Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 656130 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #3210 on: January 04, 2014, 01:45:59 pm »

Honestly, if I want ranged death, I'd grab Vaegirs. I only recruit Rhodoks for lines of spearmen, only that doesn't always work out.
Note: 50% of troops named "Rhodok Spearman" or "Veteran Rhodok Spearman" use swords.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3211 on: January 04, 2014, 02:07:18 pm »

well, that would explain why I can still beat them with a straight cavalry charge. why would they be called spearmen without a spear?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3212 on: January 04, 2014, 02:41:21 pm »

They are given a spear and a sword.

They just kinda like using swords instead.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3213 on: January 04, 2014, 03:21:45 pm »

Because they get a range of equipment and some genius decided they should get swords in that range.

I think there are mods in Floris that force spear-use.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3214 on: January 04, 2014, 03:46:28 pm »

Honestly, if I want ranged death, I'd grab Vaegirs. I only recruit Rhodoks for lines of spearmen, only that doesn't always work out.
Note: 50% of troops named "Rhodok Spearman" or "Veteran Rhodok Spearman" use swords.

Top grade Vaegirs are better for short term and quick death dealing.  The Rhodoks always do decent damage if they could land a hit.
During sieges, Rhodoks bend down while reloading, which allows em to dodge attacks and for other archers behind to shoot, depending on the angle.

At least that is how I see it.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3215 on: January 04, 2014, 04:52:07 pm »

They're not the best units by any measure, but I always liked the sword sisters for their versatility. 

There are faster horses, but there are no faster horses with heavily armored units.  They come with good ranged weapons, their skills are fair, their price isnt high.

There are specialized units that are better than them at everything they do, but if you want fast / heavy cav they are the most flexible units you can get.

It takes a bit of work to raise them up though, if you're playing stock you need to train them up from rescued slaves.

I was always a Vaegir fan, they have heavy units that are nearly as good as Swadia and better archers.  And their name starts with a 'V' so that's a bonus.

Since Warband came out, I tend to like the desert faction a bit more, but it feels a little cheaty.  Sort of like playing the Seleucid in Rome TW feels cheaty, which is to say not cheaty enough that it ever stopped me from doing it.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3216 on: January 04, 2014, 05:02:45 pm »

What horse-type do people like using? Warhorses? Coursers? What do you look for, speed or survivability (health, armour)?
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3217 on: January 04, 2014, 05:04:53 pm »

What horse-type do people like using? Warhorses? Coursers? What do you look for, speed or survivability (health, armour)?

Coursers, simply because they're easier to get.

E: Also, a neat feature: if you got a crippled horse and a party member with medical skills, you can keep him for a couple of days in your inventory and he gets healed back to the tagless variant (so if you had a Champion Courser, it heals back to just Courser).
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 05:06:27 pm by scrdest »
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3218 on: January 04, 2014, 05:10:05 pm »

So presumably you could get horses on the cheap for your companions if you just buy the lame versions and let them heal up?

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3219 on: January 04, 2014, 05:12:21 pm »

Wait but.. Isn't a champion courser better then the tagless version?

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3220 on: January 04, 2014, 05:13:13 pm »

and they are fast, which is always a plus. especially if your territory is on steppe, and you need to hunt down steppe bandits running all around the battleground, not injuring your men, but taking an extremely long time to be actually reached and killed.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3221 on: January 04, 2014, 05:14:30 pm »

Wait but.. Isn't a champion courser better then the tagless version?

Yes, but we're talking a champion courser that's crippled.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3222 on: January 04, 2014, 05:21:40 pm »

Ah so it started as a Crippled Champion Courser.  I was thinking it started as a Champion Courser and ended as a Courser.

serephe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3223 on: January 04, 2014, 05:22:56 pm »

A horse training skill would be nice.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3224 on: January 04, 2014, 05:52:47 pm »

Ah so it started as a Crippled Champion Courser.  I was thinking it started as a Champion Courser and ended as a Courser.

It started as Champion Courser, got crippled (Lame/Swaybacked) due to being knocked out in a battle, then healed back to Courser.
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 310