Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 242 243 [244] 245 246 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 655643 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #3645 on: September 28, 2014, 04:29:36 am »

There is one major problem with having the horse as a more sophisticated AI - you're adding several hundred more processes for each battle, one for each mounted unit, and you need to make the AI more complex to take in account the horse/rider AIs interacting.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3646 on: September 28, 2014, 06:12:54 am »

I think overall I would prefer the horse to remain more of a vehicle rather than a smart entity. While it is less realistic, I don't want to have to wrestle with movement controls on top of having to move the mouse for swinging a sword. I do find it annoying in "Mount and Blade" how the horses rear up every time you bump into something at more than a trot. Back up, turn and pick up speed again.

Or maybe that last bits more how often it happens with small objects like rocks which the horse should be able to step over or around.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3647 on: September 28, 2014, 06:14:17 am »

Well you see horses are actually motorcycles enchanted into the form of horses.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3648 on: September 28, 2014, 08:45:04 am »

Had some fun with crpg in the very early steps of the mod, where "riding around naked on a massive horse" was a premier tactic for victory and skill was more important then "skill-stats", which changed overtime. Now its mostly dead because it has to few new people and the "play for 50 hours, retire, repeat" people have a insane advantage. Still alright if you get into a clan/group, as I did, but otherwise its a grind.

Old CRPG: 1 guy from team 1 left - he gets to duel the 5 guys left from team2 in a nice and honorful manner
Crpg now: flame, cry, rage, backstab, as many powerstack builds as possible.

I also miss all the special builds that you could do to stand out - rock-thrower-focus guy or what I did - light horse, big warhammer, dat sweet massive blunt damage to kill tin-cans.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #3649 on: September 28, 2014, 03:01:01 pm »

That explains everything!
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3650 on: September 28, 2014, 08:33:06 pm »

That explains everything!
It mostly explains War of the Roses. M&B horses are much... stranger to control, but at least it feels a more natural/"realistic" than WOTR. I've never played Red Dead Redemption so I can't honestly say I've seen a game do horses well, they either control a bit like a fast tank with Resident Evil controls (M&B) or they control as if you were walkingaroundonfootreallyreallyfast (Elder Scrolls).

That reminds me, one of the weirdest things in M&B Multiplayer was how you could use the 'view outfit' button as a free look key similar to OFP/ARMA. I'm hoping that, at least in multiplayer, they make it so that the character's head and upper body turn towards where the camera is looking when using the 'free look' as you could do some weird cheap stuff to people who think they're sneaking up on you without that sort of functionality.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #3651 on: September 28, 2014, 10:49:44 pm »

I really like that for killing horsemen though.  Fuckers think they're sneaky, riding up behind you with their lances and shit.

Maybe if they implement bracing spears?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 10:52:51 pm by Farce »

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3652 on: September 28, 2014, 11:09:57 pm »

Bracing spears would be nice, the way they work now is pretty damn silly. As a polearms user in cRPG I usually used the pike (later renamed the "long spear" with the introduction of an even longer pike) and stopping cavalry with it was... silly. You could jump all over the place and as long as the tip of your spear touches the front of the horse it just stops completely, regardless of damage. Same goes for any polearm with 'reach' of 140 or more. One of my fondest memories was a gimmick Strategus battle with knights on plated chargers and full black plate armor versus a horde of peasants. I grabbed the pitchfork (or whatever horse-stopping polearm was available) and poked charging knights, which were then swarmed and surrounded by a bunch of peasants with clubs and murdered. Great fun, but very silly.

I hope the implement more moving options in general. Climbing things (ladders perhaps? Ledges?), crouching (already modded in Warband), sprinting (it was already there, just in a weird way). playing game so cutting this short

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3653 on: September 29, 2014, 05:04:22 am »

Mass and momentum would be nice, so you could get crushed by a charging warhorse while facing it with a spear, even if it gets killed in the progress. Ending up underneath a horse weighting a ton should really kill you.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3654 on: September 29, 2014, 05:17:21 am »

Now that's a question; I know there is trample damage in "Mount and Blade" but I've never looked into how it is calculated. I tend towards faster horses rather than armoured ones and I believe they tend to do much less trample damage but has anyone found it viable to rely on in combat? It's never really been more than about 5 points of damage in my experience.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3655 on: September 29, 2014, 05:31:06 am »

Horses have the listed charge bonus, but it is modified by speed like all damage. However, armor prevents it normally and its type is blunt. So yeah, trampling is quite neglible with vanilla values, while the proper warhorsies should be weapons in themselves.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3656 on: September 29, 2014, 06:06:07 am »

Bracing spears would be nice, the way they work now is pretty damn silly. As a polearms user in cRPG I usually used the pike (later renamed the "long spear" with the introduction of an even longer pike) and stopping cavalry with it was... silly. You could jump all over the place and as long as the tip of your spear touches the front of the horse it just stops completely, regardless of damage. Same goes for any polearm with 'reach' of 140 or more. One of my fondest memories was a gimmick Strategus battle with knights on plated chargers and full black plate armor versus a horde of peasants. I grabbed the pitchfork (or whatever horse-stopping polearm was available) and poked charging knights, which were then swarmed and surrounded by a bunch of peasants with clubs and murdered. Great fun, but very silly.

I hope the implement more moving options in general. Climbing things (ladders perhaps? Ledges?), crouching (already modded in Warband), sprinting (it was already there, just in a weird way). playing game so cutting this short

Even more oddly, crouching is not quite modded in, I believe, just enabled by the modders from the options that were already there, much like firearms.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Uristits

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3657 on: September 29, 2014, 04:12:31 pm »

Charge bonus is like the momentum of the horse. With a big horse you can run through several people, depending on their armor, while a saddle or courser can only go through about 1 direct and 1 glance horse attack, on those with minimal armor.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3658 on: September 29, 2014, 04:53:04 pm »

The real danger of charging (more commonly referred to as horse bumping) is that while being bumped you cannot block, so people can just 'bumpslash' you. It is incredibly cheesy. Being able to dive out of the way of a charging horse (and likely have to go through a 'getting up' animation) would be more preferable, and gives the player a choice: stand your ground and hope your armor can take the attack, or get out of the way and be vulnerable to other people nearby.

On that note, being able to block someone swinging an axe at you at full charge on horseback using a wooden stick is pretty cheesy, too.

Lances and pikes breaking would solve some of the problems, as you would only get the chance to couch lance people as long as it's not broken, and you can only stop plated chargers as long as your pike doesn't get splintered by the mass of a horse in armor at full speed.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3659 on: September 29, 2014, 06:05:14 pm »

The real danger of charging (more commonly referred to as horse bumping) is that while being bumped you cannot block, so people can just 'bumpslash' you. It is incredibly cheesy. Being able to dive out of the way of a charging horse (and likely have to go through a 'getting up' animation) would be more preferable, and gives the player a choice: stand your ground and hope your armor can take the attack, or get out of the way and be vulnerable to other people nearby.

On that note, being able to block someone swinging an axe at you at full charge on horseback using a wooden stick is pretty cheesy, too.

Lances and pikes breaking would solve some of the problems, as you would only get the chance to couch lance people as long as it's not broken, and you can only stop plated chargers as long as your pike doesn't get splintered by the mass of a horse in armor at full speed.

I'd be okay with this if they go by M&B logic and are repaired after the battle automatically. Losing your awesome lance in a single charge just makes it cumbersome to be stopping horses yourself or couching other people.
Pages: 1 ... 242 243 [244] 245 246 ... 310