Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 655598 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #3675 on: September 30, 2014, 10:29:43 am »

Meanwhile....

Umm, what is going on?

(Now I remember how bad the text spam could be filling up the screen, hopefully M&B2 fixes that.)

You can disable those in Options.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3676 on: September 30, 2014, 10:34:13 am »

Yes, but I mean have it not take up so much space, it almost goes out to the center of the screen at times.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3677 on: September 30, 2014, 11:24:18 am »

Does your character wear sunglasses?

8)
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

FireCrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3678 on: September 30, 2014, 08:43:48 pm »

Yes, he does.  8)

Welcome to the M&B The Naruto mod, where everyone are ridiculously op ninjas with 30+ agility stats, 10 acrobatics, and where everyone spams jutsus (magic spells), you can jump on trees and shit, and the best of all you can walk on water. And for some reason, the imperial army from the last samurai takes a visit.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-naruto-mod

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You think the text spam is that bad? When I increase battle limit to 5 times the normal limit it gets so bad the text starts to cut itself off and for minutes you can't see what's going on at all.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3679 on: September 30, 2014, 08:44:48 pm »

That sounds terrible.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #3680 on: October 01, 2014, 02:39:21 am »

That looks like the best kind of wrongfun.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3681 on: October 01, 2014, 06:43:50 pm »

Spoiler: Dale at Minas Morgul (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dale at Osgiliath (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Success! (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Gondor Selfies (click to show/hide)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3682 on: October 01, 2014, 11:51:40 pm »

I used to love this game, but the enemies swing through each other to hit me.  I feel like it didn't do that at first, but no matter...  It makes melee combat against a group maddening.  3+ people can be swinging at the same time, with different attack types, so blocking is literally impossible.  And if I swing, one of them probably blocks me!

It's even happening in the freakin arena, where they're theoretically each others' enemies.  What gives?  Is there a way to fix this?

Failing that, any tips for Vanilla?  I'm going with a strength build this time since party size seems to be based mostly on renown instead of Leadership.  I haven't played in a while, but it seemed like the other lords always had much larger parties than I even at level 15-20.

I vaguely remember being in full high-quality plate with a massive mace, and wrecking face through all the blocks (particularly in sieges).  Maybe I just need a good block-smashing weapon to deal with hordes...

Horse combat has always seemed time-consuming and finicky.  Looking directly at the enemy seems to make me swing way low.  I'd rather snipe with a bow, then engage the rest with a mace.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3683 on: October 02, 2014, 12:01:37 am »

The enemy AI has to cheat in order for it to be challenging, but it becomes unfair as you said with them being able to swing through each other to hit you (I believe some mods fixed that but it's still not ideal and I don't know which mods). Enemy lords also get a multiplier to how many troops they can have, and kings/leaders get the highest multiplier, which is why they have such huge armies. There was a way to fix it but it involves editing a text file full of gibberish and I forget how to do it.

If you want advice on vanilla, I'd say get the Diplomacy mod. It adds some things to vanilla while keeping it... well, pretty vanilla.

Horse combat is weird but you'll get the hang of it, you may tend to look further down than you need to which will make you swing downwards, but if you keep the camera only slightly below the horizon you'll swing further out. Having a ranged weapon is useful, because you don't want to have to try chasing down horse archers for an hour. You can replenish ammo at your bag where you spawned just by opening and closing it, except in sieges.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3684 on: October 02, 2014, 12:06:53 am »

The enemy AI has to cheat in order for it to be challenging, but it becomes unfair as you said with them being able to swing through each other to hit you (I believe some mods fixed that but it's still not ideal and I don't know which mods).

1257 AD. Fixes that, but is nothing like vanilla. It also adds the Diplomacy mod too, but again, it's a pretty different experience from vanilla. I honestly can't play anything but that anymore. And sometimes Brytanwalda. It's been years since I've played native.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3685 on: October 02, 2014, 04:19:08 am »

The arena actually is not a true ffa, it assigns them to, I think, four teams, so some fighters are secretly friendly to each other.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3686 on: October 02, 2014, 04:51:52 am »

I used to love this game, but the enemies swing through each other to hit me.  I feel like it didn't do that at first, but no matter...

There are a few ways they can swing through each other (and these are ways you could swing through your allies as well). The first is the overhead slash, if the character is just a tiny bit further behind the friendly in front, his overhead slash will go through his pal, and so can yours. The second way is simply people slashing through the corpses of the recently slain. Timing and observing the person behind the one you're attacking to make sure you're not going to be hit after you kill the guy in front of you and his corpse turns incorporeal is vital to mods like Nord Invasion where going up against numerically AI by often by your lonesome is central.

