Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 655819 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #3510 on: July 05, 2014, 02:47:07 pm »

Thanks, guys. Urge to purchase bundle: thwarted.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3511 on: July 05, 2014, 02:49:03 pm »

So I've got a question for all of you: should I get this game? It's part of a BundleStars bundle, and we all know I have a hard time resisting those, but I'm trying to limit myself to bundles containing mostly games that I will actually play.

The gameplay seems to be centered around combat. Is there more to the game than hacking at enemies from horseback? Is there a good story, or at least an interesting world to explore? Can I build a house and things like that? Basically, does it offer me anything I don't already get from Skyrim (and Morrowind)?

It's a different kind of game than Skyrim/Morrowind. Yes, it's pretty heavily centered around combat, albeit of a different sort. Think of it more like an RTS with a twist - that being the fact that you can yourself take part in the fight. While there is an RPG upgrade system, the actual firepower upgrade lies within recruiting and upgrading your troops.

There isn't a story at all, in fact! It's basically a sandbox in the more strict formulation of the term - you are thrown into a world, given a bunch of things you are able to do with it and told to basically do whatever you feel like.

There's no specific endgame goal (in an unmodded M&B and Warband, this is) unless you specifically choose to pursue one, for example becoming the ruler of the whole world with your own kingdom, loyally supporting any of the existing kingdoms, leading a revolt to put a lawful ruler to the throne (for example, the wife of the late king, overthrown by the king's brother after his death, or a patrician who would have been elected to lead a republic if not for the current king blackmailing the electors).

Or you can, for example, decide that you just want to make X amount of money, and you can just run from town to town, buying enterprises that make you money or buying trade goods and selling them at a profit. Or maxing out the village relations with every village in the area by doing quests for them. Or whatever else.

It is also extremely moddable, with the majority of the existing mods basically porting it to another setting, like Napoleonic era, Dark Ages Britain or even, for the first game, fucking Star Wars universe, although a notable few add new features to the mix. I, for example, once spent a week roleplaying a bounty hunter in a Western mod for the first game, taking out bounties (it's also a thing you can do in both games unmodded, albeit it's taken from a lord along with different possible quests) and hunting by day, then returning for a game of blackjack (a feature in the mod) by night.

As for the 'is it worth it' well, I cannot really tell if it would be right up your alley, but me, I have around seven hundred hours clocked in total in the original and the... basically upgraded rerelease Warband, so yeah.

Also, important factor - which game is it? Both M&B and Warband? Either? The latter has a slew of upgrades in graphics (most notably the clunky-ass combat animations and shader support) and features (the aforesaid 'your own kingdom' thing among them, although there are ways you can handle this in the original, along with the very much alive multiplayer) and mod-makers tend to make most of the stuff for it nowadays, HOWEVER, the original has a number of very good (I dare say - better) ones which, for a really dumb technical reason, are not exactly forwards compatible unless you make a simple hack.

Also, wow, wall of text.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3512 on: July 05, 2014, 02:50:32 pm »

I'm sure there was a M&B mod that let you manage a village in a First Person style, you could see your walls slowly building up and stuff.

Anyway I wouldn't recommend going for the bundle if you just want Mount & Blade because Warband is where all the current mods are really being made. Of course you can also just wait a bit longer for Bannerlord to come out which will just be Warband++ (as Warband is M&B++)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3513 on: July 05, 2014, 02:54:09 pm »

I'm sure there was a M&B mod that let you manage a village in a First Person style, you could see your walls slowly building up and stuff.

Anyway I wouldn't recommend going for the bundle if you just want Mount & Blade because Warband is where all the current mods are really being made. Of course you can also just wait a bit longer for Bannerlord to come out which will just be Warband++ (as Warband is M&B++)

Oh, there was several. There was, in fact, one mod ENTIRELY focused on that, back in M&B.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3514 on: July 05, 2014, 02:57:08 pm »

The game has very little in common with Skyrim.

There isn't much in the way of story - just a bit of background history to the world.  Otherwise the story is your own rise to power, purely told through gameplay, and how that shapes the world.

You're basically dropped in the world as a level 1 individual with nothing.  There's a little intro event where you help a merchant save a family member from some corrupt authorities.  You hire a handful of cannon fodder soldiers for this task.  You earn a little money. 

And then everything from there on out is all you.  You're free to go wherever, fight whoever, and engage in politics or trade to whatever degree you'd like.  The world is populated by a handful of small kingdoms all competing for dominance.  Lots of nobles all wandering the world map looking for fights and territories to capture.  They cycle through treaties and hostilities as they do so, and nobles change allegiances.  As you play, you'll make friends or enemies among these nobles, and that will have effects on NPC behaviors and how things ultimately play out on the world map.  You can join up with a kingdom or start your own.  You can build allegiances with any factions you want, even bandits.

