Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 656039 times)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #3240 on: January 11, 2014, 01:50:59 pm »

half of the torunament players always get stuck in walls. which is mildly bad for ranged horsemen, and crippling for melee ones.

by the way, when should I kick a vassal out of my kingdom? and how should I keep them all happy?  it seems that the larger you are, the harder it is to keep everything together ( unless you hand all conquests to an handful of vassals)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3241 on: January 11, 2014, 01:59:23 pm »

Yeah, I've seen the shittiness of horse AI in a tournament. 16 units with a mix of ranged/melee weapons all on horses results in a major clusterfuck.
I wish i had an idea on how to mod those damned horse-infested tournaments and the AI always ending stuck in wall, defeating all the challenge of Warband tournaments, as AI horsemen stuck in wall = easy target dead on your next charge.

I would simply remove all the horses from tournaments to get those tourneys only using melee and ranged AI troops, they work a -very- lot better in those closed small arenas.

But when there are horses, you're nearly getting a free win.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3242 on: January 11, 2014, 02:04:09 pm »

Having bigger arenas would help AI horsemen a lot in tournament. Hell, there's that swadian arena that is meant to be a jouting arena, and the barrer in the middle just hinders horsemen even more (you can jump over it, be it on horse or on foot, but the AI won't try to do that).

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3243 on: January 11, 2014, 02:42:45 pm »

As such, I'd recommend going Skirmishers, unless you like ranged combat.
I've already played a little bit and already started going down the skirmisher path, mainly because I am a huuuge sucker for polearm weapons =D
The fact that they're described as being the fastest with better athletics than the other classes is just icing on the cake. I'm so used to cRPG mod where I got as much athletics as possible. Anything less and I feel like I'm trudging through mud all the time. Against AI tactics I guess it's not such a big deal, since they can cluster up and constantly attack, waiting for the friend in front of them to fall because their swing can get in while you're recovering from your last swing.

Speaking of AI tactics, there's a funny thing you can do with AI who has such high accuracy they can headshot you almost all the time at any range. When you chamber certain attacks and look up or down your player model will be bent over, but the AI will still aim at where your head would be if you were just standing still. This could be exploited in some mods with really high AI accuracy, as you could just stand there with an attack chambered towards the ground while they shoot over your head =p

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3244 on: January 11, 2014, 03:19:53 pm »

As such, I'd recommend going Skirmishers, unless you like ranged combat.
I've already played a little bit and already started going down the skirmisher path, mainly because I am a huuuge sucker for polearm weapons =D
The fact that they're described as being the fastest with better athletics than the other classes is just icing on the cake. I'm so used to cRPG mod where I got as much athletics as possible. Anything less and I feel like I'm trudging through mud all the time. Against AI tactics I guess it's not such a big deal, since they can cluster up and constantly attack, waiting for the friend in front of them to fall because their swing can get in while you're recovering from your last swing.

Speaking of AI tactics, there's a funny thing you can do with AI who has such high accuracy they can headshot you almost all the time at any range. When you chamber certain attacks and look up or down your player model will be bent over, but the AI will still aim at where your head would be if you were just standing still. This could be exploited in some mods with really high AI accuracy, as you could just stand there with an attack chambered towards the ground while they shoot over your head =p

Sadly, trying to stab the ground would get you only angry teammates. But yeah, they are really really accurate, and if you happen to encounter Repeatermen it becomes an enormous pain in the ass.

Also, me and a friend of mine tried out the recently added Cavalry gamemode, and it's pretty fun, and rather hilarious early on due to the fact that you WILL be riding a pony, unless you were really rich to start with (the first real horse, the Rouncey, costs fifty thousand gold).

It demands more individual skill, especially since you will likely be on your own until more people get interested in it, with teamwork being more about helping the other person to get to safety.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3245 on: January 12, 2014, 08:00:47 pm »

Bows vs Crossbows: Without sufficient power shot (i.e. lower level troops), bows just don't do as much damage per-shot as crossbows.  And because armor/ironskin (ironskin only works in Warband) reduces damage per-shot, bow users below the top tier will often do little or no damage per shot.

Vassals: In some versions, you can only win by having all lords in your faction.  So ultimately, you'll want as many as you can get, even the irritable ones.  Fight alongside them then talk about it and throw banquets, and ask a lady to improve your opinion with any lord you have a negative opinion with (because honestly, just paying gold is far easier than those other two methods).  Most guides I've read recommend building a couple superlords and keeping everyone else at one holding.  Regardless of your policy of handing out holdings, the facts that you generally need one holding per lord and you want as many lords as possible will mean that distribution of holdings is a rather irregular way of getting lords to like you.