It makes melee combat against a group maddening.  3+ people can be swinging at the same time, with different attack types, so blocking is literally impossible.  And if I swing, one of them probably blocks me!

That's just the game is designed to work mainly. Going up against 3 dudes all at once is a very hard thing to do when they're equal in skill to you, and even more so when they're just better in terns of equipment and stats. The character the player controls is mostly the same as the the ones he's fighting against, so you're all on more or less equal footing than other games like Dynasty Warriors and makes ganging up on powerful people immensely effective.

All I could say to combat these situations is to combat these situations and make sure it doesn't happen in the first place. Maneuvering you opponents into a rough line will help immensely even if two of the at the front can slash at you. Keeping an eye for your surroundings is also vital to make sure you're not ganged up on from random sides.

As for blocking their attacks, it is possible, you just need a shield. The left sided slash is one of the fastest and most easily connectable attacks, so they're generally useful in these situation as well. Also keep in mind that side slashes don't travel through living enemies, sometimes you don't have to worry about an opponent for a little while when he lines up a bad slashing in a scrum like that.

Failing that, any tips for Vanilla?  I'm going with a strength build this time since party size seems to be based mostly on renown instead of Leadership.  I haven't played in a while, but it seemed like the other lords always had much larger parties than I even at level 15-20.

Party size is also dependent on the title you hold, with being a lord, marshal, and king boosting your maximum party size. Leadership is more important for the reduction of troop costs more than anything, charisma is not a stat that has many other advantages other than the two skills it feeds. As for strength, it generally in itself doesn't pay that much past 12 or 15 strength. Agility and intelligence will pay far more handsomely latter as well as being generally quite good for the agility stat. Being able to backpedal faster than your enemies can run forward is an immensely powerful advantage if you're into hand to hand fighting.

I vaguely remember being in full high-quality plate with a massive mace, and wrecking face through all the blocks (particularly in sieges).  Maybe I just need a good block-smashing weapon to deal with hordes...

Your best bet with dealing with hordes is to out maneuver them, either on foot or on horse, preferably on horse since you can't predict whether the horse is mounted or not. Crush through is generally unreliable, relegated to the overhead swing animation, as well as only being available on the slowest shortest weapons. It's great for troops that will die anyway as it assures that they will get kills before they die, but it's generally not very useful for someone intending to live until the end of battle.

Horse combat has always seemed time-consuming and finicky.  Looking directly at the enemy seems to make me swing way low.  I'd rather snipe with a bow, then engage the rest with a mace.

It takes time to get used to, but it pays a lot of dividends once you reach proficiency especially when you master poking with a lance. It however takes good ol' practice and is not something that can be covered up with stats. Generally try to take note about just what it is you're doing wrong specifically and try to shoot in the other direction. If you're over-slashing a lot, try under-slashing instead of fine tuning from an end that isn't improving.

For me I don't look at the foot troops I'm slashing at directly, and that might be an issue for you. You also don't need to look at the troops you're fighting on foot either if you want your slashing to connect faster! Slashing on horse back depends a lot more on your kinetic sense of where your weapon is rather than on your visual sense.

Other than that, some people tell me that they learn a lot from seeing people who do know how to do it fight. It might help to look at youtube videos of someone who knows how to fight on horseback well in the game and demonstrate it. Likewise, in PvE mods like Nord Invasion, and Full Invasion there are masters of bot slaying that play on those servers that you can learn a lot from.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 05:01:15 am by Flare »

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3687 on: October 02, 2014, 04:54:51 am »

so personally i am playing floris mod, with some modifications, mostly xp gaining rate so my companions and myself doesn't suck.

Made some sort of heavy knight/horse archer build, I think it's the funniest. A lance, a two handed weapon, armored horse and heavy armor on myself and a bow.

Floris archery is a bitch though.

War elephants are awesome against infantry though. Except they sound like horses, but it's somewhat part of the fun.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3688 on: October 02, 2014, 09:51:02 am »

I used to love this game, but the enemies swing through each other to hit me.  I feel like it didn't do that at first, but no matter...

