Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 655639 times)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #3690 on: October 02, 2014, 03:11:35 pm »

If you are new, I would recommend getting a horse, a bow and arrows (or throwing weapons, but I personally prefer a bow and arrows for that Khergit Mongolian feel), and a proper polearm, like a lance.

Then go to swadia and kill forest bandits (They don't have any ranged weapons and are therefore easy-peasy). Sell their loot and stuff for better equipment, gain levels, and when you are feeling strong enough (should be around level 10 or so, and should have decent armor, a decent horse and decent weaponry) go kill some sea raiders. Repeat. Meanwhile you can also go assemble companions.

But really the start of the game is obnoxious, it's grind and more grind for getting levels/equipment/money/money-making processes. If I were you I would cheat so the grind is less long and less painful.

And cavalry kills everything, as it should be. Unless you are on mountain maps or are facing Rhodoks.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 03:14:06 pm by Naryar »

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3691 on: October 02, 2014, 03:46:53 pm »

Another option: name a character 'Grindy McGrindington'. Grind up, export character. Now every time you create a new char, just rename him to that, import, rename to whatever you want, you have a leveled up character and, unless you buy ERRYTHING on Grindy, as much cash as you want to start with.

Does not work on mods which trigger things on char levels, but those are rare.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3692 on: October 02, 2014, 03:51:23 pm »

You could also edit the text files if you wanna be extra cheaty. Sometimes what I would do was add up all the skill points I got on character creation and redistributed them into skills that I actually wanted.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3693 on: October 02, 2014, 05:01:45 pm »

I use tje mbtweak thung to make actions give twice the renown and honor to speed things up.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3694 on: October 02, 2014, 05:23:49 pm »

I never got lances. Sure, they do a ton of damage, but it's all at once. You hit and kill a guy, but now you have to turn the horse around, and wait for the cooldown before hitting another guy. In that time, I could of easily killed 5 or so lower level enemies or another powerful soldier/lord, with a good sword.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3695 on: October 02, 2014, 05:25:56 pm »

Lances are best when not couched, someone recommended that I try it a while back and I've not gone back to slashing on horse back ever since.

It's quite useful in multiplayer as well for the extra reach over couching, and being able to look direcfly where you're striking allows for a lot more precision.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3696 on: October 02, 2014, 10:19:47 pm »

I never got lances. Sure, they do a ton of damage, but it's all at once. You hit and kill a guy, but now you have to turn the horse around, and wait for the cooldown before hitting another guy. In that time, I could of easily killed 5 or so lower level enemies or another powerful soldier/lord, with a good sword.

I prefer maces/morningstars, but yeah.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #3697 on: October 02, 2014, 10:57:26 pm »

forest bandits (They don't have any ranged weapons and are therefore easy-peasy)
What forest bandits are these? All of the forest bandits I ever see have zillions of arrows that they fire constantly.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3698 on: October 03, 2014, 01:47:34 am »

I usually play as a horse rider with a sword (the longer the better). shield, bow, and arrow. Once you get high enough in horse archery and riding you can defeat absurd numbers of enemies. Arrow to death the horses or riders of any cavalry that are threatening to you, kill the other less threatening horses with your sword, circle horde of now horseless enemy units until they run out of ranged weapons, begin closing in while circling until you see an opportunity to strike one of them, continue until all are dead.

I usually keep extra arrows and a spear/lance (again, the longer the better) in my inventory to switch out if needed. I'm betting I've killed at least 100 guys in one battle like this.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3699 on: October 03, 2014, 02:12:33 am »

Personally I try to roleplay with my faction. Although bow + two handed weapon is by far the best setup at late game.

Swadian, go full lance-knight. Bastard sword and shield as secondaries.
Nords, axe and board with optional throwing. Unmounted or mounted.
Rhodoks, unmounted tin can with optional crossbow. Usually using polearms or hammers.
Vaegirs, usually full archer. Mostly unmounted.
Sarranids, mounted with blunt weapons. Try to capture as many slaves as possible.
Khergits, horse archer/lancer.

So far my favourite "exotic" build is mounted throwing weapons (three throwing weapons, 1 two-hander). While you don't have much lasting power since throwing ammo is fairly small you still do a ridiculous amount of damage. It's great for getting up close and taking out strong targets, like lords, before they reach your main force.
I find it seems most suited to a female nord playthrough.

Usually the early game (if I choose to not skip it) will involve a lot of grinding looters/bandits while mounted with a hunting crossbow. Although any ranged weapons will suffice.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3700 on: October 03, 2014, 04:43:44 am »

I usually play as a horse rider with a sword (the longer the better). shield, bow, and arrow. Once you get high enough in horse archery and riding you can defeat absurd numbers of enemies. Arrow to death the horses or riders of any cavalry that are threatening to you, kill the other less threatening horses with your sword, circle horde of now horseless enemy units until they run out of ranged weapons, begin closing in while circling until you see an opportunity to strike one of them, continue until all are dead.

I usually keep extra arrows and a spear/lance (again, the longer the better) in my inventory to switch out if needed. I'm betting I've killed at least 100 guys in one battle like this.

I do the same, with the same effect.
Sword/Arrows/Horse is unbeatable.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3701 on: October 03, 2014, 05:18:54 am »

I've found infantry play much more interesting and enjoyable - going mounted is just endless CHAERG-ATTACK-circle back-repeat, whereas fighting on foot with infantry it much more tactics-heavy, and more rewarding at that - if you play your cards well, you can easily beat larger armies with very few losses.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3702 on: October 03, 2014, 10:11:46 am »

I wouldn't say infantry battle is more interesting, just that cavalry combat is easy to simplify. You CAN do charge attacks all game, OR you can lead your lancer calvary in directional charges or disrupt archers as your shieldless units run in. And fighting with nothing but charge attacks is inefficient. I end up moving slowly with lots of sharp turns at times.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3703 on: October 03, 2014, 10:26:10 am »

I wouldn't say infantry battle is more interesting, just that cavalry combat is easy to simplify. You CAN do charge attacks all game, OR you can lead your lancer calvary in directional charges or disrupt archers as your shieldless units run in. And fighting with nothing but charge attacks is inefficient. I end up moving slowly with lots of sharp turns at times.

Oddly enough my calvalry games seem to... go somewhat the same.

I waste the enemy's ammo... then charge.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3704 on: October 03, 2014, 10:27:09 am »

You could also edit the text files if you wanna be extra cheaty. Sometimes what I would do was add up all the skill points I got on character creation and redistributed them into skills that I actually wanted.
And if you want to see the definition of hilarity, edit the text files to give yourself 1000 agility and strength. Instant demigod, just add zeros.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 310