Tip: The best way to get lords in all factions to like you is to do the various claimant quests, provided you're able to complete them.  You'll want 4 in persuasion, the ability to field an army of around 40 soldiers, and solid field combat skills (sieges are a meatgrinder: just bring a bow/crossbow and shield and carefully pick off enemy troops while your men do the real fighting).  Optionally, you'll want to obtain a castle/city each time in the claimant's faction, target factions currently losing wars (smaller factions mean smaller domain that you need to conquer in order to finish), a force of huskarls/master crossbowmen for sieges, and a strong cavalry force for the field.  Personally, I like either myself or a companion to have a decent level (20 or so) along with training skill.  So basically, you use your power to determine holding owners to win friends throughout the claimant quest, then surrender your holdings so you can repeat with another faction.  Not really sure how much better it is than just doing quests for nobles prior to joining their faction (once you join their faction, the quests get harder, better to play postman multiple times than get bogged down with a "capture specific prisoners" quest).

Horsies: The key to a cavalry force is critical mass.  One or two mounted units: Fodder.  Twenty or thirty horsemen: Slaughtering maelstrom.  The quality of the horses don't matter as much as the quantity, hence why Khergit are better if you're trying to create a mounted force early on, as they get guaranteed horses at tier 2 and random at tier 1.  And yes, the AI can suck at using horses.  Best to use the follow command periodically to keep your horses from dying.  For what it's worth, the AI is equally bad at managing Rhodok/Nord Shieldwall tactics.  Sometimes, the AI gets lucky, but usually it just charges and the infantry die piecemeal.

If you really want to see better AI, try Pendor and some of the other mods.  They have an improved AI that actually forms shield walls, skirmishes with horse archers, and swipes the flanks with horsemen.

Detonate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3246 on: January 12, 2014, 09:18:04 pm »

I've been playing Pendor for a while, and I've liked it a lot. There's just one problem... the minor faction unique spawns.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, if an enemy faction takes a castle that I founded a knighthood order in, will they still be there if we take it back? I'm asking because we took Ansen Lodge from the Fierdsvain, and founded the Silvermist Rangers there. Not even a week later, Sarleon war dec's us and steamrolls my puny, new castle with an army of over 1300. Now my own knights are being used against me. What can I do? Ansen Lodge was my only walled fief, so I wouldn't know if there were an option to move them somewhere else.
Looks like that poison wasn`t good for their eyes at all.
I never thought I'd say this, but Nietzsche is just adorable.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3247 on: January 13, 2014, 01:10:32 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm afraid I never played Pendor long enough to understand knighthood orders.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3248 on: January 13, 2014, 01:47:48 am »

The enemy can be beaten. Aim to become Marshal, build alliances, and lead the full force of the King's men against them.

Then get ready for a Sarleon-sponsored invasion.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3249 on: January 13, 2014, 03:04:17 am »

Is cRPG best ?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3250 on: January 13, 2014, 07:12:46 am »

New devlog is out.

Notice the guys actually having a climbing animation.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3251 on: January 13, 2014, 07:29:03 am »

Cannot wait for Bannerlord.  It's going to drive me crazy.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3252 on: January 13, 2014, 10:08:24 am »

There's a siege tower and a ladder at the same time. That's quite the impressive improvement.

I'd like if you could get fire arrows during a siege to try and burn down a siege tower, like in Total War.

A generally more dynamic siege system would be nice overall. Things like assigning troops to carry a ram to knock down a gate, troops to man catapults and carry the ladders. The defender can raise or lower a drawbridge, close gates and pouring boiling oil on attackers.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3253 on: January 13, 2014, 10:44:31 am »

Notice the guys actually having a climbing animation.

I predict much archery and many sadness.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3254 on: January 13, 2014, 10:54:22 am »

Looks like assaulting is getting a much needed face-lift.
I do hope that actual sieging is improved. I don't think it actually does anything currently and I've even reduced towns' population to 0 and they'll still refuse to surrender. Brytenwalda had a very interesting sieging system that actually had you constructing fortifications and other projects to fend off skirmishers and disease, if only the AI was forced through the same hoops ...
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 310