Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 656089 times)

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #3225 on: January 04, 2014, 06:08:36 pm »

What horse-type do people like using? Warhorses? Coursers? What do you look for, speed or survivability (health, armour)?

Depends, Courser for horse-archer types, Warhorse for close combat, although in cavalry vs cavalry engagements I like Steppe horses for the quick turning which makes up for their lower speed.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3226 on: January 04, 2014, 06:23:33 pm »

Speed is the best, so coursers. Warhorse sucks, so slow, constantly gets knocked out and becomes crippled.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3227 on: January 04, 2014, 07:23:08 pm »

Speed is usually king especially if you learned to ALWAYS ALWAYS CIRCLE AND KITE, but if you expect to be getting up close and personal then get a Warhorse. If you're using ranged then go for courser.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3228 on: January 04, 2014, 07:46:29 pm »

Or alternatively be a cheating bastard and save-edit your agility to 1000.

Who needs a horse when you can RUN FASTER THEN HORSES ON FOOT?

Seriously, I am an addict.
Also:

Ya know, something I'd like to see is a mod that allows you to become a huge juggernaut of destruction, able to take on entire armies on your own, wielding a huge two handed sword and wearing full plate armour. Like, you could take on a quest to become a powerful vampire or demon possessed terror who carves out their own province. A hero army could appear after a while, with an equally powerful general who's sole goal is to topple your kingdom by defeating you.

I once had an idea to create a mod where symbiote aliens crashed and took over high society, giving lords ungodly high stats and turning the battlefield into a war of the superhumans esque thing.
Except I can't mod this game worth crap :P
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 07:53:15 pm by BFEL »
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3229 on: January 04, 2014, 11:47:44 pm »

I would play a mod with some kind of supernatural powers for lords to justify their overpoweredness. In some ways they're already super powerful, especially the player, so it would be fun to take it to the extreme.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3230 on: January 09, 2014, 11:52:07 am »

Since I recently got back to it, I figured I'd recommend you Nord Invasion. It's a multiplayer wave defence with persistent character progression. So, you start out as a redshirt with a breadknife of a sword, gain XP and gold and die. A lot.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3231 on: January 09, 2014, 06:22:22 pm »

How active is Nord Invasion? I love multiplayer mods, but obviously they're only fun when other people are playing them =p

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3232 on: January 09, 2014, 06:30:05 pm »

How active is Nord Invasion? I love multiplayer mods, but obviously they're only fun when other people are playing them =p

Quite active. It's a long-running mod, and usually at least one server is full (16 people max, although sometimes the server derps - I played with 21 an hour ago), though those are EU servers - no idea how about the NA and AUS servers, but I'm guessing similar.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3233 on: January 09, 2014, 08:43:21 pm »

Oh cool, just downloaded nord invasion. I played cRPG so I didn't except the character system to be this in-depth. You probably should've given me a referral though, so that you could get whatever benefit it provides =p

Now let's see, what kinda of dood to make..

EDIT: Ermm, 'cept I dunno what the fook I'm doing, lol
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 09:09:04 pm by OzyTheSage »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3234 on: January 11, 2014, 11:59:36 am »

Honestly, if I want ranged death, I'd grab Vaegirs. I only recruit Rhodoks for lines of spearmen, only that doesn't always work out.
Note: 50% of troops named "Rhodok Spearman" or "Veteran Rhodok Spearman" use swords.

Top grade Vaegirs are better for short term and quick death dealing.  The Rhodoks always do decent damage if they could land a hit.
During sieges, Rhodoks bend down while reloading, which allows em to dodge attacks and for other archers behind to shoot, depending on the angle.

At least that is how I see it.

Vaegirs generally need to land more hits in order to kill, whereas Rhodoks kill in one hit.  Plus, lower-tier Rhodoks are just plain better at range than Vaegirs, because it takes power draw to make the bows deadly.

However, once they run out of ammo (which will happen quicker with the Vaegirs, due to faster fire rate), the Vaegirs are purely better than the Rhodoks, because the Vaegirs generally come with a two-handed axe that cleaves through the enemy lines, whereas the Rhodoks get a puny sword/shield combo.

I used to think the Vaegirs sucked in a siege, until I actually tried to take their castles.  Boy did that hurt.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3235 on: January 11, 2014, 12:35:33 pm »

I've always been more fond of the Rhodoks than the Vaegirs. They're the perfect defensive faction and are best used when you let the enemy charge your ranks. 
Since the AI isn't all that smart they'll always charge without formation which means that cavalry units (sometimes just the lord if it's the Nords) are the first to meet the volley of bolts and pikes rendering them largely useless. Infantry are then mowed down by remaining bolts or slamming into the shieldwall while a final charge is issued to clean up archers and any stragglers with heros or merc horsemen. Casualties on your side will be largely minimal which leads to fast training and little downtime. Big Nord/Swadian parties can still be a pain though.

