Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 655877 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #3330 on: May 17, 2014, 09:22:16 pm »

Played Chivalry for free a bit.... and all it did was make me want to play Warband again.  It's still the only game around with a satisfying melee combat system.  Going to give the Clash of Kings mod a try.  Maybe switch to Gekokujo if I don't like it.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3331 on: May 17, 2014, 09:30:15 pm »

Chivalry has a decent melee combat system IMO, I mainly like it because it does it differently than M&B and still manages to be satisfying. I've always loved M&B's melee system but it's always been obvious that it kinda lacks polish... or it's rough around the edges so to speak. Multiplayer involves people spinning around like crazy while stabbing, and singleplayer has AI that is dumb and can exploit certain things to try to make up for it.

I forget who said it, but someone described M&B as 'awesome considering it's the only game of its type'. Something along those lines, but more verbose. If a bigger company decided to make an M&B type game with more polish and such it'd probably blow M&B out of the water, but then again M&B is showing its age. perhaps M&B 2 will deliver? Until it's released we can't say for sure.

Speaking of M&B 2 (It's actually M&B:Bannerlord, but come on, really) the first M&B did the 'early access' thing way before Steam and Minecraft did (around 2004 I believe?). Do you think they'll have an 'early access' for M&B 2? If they've mentioned it somewhere before I have forgotten or have missed it.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3332 on: May 18, 2014, 12:19:47 am »

M&B does severely lack polish in many areas, and I hope M&B 2 addresses that.  But the feel of combat is the one area where I don't think that applies.  Out of every pc game I've played that tries to do a melee combat system more in-depth than "attack / power attack / block / counter", M&B's feels by far the most fluid.  The controls are responsive and intuitive, and things connect when it looks and feels like they should.

Chivalry feels like sort of a cheap knock-off by comparison.  The visuals and stuff blow M&B away, of course, but I just can't get the feel for the combat.  It works basically the same as M&B -- you attack and block according to your momentum and mouse movement.  But the timing of my character's actions feels really weird, and the controls and hit detection just don't feel nearly as responsive.  And it seems to have more lag problems, even on the lowest ping servers I could find.  Not good for a completely online game.

Yeah, I'm very eagerly awaiting the sequel.  M&B is one of my favorite games.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3333 on: May 18, 2014, 12:24:59 am »

But the feel of combat is the one area where I don't think that applies.  Out of every pc game I've played that tries to do a melee combat system more in-depth than "attack / power attack / block / counter", M&B's feels by far the most fluid.
I'd like to take this moment to point out that the reason I never got into Skyrim was because I played M&B for so long that Skyrim seemed so boring by comparison. I didn't have this problem with Morrowind or Oblivion because I hadn't been playing M&B before playing those.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3334 on: May 18, 2014, 12:57:32 am »

But the feel of combat is the one area where I don't think that applies.  Out of every pc game I've played that tries to do a melee combat system more in-depth than "attack / power attack / block / counter", M&B's feels by far the most fluid.
I'd like to take this moment to point out that the reason I never got into Skyrim was because I played M&B for so long that Skyrim seemed so boring by comparison. I didn't have this problem with Morrowind or Oblivion because I hadn't been playing M&B before playing those.

I have so much trouble appreciating Skyrim for exactly the same reason.  I enjoy everything about it except for the melee combat, which bores me to the point that it's hard to enjoy the game.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3335 on: May 18, 2014, 01:06:39 am »

Melee combat in it is clunky and hectic. First person view is frankly terrible, moreso with dual swords. Third person is hard to control and clunky.  Archery and magic are fairly enjoyable though.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3336 on: May 18, 2014, 01:17:40 am »

I think this happened to me too. I like Skyrim, but I don't feel the same I did about it as I did Morrowind when I was younger and had just obtained that and I've put far less time into it than I did way back with Morrowind.

I think compared to M&B maybe Skyrim was too easy. I hardly ever reloaded unless I ran into one of those rare mages that could damage you fast enough that you can't somehow heal. With M&B someone capable of ruining you like that was anyone with a two handed weapon, especially with a RCM mod, and you couldn't heal during a battle.