It's one of the most genuinely open-world sandbox games out there.

It also has, in my opinion, the most satisfying combat system of any first or 3d person action/adventure game out there.  Combat in Skyrim will be boring to you after playing this.  (I disagree very heavily with Sordid on this one - don't listen to him!)

And a pretty good mod community that greatly expands on the base game.  Not on the same level as Skyrim, but it's still one of those games where modding is central to the experience for most people.

Criticisms: 

The dialogue and politics are not that deep.  Every major NPC has their own personality, which effects who else in the world they get along with and what you need to do to make friends or enemies of them.  You use this to earn their loyalty, manipulate their decisions, or seed dissent and distrust between people you don't want working together.  There's also a marriage system.  It takes some work to get a noble lady to warm up to you.  It also helps if you get the blessings of their family.  And then when you marry, you get a lot of political support from the family you married into, unless it happened against the father's wishes.  So it's a very powerful and dynamic system, but it's also kind of monotonous, because it all works through a very limited range of dialogue options and tasks that make you feel like you're doing the same things with everybody over and over.  It feels a bit more like operating machinery than really interacting with people.

I find that it's very difficult to make use of battlefield tactics, even with the help of mods that make it easier... but it doesn't matter too much, because the enemy AI isn't very tactical and is easily abused.

So if you're not very interested in playing for the combat system and watching your armies and territories grow as you personally lead them in hundreds of battles, then you probably won't be into the game for very long.  But even then, it's a very unique experience.  There is no other game like it.

Also worth mentioning:  online play can be pretty good if you get into it.  But it's one of those games where that takes some effort, because the skill ceiling is pretty high and combat against other players is very different from combat against AI.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 03:03:04 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3515 on: July 05, 2014, 03:01:11 pm »

OK, I just checked - the bundle includes M&B and NOT Warband.

So yeah, it's nearly the same game, but it looks a bit more like ass (well, it's pretty good for a game developed by literally a couple in Turkey starting in 2003, but still) and lacking some things from its successor, albeit having a couple of pretty sweet mods.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #3516 on: July 05, 2014, 03:30:20 pm »

Yeah, I'm not at all interested in games that are mostly about combat. Combat in a game (especially in 3d) is primarily something I tolerate because of other features, not something I'm looking for. So I'll definitely be passing on this one. Thanks again for the info!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3517 on: July 05, 2014, 04:53:29 pm »

The demo (that is the full game locked until you buy it) is long enough for you to make your mind as from what i remember it only end when you reach level 7
So you're only going to miss vassaldom and trying to carve your own kingdom if you want to, but the gameplay is mostly what you'll have in the demo.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #3518 on: July 05, 2014, 07:42:15 pm »

Vanilla is a bit plain, though very historical feeling.  A lot of mods tend towards more hardcore and niche historical settings, I've found - the 1200-or-so AD mod, which gives you all of Europe and a large selection of factions, like the Irish and the Teutons, or this one Mahatsfjdkslfa;fdk; vjfk s;lfjdsklf;djfsomething mod set in and around India, Indonesia, the Phillipines, and that general area, or With Fire and Sword, which is set in an early gunpowder-era Eastern Europe, with factions like the Crimeans and the Cossacks (and with fairly unintelligible - to my sensibilities, at least - Polish-I-think names for towns and whatnot).  So that's kinda cool.

But yes - really, the meat of the game is in its combat.  It's extremely different from other games - saying 'play Skyrim or Dark Souls instead' is not helpful, as it is just about entirely different.

That the bundle you were lookin' at doesn't have Warband pretty bad, also, as practically everything is now developed for Warband.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3519 on: July 05, 2014, 08:02:57 pm »

With Fire and Sword is a separate game, though. >_>
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3520 on: July 05, 2014, 08:41:17 pm »

Wasn't there a mod for Warband of the same name ?
I think i remember some people mentionning it

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3521 on: July 05, 2014, 10:39:09 pm »

Good plan.  I find that it promisses just enough in terms of economics, trade, industry, politics and intrigue to leave me unfulfilled.  Its mostly a combat game, and what exists of the other elements is more like an incomplete sketch.  And grindey, to boot.

still, I love it for what it is.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3522 on: July 05, 2014, 10:43:14 pm »

It has always felt like 2/3 of a finished game, and left me wanting more.  I get very frustrated with its shortcomings, but continue to play it because there is no other game like it.  This is why I'm anticipating M&B 2 so super hard.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3523 on: July 05, 2014, 11:06:23 pm »

How do the historical mods handle the oceans?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3524 on: July 05, 2014, 11:35:05 pm »

Either you get a boat from a town or there are certain areas on the map that you can embark from.

Dunno about combat in the ocean, I think some mods do and some don't.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 310