Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 655990 times)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #3285 on: February 12, 2014, 06:56:54 pm »

I was one of the first backers of Overgrowth, I think I still have the first alpha kicking around somewhere.

And no, while Overgrowth does not have weapons make 'physical contact' with enemies in the wya I describe they do kinda have it worked out so thrown weapons will function that way, and other various physics things that are neat (jumping at high speed and hitting your head on an archway = bad). They do have a system where dragging enemies attaches your hands to the enemy at certain point and pulls them around as a physics object while your legs move dynamically.

I will say though that the way Overgrowth does its blood is pretty damn amazing, that's the kinda thing I'd love to see in M&B... except maybe toned down a bit =p

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3286 on: February 12, 2014, 07:26:36 pm »

I was one of the first backers of Overgrowth, I think I still have the first alpha kicking around somewhere.

And no, while Overgrowth does not have weapons make 'physical contact' with enemies in the wya I describe they do kinda have it worked out so thrown weapons will function that way, and other various physics things that are neat (jumping at high speed and hitting your head on an archway = bad). They do have a system where dragging enemies attaches your hands to the enemy at certain point and pulls them around as a physics object while your legs move dynamically.

I will say though that the way Overgrowth does its blood is pretty damn amazing, that's the kinda thing I'd love to see in M&B... except maybe toned down a bit =p
That sounds awesome... but I don't think that sorta stuff will ever be part of the scope of M&B...  When the game is not as 'you' centric as something like Skyrim...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3287 on: February 14, 2014, 02:45:09 pm »

Ok, why do I have mystmountain armies sizing 2000 men running around my map? And how can I beat them when the battles end up being a couple dozen vs 100?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3288 on: February 14, 2014, 02:57:10 pm »

Ok, why do I have mystmountain armies sizing 2000 men running around my map? And how can I beat them when the battles end up being a couple dozen vs 100?

Tactics. And absurdly powerful units, like Elven Archers.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3289 on: February 14, 2014, 03:02:42 pm »

A single army of that size?  Or you mean the mass of little armies running around together?  Floris mod is it?
If it is Floris:
If it is the mass of little armies... well, basically the bandits are following a leader/hero.  This is a vanilla feature if I remember correctly, but with steroids.  It is a pretty nice feature in my opinion...  Gives you the option to fight a mass of weak enemies every now and then.

As for dealing with em... divide and conquer... or ignore and let em roam around, eating everything they manage to catch.  They'll get destroyed on their own eventually, cause of attrition and way too many prisoners slowing em down.

If it is Prophecy of Pendor: I don't remember.   Avoid like the plague, don't fight em alone.  It is pretty hard to fight a series of battles with a very limited number of troops...  Especially since each KO on your side counts for way more.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3290 on: February 14, 2014, 03:20:24 pm »

It's pendor. They started out as 759, and are now around 2000..... 2 of them. One doesn't even have a special commander, it's just a horde of raiders

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3291 on: February 14, 2014, 03:33:32 pm »

Yes, Pendor like to oversize the roaming armies, and unless you have a bunch of those elven ranged troops (with their ridiculously overpowered bows) and high ground (so they can shoot absolutely everything that is slowed down by climbing mountains), better become the marshal of a faction and lead a host of lords to face them on equal cumulated numbers.

Now a problem that i have been frustrated with in those case of huge amount of troops vs huge amount of troops is how it's stupidly easy for warband to decide to crash when you just finally reached the last of the many, many 100vs100 battles you'll have to fight against those armies.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3292 on: February 14, 2014, 05:02:04 pm »

Back when I played M&B there was a tool called Battle Size Changer which let you go well over the maximum Native allows. It was pretty cool to have it set to 500 or so though it may make your frame rate drop a lot. It made fighting with big groups much more efficient though as instead of a series of small battles it was a few big ones.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3293 on: February 14, 2014, 05:30:43 pm »

I'll have to try that, though it's not necessary to download an additional program, you may be able to simply open the rgl_config.txt and change the battle_size = blablabla to a number.

battle_size = 0 meaning 30, battle_size = 1 meaning 150 (maximum if you only use the ingame options)

But if you increase manually the number you can get higher, i think that's what the battle sizer program do for you, googling the formula is apparently

( Your desired number of troops - 30 ) divided by 120

So if you want a battle size of 300 troops (150vs150 by example), you'll need to set battle_size = 2.25

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3294 on: February 16, 2014, 05:18:17 pm »

That's one thing I hope they fix in M&B2, when you hit somebody your weapon should stop if it's a solid hit. The only time it wouldn't stop is if it's a scratch or if it has cleaved the person in half. Hitting multiple targets in one swing is actually a kinda silly thing if you think about it.

Try turning up the values on bounce back and stagger. You can make it such that the weapon doesn't go through the entity like a glancing blow in the original game.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3295 on: February 22, 2014, 05:40:45 pm »

Ugh after trying to play prophesy of pendor with normal damage and no save scumming, im realizing just how badly designed it is for starting characters. Your best course of action is usually to waste hours of time training your guy at a training field and once you become a mercenary, to wait in a castle for months as you collect your payments. Mount and blade has never been a grindfest and I don't see why they felt the need to make it one.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3296 on: February 22, 2014, 05:55:32 pm »

Yes, i agree that with Pendor starting characters are not going to have really fun as they insta die from even the lowly bandits, that's because they designed Pendor balance to roughly at the character mid-leveled (+/- level 12/15).

That was to correct a problem with native that is balanced for low level character, but that once you reach midlevel there's nothing anymore that can stop you. While in Pendor at that point of the game it's where your character is now able meet the challenge head on.

Though to keep you entertained when you're still low level at Pendor, i suggest instead of grinding endlessly training camp and waiting in castles to simply follow troops of the faction you wish to join (or better, follow the Noldor parties, as you will annoyingly need to have high enough positive relationship with them to win the game so better get started as soon as possible) and when they fight against somethig else, jump to their side.

You're probably going to lose your weak troops regularly but you may be able to get some good experience (much more than training camp would deliver) , and find some good loot with some luck.
Additionally, talking after battle with the lord you helped will give you some relationship points with him.
Always good for later when you'll be at the point you will be asking for a fief, as the higher relationship you have with the lords, the more chances they'll go your way (unless you have too many fiefs)

You're going to level up much quicker than grinding training camp like that, and with the loot you will be able to hire mercs in taverns, and usually mercs are much stronger than villagers you draft , even after leveled them a bit they will still be weaker than most mercs.

And from there the game will start changing as you'll be progressively able to fight battles on your own, and you'll actually have fun.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 06:03:17 pm by Robsoie »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3297 on: February 22, 2014, 06:05:50 pm »

I tried following armies, but that failed horribly when I found that some knight orders hate me, and only me, and will slaughter my guys in the middle of an army of allies.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3298 on: February 22, 2014, 10:27:50 pm »

That's really something i dislike in Pendor too, there are some enemies that will completely be ignored by every of your close allies, they will never ever attack your allies, they indeed hate you and only you, probably due to some broken piece of code somewhere.
And when you're attacked, none of your allies will help you, even the one you may have insanely high relationship to the point they eating in your hands.

It makes no sense and breaks a lot of the fun for me when it happens

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3299 on: February 23, 2014, 11:29:58 am »

I think it is more intentional then being broken?    Mercenary companies they are?
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 310