideal.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 12:04:58 pm by Uristides »

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3711 on: October 03, 2014, 12:40:24 pm »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3712 on: October 03, 2014, 12:56:43 pm »

Ok my game just did something scary.

The 200+ garrison of high tier troops in my city were replaced by about 35 levy/citizens..... wtf. I've never had this happen before and I just lost what, tens of thousands of denars?

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3713 on: October 03, 2014, 01:09:15 pm »

There's a mod for that!
Oh, I think Sword of Damocles had that. My latest campaigns were in vanilla and I had no idea that was available as standalone too. Thanks for the tip.

JuanCarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3714 on: October 03, 2014, 03:58:47 pm »

I found that archers on a hill with infantry in front is a good strategy for nearly every battle. Enemy is slow going up hill and peppered by shoots all the way.

Hang on, can you organise that? Have I been stupidly just running into every battle with no strategy whatsoever (which is fun!!)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3715 on: October 03, 2014, 04:15:23 pm »

Not pre-battle (but you can with some mods) but you just have to find a hill once you're in battle, position your infantry and archers on the top, and tell your infantry to advance once. They'll advanced towards the enemy position.

Especially if it's a lord/large battle, the enemy won't charge at you, so you have even more time to set it up.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3716 on: October 03, 2014, 04:48:18 pm »

I'm glad Freelancer was discussed here, because I'm really enjoying it.  Signed up with King Yaroglek who pretty much only fought with 2-1 odds or better, and just practiced my archery on live targets.  None of the hassle of raising troops or finding enemies, just pay and loot and killing.  I even kept a little diary of my character's thoughts on the trail (lots of inaccurate speculation about the state of the campaign, and some rationalization about burning villages).  The kingdom's entirely at peace now, but the paycheck isn't good enough to sit around stomping bandits.  It does feel cool to be an elite trooper, though.  Even if the Vaegir Marksman equipment isn't particularly amazing (though it's a lot better than what I had).

Only problem is that I don't think *any* of that gave me renown.  Several points of relation with a lot of lords, especially the King, but no renown.  So now I'm slaughtering bandits with my companions for renown while doing village quests.  Low point: getting captured by 2 archers after a very close battle.  At least I escaped later the same day.

All the hazard-pay and loot for winning battles let me easily set up industries in three cities, which is nice steady income.  Safer than carrying it around with me, since I'm not reloading on losses.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3717 on: October 03, 2014, 05:56:15 pm »

I have generally a quite small army with mostly cavalry, because there are stronger in battle (anyway, I do 90% of the kills) and because I can move much much quicker on the map, to more than 7 or even 8, which is a real asset sometimes.

I don't use spear because if you are stopped you are done. I always use large 2 handed swords and dismount sometimes to "finish" the enemy.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3718 on: October 03, 2014, 08:30:57 pm »

Hehe I love the glitches in this game.  Glad there aren't as many as there used to be, though.

I asked this guy about marriage and he said it sounded great but he'd have to think about it.  That was a whole, like, two weeks ago!  So indecisive.  And yeah maybe in the meantime I joined the Nords as a merc - which is a little weird because we met while storming a Nord castle - but it's cool, Nordway and Vaegiria are at peace for now.  I was only helping them against Swadiland.

I think I might stalk him join his army soon, because PCs get to be as crazy as we want.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3719 on: October 04, 2014, 12:19:59 pm »

Shield wall?

Hah!

How's about crossbow/rifle wall?

Those are fun :3

Or you could get Rhodok Sharpshooters, and have them do whichever you want based on whether they're holding fire or not.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 [248] 249 250 ... 310