Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 656047 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #3255 on: January 13, 2014, 11:52:39 am »

Looks like assaulting is getting a much needed face-lift.
I do hope that actual sieging is improved. I don't think it actually does anything currently and I've even reduced towns' population to 0 and they'll still refuse to surrender. Brytenwalda had a very interesting sieging system that actually had you constructing fortifications and other projects to fend off skirmishers and disease, if only the AI was forced through the same hoops ...

Yeah, the biggest problem with Brytenwalda was AI being a cheating bastard.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3256 on: January 13, 2014, 12:21:00 pm »

Played Nord Invasion today. Probably the most boring mod experience I've ever had, but I normally stay away from multiplayer after all. Every game I've joined has consisted of 4-15 other more or less well-geared players who apparently have nothing better to do wheat-cutting underwhelming waves of scantily clad north men. Worse are the garish CoD-like banners, as if someone is trying to appeal to the demi-humans that play those games and dillute the indie race.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3257 on: January 13, 2014, 12:36:05 pm »

Played Nord Invasion today. Probably the most boring mod experience I've ever had, but I normally stay away from multiplayer after all. Every game I've joined has consisted of 4-15 other more or less well-geared players who apparently have nothing better to do wheat-cutting underwhelming waves of scantily clad north men. Worse are the garish CoD-like banners, as if someone is trying to appeal to the demi-humans that play those games and dillute the indie race.

Ibid, you are amazing. I snorted water out my nose with laughter when I read this, thank you for making my day that much better. :)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3258 on: January 13, 2014, 12:36:22 pm »

The early waves are ridiculously easy, yes, I'm not even top level in my class. But that's first three rounds, after which the first challenge wave comes and quite often half the team will die, followed by three mostly breather waves, and then a relentless tide of HARD.

The banners aren't the modmakers' fault, those are all made and uploaded by Houses, i.e. players, who are people, who are mostly idiots. I must say, though, I am proud of my masterfully shopped banner of the joke-House of ZoS.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3259 on: January 13, 2014, 05:17:00 pm »

Is cRPG best ?
In my experience, cRPG was a blast a couple years back, there were a bunch of fun people playing. Of course trolls and jerks were rampant, but it seems nowadays the entire community consists of them, which is a shame. I've only seen the NA side of it though so I can't speak for the EU people. The mod also seems much less active than before, it was commonplace to see regular battles consisting of 100 players at a time, and even larger Strategus battles.

The hello kitty banner syndrome found in Nord Invasion also plagues cRPG. Once upon a time you could download your own banner packs for cRPG, and I even made the banner that our little clan used (we were call the Eastern Tsardom), and after that clan splintered I kinda stopped playing. Now with the little auto-updater you're pretty much forced to use the banners that each clan pays for (at least I think they pay for them?)

The premise of the mod is pretty cool though, a mod with persistent characters so you could design your character to suit your playstyle. They also have a somewhat interesting system that prevents you from loading up with a board shield, pocket pike, long-hafted knobbed mace, and awlpike. Now weapons take up a certain amount of slots, and some weapons you automatically drop if you try to put them away, such as pikes. The idea of having to drop certain polearms in interesting because it's not like you can sheath them properly in reality, but the system isn't perfect. A pike you cannot drop and have in your hands constantly somehow takes up room on your belt for a sword, for example. probably just for balance reasons.

In essence: used to be fun, not as many people play now. Has interesting concepts that aren't perfectly executed, but if you expect perfection from a mod well...

EDIT: Oh right, regarding the blog post. it seems that, unfortunately, the defenders still all pile up at the top of a ladder. One of the most annoying things in Warband is how the AI is content with simply forming a conga line as you backpedal and kill them one by one instead of trying to surround you or keeping a distance appropriate for their weapon.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 05:22:11 pm by OzyTheSage »

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3260 on: January 13, 2014, 05:51:29 pm »

EDIT: Oh right, regarding the blog post. it seems that, unfortunately, the defenders still all pile up at the top of a ladder. One of the most annoying things in Warband is how the AI is content with simply forming a conga line as you backpedal and kill them one by one instead of trying to surround you or keeping a distance appropriate for their weapon.

I quite like the description of the situation used by someone on Taleworlds forum: 'Archers forming a mosh pit at the top of the ladder'. Hopefully they will fix it, in fact I believe they pretty much have to since the promised feature is multiple points of entry being possible, and the screenshot might be pointing to ladders being raisable, so they will have to factor it in the AI.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3261 on: January 13, 2014, 05:55:40 pm »

Speaking of that, I hope that means that you get to pick where you raise the ladders, or have to carry ladders to the front. In fact, cRPG mod used to have deployable ladders but they removed it and restricted it to Strategus battles only. It made siege maps more interesting since people could come in from any direction.

However, I aimagine that if you do get to choose where to put them you'll only be able to choose pre-set locations...

I'm also curious to see what kind of things modders will be able to do with the bannerlord engine...

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3262 on: February 05, 2014, 02:08:07 pm »

how much is replayable the game with fire and sword?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3263 on: February 05, 2014, 02:28:45 pm »

The one thing that has eluded me in mods so far is the ability for swords to hit multiple targets. I wish there was a mod that added that.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3264 on: February 05, 2014, 02:32:54 pm »

That's one thing I hope they fix in M&B2, when you hit somebody your weapon should stop if it's a solid hit. The only time it wouldn't stop is if it's a scratch or if it has cleaved the person in half. Hitting multiple targets in one swing is actually a kinda silly thing if you think about it.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3265 on: February 05, 2014, 06:01:04 pm »

how much is replayable the game with fire and sword?

Less than native or Warband, primarily because of the lack of mods but also because it's more story-based.  Still, you have five factions, three of which have quest lines you can follow, and there is a mod that lets you found your own country, allowing you to chose the culture of your troops and adding Prussian culture as an option.

So definitely some replayability, just not as much as M&B or Warband.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3266 on: February 05, 2014, 07:16:00 pm »

That's one thing I hope they fix in M&B2, when you hit somebody your weapon should stop if it's a solid hit. The only time it wouldn't stop is if it's a scratch or if it has cleaved the person in half. Hitting multiple targets in one swing is actually a kinda silly thing if you think about it.

I think it might be possible with a scimitar or any other curve bladed weapon, since slashes mainly graze a target rather than cleave.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3267 on: February 05, 2014, 07:30:41 pm »

that's what I was getting at, i.e. more realistic sword phyiscs when it comes to hitting people, etc.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3268 on: February 05, 2014, 08:05:18 pm »

The amount of computing power required to do something like that would probably make more than a few computers explode.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3269 on: February 05, 2014, 08:08:02 pm »

The amount of computing power required to do something like that would probably make more than a few computers explode.

Die by the sword did it ages ago.
Now just multiplying the # of characters and swords by several magnitudes... well i think it would work.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 310