This is with vanilla Skyrim.

I'm looking forward to Bannerlord. If they do the same sort of scaling price as time goes on they did while developing M&B, I'll be sure to get it early like I did then. Hopefully it's not too pricey if not or this peasant will have to wait a few years and possibly skip expansions or DLC, like I did with Warband.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 01:20:45 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #3337 on: May 18, 2014, 02:58:08 am »

Hah, on chivalry v m&b, I've always preferred chivalry as far as infantry fighting went.
In M&B you've got your four attacks: left right overhead thrust, and they deal more or less damage depending on which direction you're moving. Problem I have with this is that they all feel same-y: the focus is on the movement, not the attack. Contrast that with chivalry's 3 attacks where each serves a distinct purpose: the spammy sweeps, the slow heavy overheads & the difficult long-range pokes. I also felt less restricted with my footwork- I could spend more time trying to psych out my opponent and think about the environment when I don't have to futz with the finicky momentum system.
But, well, there isn't anything quite like bisecting a fleeing archer from horseback- no dismemberment system can make up for that lovely crepitus.

But then, my single-player MB experience was tinted by the Forward+LMB AI, I was able to avoid latency problems in chivalry, and my M&B mp experience consists of 40 hours in war of the roses.

Yeah, TES combat isn't very deep. I can't play vanilla- it's just too floaty. Surreal-like. You sit there and LMB 50 times to kill a bandit leader & 200 times to kill a dragon, woopty-doo.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 03:01:34 am by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3338 on: May 18, 2014, 07:30:18 am »

Chiv vs M&B combat is apples and oranges. Chivalry combat is designed around face-to-face, one-on-one duels of a small amount of fighters most of the time, whereas M&B's is designed to work with tons of soldiers smacking each other with cutting implements haphazardly.

I find the M&B multiplayer dueling to be a massive load of bullshit, because it's completely surreal - the most common duelling stance is 'IMMA STAB TEH EARHT!' and spazzy feints - it looks more like very hardcore clowning more than a duel. Chivalry's duels are definitely less stupid.

On the other hand, for what it's designed for, I find M&B's combat rather elegant and satisfying.

TES... I cannot say they are BAD games, I have sank quite a bit of time in them, but they feel painfully shallow. Melee combat feels less like cutting flesh and more like buttering the enemy's hitbox with your oversized butter knife until the hitbox decides it's time to die, and your impact on the world is hilariously limited.

I honestly find M&B sandbox more immersive that Skyrim's, because Skyrim reaches the sandbox Uncanny Valley - everything looks fine and all, but then you run into characters having three lines they cycle between. Welcome to Corneria.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3339 on: May 18, 2014, 08:20:17 am »

I like swords.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3340 on: May 18, 2014, 08:50:19 am »

I like sledgehammers.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3341 on: May 18, 2014, 09:40:16 am »

Anyone have played the Warsword Conquest mod recently on Warband ?

I had played it a long time ago, it was promising, looking at it again i see that the download size have inflated quite a lot since what i remembered, so i looked at the mod thread and found out there have been a big update with tons of new things in the last part of April.

Oh well, my free time is going to take a big hit once i'm done downloading

(be sure to get the bugfix too on nexus)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3342 on: May 18, 2014, 09:43:23 am »

I like polearms/spears =D

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3343 on: May 18, 2014, 09:56:04 am »

I like polearms/spears =D

when it comes to pikes I am the sultan of swoosh.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3344 on: May 18, 2014, 09:56:27 am »

Starting a human character on Warsword Conquest, i decide to take a quest from a nearby village of the empire, the elder gives me the "train us to fight bandits" one, i take it and start knocking out a couple of peasants after each successful training, as usual with that quest.

Then once the time is there, the battle with the bandits start.
Except that the bandits in that case are a large band of huge blue Trolls with their heavy clubs.

They process to one hit-KO absolutely every peasant and 2 hit KO me when several of them surround the hopeless myself.

Ouch, the mod just trolled me with ... trolls :D
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 310