They also happen to be a surprisingly good siege assaulter. If you stand your army away from the walls and forbid them to use ranged weapons the crossbowmen will cower behind their shields eating up any missiles. When you've decently depleted the enemy of their ammunition you can return fire and charge with your melee units, usually to devastating results. Vaegirs/Khergits are especially weak to this tactic since they rarely carry shields so they'll become mincemeat once they've depleted their arrows.
Nords are more resistant to this tactic though it is nice to waste their throwing weapons on your units' shields instead of their faces.

While I find bows very powerful in Mount and Blade they seem to only unlike their true glory in the hands of a player as the AI seems rather poor at getting headshots and just generally aiming. AIs seem much more capable at aiming big thick bolts at fleshy chests.
When I'm playing Rhodok I generally go archer/horsearcher and either sit behind my ranks picking off targets or gallop around picking off weaker troops and disorientating the enemy AI so they spend more time in the bolt rain. 

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3236 on: January 11, 2014, 12:40:26 pm »

Yes, I have noticed the weakness of cavalry ;_;
It's only really efficient if you have a lot of it, or else they just get surrounded and slaughtered before the rest of your army arrives. That's why I removed horses from my companions (and also because my companions have useful skills that don't work when they're wounded)
(Playing as a Nord here)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3237 on: January 11, 2014, 12:52:04 pm »

Oh cool, just downloaded nord invasion. I played cRPG so I didn't except the character system to be this in-depth. You probably should've given me a referral though, so that you could get whatever benefit it provides =p

Now let's see, what kinda of dood to make..

EDIT: Ermm, 'cept I dunno what the fook I'm doing, lol

I should, I guess, though at this point the benefits aren't that high to me.

Oh, important tip: DO NOT MULTICLASS. Just don't. Pick a path and stick to it, a tier 2 infantryman is definitely superior to tier 1 infantryman tier 1 crossbowman (for example), and with the addition of Hero classes in the latest updates benefits of multiclassing are simply not worth it anymore.

Generally speaking, Infantry line's job is to be a tank, shielding and slashing, and they excel at melee at the cost of having no ranged capability whatsoever aside from piss-poor thrown weapons you get at tier 0.

On the opposite, Archers are pretty much exclusively ranged fighters, doubly so because many players like to take the lightest armor they can find to be able to kite enemies if things go south, or forsaking melee weapons for additional arrow slot.

Crossbowmen and Skirmishers are hybrids, the former being better rangers with some 1h capability and the latter fighters with access to good throwing weapons. Both are also different from the purist classes because of their weapons of choice, particularly Skirmishers, who use polearms, giving them MUCH more range, which is indispensable in shieldwalls.

As such, I'd recommend going Skirmishers, unless you like ranged combat.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3238 on: January 11, 2014, 01:12:58 pm »

Yes, I have noticed the weakness of cavalry ;_;
It's only really efficient if you have a lot of it, or else they just get surrounded and slaughtered before the rest of your army arrives. That's why I removed horses from my companions (and also because my companions have useful skills that don't work when they're wounded)
(Playing as a Nord here)
The two major problems with cavalry is that they have shoddy AI and that they get way ahead of your army meaning they'll be taking be taking the full brunt of the attack while your other soldiers aren't assisting.

The AI problem with cavalry is that they just don't follow "real battle" logic. Currently melee cavalry gets way too bogged down with "dueling" units and they become easy targets which are then mobbed.
Heavy Swadian cavalry should charge right over weaker formations kill as much as they can before retreating and charging again, flanking stronger formations. Losing momentum is losing all the advantage cavalry have. They should also be wary of pike formations and refuse to charge into them unless pressured by the player.
Swadians HC are still pretty damn powerful chargers but it would be nice to see their power come from tactics rather than their questionably strong skill/equipment.

Khergit AI should be harassing the enemy with their horse archers trying to get them to break rank and charge. Once the rank is broken/isolated enough troops they should charge in with lancers and mop up. Current AI horse archers are terrible at keeping distance and will trip over each other. They also don't seem to correctly factor in the longer spear ranges as I've often just piked a horse archer in the gut who's attempted to shoot me up close.
Great units to have outside of a Khergit army though since they can easily mob up retreating units and archers after the majority of melee units are slain.

I've tried micromanaging Khergit armies but found that it didn't work. They're especially useless if you've externally unlocked higher unit battle numbers as they just trip all over each other. I found them only useful if I was doing a bandit/scum playthrough as their speed is great for taking down villagers, caravans and escaping angry lord armies. Worst faction to both assault and defend a siege with.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3239 on: January 11, 2014, 01:36:14 pm »

Yeah, I've seen the shittiness of horse AI in a tournament. 16 units with a mix of ranged/melee weapons all on horses results in a major clusterfuck.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 310