There are a few ways they can swing through each other (and these are ways you could swing through your allies as well). The first is the overhead slash, if the character is just a tiny bit further behind the friendly in front, his overhead slash will go through his pal, and so can yours. The second way is simply people slashing through the corpses of the recently slain. Timing and observing the person behind the one you're attacking to make sure you're not going to be hit after you kill the guy in front of you and his corpse turns incorporeal is vital to mods like Nord Invasion where going up against numerically AI by often by your lonesome is central.

It makes melee combat against a group maddening.  3+ people can be swinging at the same time, with different attack types, so blocking is literally impossible.  And if I swing, one of them probably blocks me!

That's just the game is designed to work mainly. Going up against 3 dudes all at once is a very hard thing to do when they're equal in skill to you, and even more so when they're just better in terns of equipment and stats. The character the player controls is mostly the same as the the ones he's fighting against, so you're all on more or less equal footing than other games like Dynasty Warriors and makes ganging up on powerful people immensely effective.

All I could say to combat these situations is to combat these situations and make sure it doesn't happen in the first place. Maneuvering you opponents into a rough line will help immensely even if two of the at the front can slash at you. Keeping an eye for your surroundings is also vital to make sure you're not ganged up on from random sides.

As for blocking their attacks, it is possible, you just need a shield. The left sided slash is one of the fastest and most easily connectable attacks, so they're generally useful in these situation as well. Also keep in mind that side slashes don't travel through living enemies, sometimes you don't have to worry about an opponent for a little while when he lines up a bad slashing in a scrum like that.
Wow, thanks for all this good advice!  It rings true.  People a few dozen pages back were talking about the player becoming an unstoppable melee behemoth in Vanilla, and I was wondering if I was doing something wrong.  Getting some non-bandit armor and some levels might help with that!  I've managed to clear a couple of arena fights though, so I think I just need more agility and horsemanship player-skill to survive in actual battles.

It just seems so slow to gain renown unless you're greatly outnumbered.  Which will be less of a problem once I have proper upgraded troops rather than all these basic recruits.

Party size is also dependent on the title you hold, with being a lord, marshal, and king boosting your maximum party size. Leadership is more important for the reduction of troop costs more than anything, charisma is not a stat that has many other advantages other than the two skills it feeds. As for strength, it generally in itself doesn't pay that much past 12 or 15 strength. Agility and intelligence will pay far more handsomely latter as well as being generally quite good for the agility stat. Being able to backpedal faster than your enemies can run forward is an immensely powerful advantage if you're into hand to hand fighting.

The wiki (for what it's worth) claims that titles only grant a bonus to NPCs.  Another way the AI cheats :P  I'll probably cheat for party size myself when it becomes a problem.  I have to scavenge the recruits, train them, and pay for them (unlike the AI lords) so I shouldn't have to also make do with less.

The real reason being that I'm not very good at the game, heh.  Maybe that will change before I feel the need to cheat!

Your best bet with dealing with hordes is to out maneuver them, either on foot or on horse, preferably on horse since you can't predict whether the horse is mounted or not. Crush through is generally unreliable, relegated to the overhead swing animation, as well as only being available on the slowest shortest weapons. It's great for troops that will die anyway as it assures that they will get kills before they die, but it's generally not very useful for someone intending to live until the end of battle.

It takes time to get used to, but it pays a lot of dividends once you reach proficiency especially when you master poking with a lance. It however takes good ol' practice and is not something that can be covered up with stats. Generally try to take note about just what it is you're doing wrong specifically and try to shoot in the other direction. If you're over-slashing a lot, try under-slashing instead of fine tuning from an end that isn't improving.

For me I don't look at the foot troops I'm slashing at directly, and that might be an issue for you. You also don't need to look at the troops you're fighting on foot either if you want your slashing to connect faster! Slashing on horse back depends a lot more on your kinetic sense of where your weapon is rather than on your visual sense.

Other than that, some people tell me that they learn a lot from seeing people who do know how to do it fight. It might help to look at youtube videos of someone who knows how to fight on horseback well in the game and demonstrate it. Likewise, in PvE mods like Nord Invasion, and Full Invasion there are masters of bot slaying that play on those servers that you can learn a lot from.

Yeah I'm having a lot more luck looking at the horizon.  It's a bit tricky, but it feels like I'll get used to it.

Thanks again, I'll be referring to this as I play!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3689 on: October 02, 2014, 10:18:50 am »

Oh, and if you are forced to turtle in the corner behind your shield, if you have any chance of rescue, kick. It's a very quick attack with about as much damage as a punch, but nice kickback (duh). And it's fun to use when attacking walls, too.
Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 ... 310