Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 656134 times)

Beneviento

• Bay Watcher
  • Rocks and Blocks
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #3195 on: January 04, 2014, 12:33:46 am »

Thanks for your answers. I tried helping out a village, then recruiting and it seems to work, though it seems like I can only get the higher tier troops via asking the village elder if there are any recruits.
And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the Assaulted Lanterns Magma Artillery' - King Id I of the Assaulted Lanterns

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3196 on: January 04, 2014, 01:56:05 am »

Perisno or Pendor?

Eh? Who are you asking?

I played Perisno briefly and I was instantly annoyed that I had to dodge 36 different factions on the map the second I walked out of the first town. It also took a really long time to load, but maybe that was just a one time thing.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3197 on: January 04, 2014, 02:20:01 am »

Perisno or Pendor?

Eh? Who are you asking?

I played Perisno briefly and I was instantly annoyed that I had to dodge 36 different factions on the map the second I walked out of the first town. It also took a really long time to load, but maybe that was just a one time thing.
I'm certain the 36 factions and long load time are related.  M&B doesn't like large maps, which one tends to see with large number of factions.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #3198 on: January 04, 2014, 04:22:30 am »

I think a good deal of those don't own land- they're like searaiders, except they have horses, top-tier gear and are well above (level-wise) any equivalent faction troops. Ok, fine, that's only some of them. But still.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3199 on: January 04, 2014, 04:46:41 am »

Jumping also might keep you from hitting the horse and landing fully on the rider.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3200 on: January 04, 2014, 11:43:44 am »

do you have any advice on castle/town assaults? I fought against swadia recently, and despite the lack of enemy armies on the field, assaulting a castle defended by 50 sharpshooters and 50 knights leads to absolute blood baths. in one case, there were enough firing positions to allow at least 20 sharpshooters to fire, and I had to use a siege tower, which means 6 of my soldiers were always exposed. And knights form a nearly impossible to break shield wall.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3201 on: January 04, 2014, 11:50:14 am »

Swadia is best faction.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3202 on: January 04, 2014, 12:03:33 pm »

I noticed. before that, I only assaulted khergit fortresses, and my own army was amde of swadian soldiers. I cut through them like they were butter. climb ladder, then murder, they had no chance. Now however, assaulting swadia with khergit troops... with castles, I guess i can just siege them for 30 days if I have to, but towns will always lead to losing great numbers. Thankfully I have a surgeon. Luckily, khergit soldiers are very easy to train.

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3203 on: January 04, 2014, 12:07:24 pm »

Don't use Khergits in a siege. Period.

In my book, the Nord infantry line and the Rhodok Crossbowman line is absolutely the way to go during sieges. The issue with what you're doing is simply that the cavalry oriented Khergits are naturally absolute crap in a siege. As such, simply don't use them and incorporate more Huscarls and Sharpshooters and you'll start seeing a massive drop in casualties.
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3204 on: January 04, 2014, 12:15:08 pm »

and the problem with what you are proposing is that all my holdings are in khergit lands, and both rhodoks and nords are quite far to provide a regular supply of soldiers. I use khergits because they are the only soldiers I can mass produce right now. I guess I could try recruiting from vaegirs, which are close, but I don't want to rely too much on holdings I don't control.

However, whenever I siege I always bring a good number of mercenrary crossbowmen and hired blades. Not as good as knights and sharpshooters, but better than lancers.

I found that bringing an heavy crossbow helps immensely however. allows me to kill enemy crossbowmen while my soldiers fight. Then my current strategy is to run toward the enemy shield wall, jump past it, and force them to either break the line or suffer crossbow fire from behind. It is actually very effective, but it also is stupidly dangerous.

edit: playing warband

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3205 on: January 04, 2014, 12:22:42 pm »

Khergits are made for skirmishing, harrasment and the occasional light cavalry charge. They're all about horses. Sieges disallow horses. Do the math.

That would be Swadia's disadvantage as well, but the difference is that Swadia focuses on heavy cavalry and has a heavy infantry upgrade line, so even de-horsed they still are tanks, just with less mobility.

Rhodoks are natural born siege defenders and decent attackers being all-infantry and a natural counter to Swadia with their polearms and godly crossbows, but they have disadvantage in the field. Nords are similar, except with one-handers and meh bowmen, so they have a slightly inverted advantages on the defense/offense and field/siege chart.

Does anybody here understand Sarranids? I never really had an opportunity to play as them, since my vanilla factions experience is mostly thanks to Solid & Shade for M&B, which didn't have them, and then I jumped straight into mods.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3206 on: January 04, 2014, 12:25:18 pm »

Sarranids are the balanced faction. Good at everything. They also get some super scary heavy knights.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3207 on: January 04, 2014, 12:30:47 pm »

-snip-

If you're playing Warband you can always recruit the Sarranid troops. Obviously they're better than Khergits and mercenaries in a seige, and their high-teir infantry have maces which are good against armoured knights. Alternatively you can fight fire with fire and hire some Swadian troops of your own (unless I'm forgetting something and you can't do it for whatever reason).

Does anybody here understand Sarranids? I never really had an opportunity to play as them, since my vanilla factions experience is mostly thanks to Solid & Shade for M&B, which didn't have them, and then I jumped straight into mods.

I find them to be a bit like the Vaegirs, in that their troops are kinda good at everything but don't really stand out too much. They have good heavy calvary, comparable to the Swadians in a pinch and slightly cheaper, and their archers are pretty good too. Their high-teir infantry also wields maces, so they have their uses (since they always deal blunt damage). Overall they don't break the Trinity of Nord Huscarls/Rhodok Sharpshooters/Swadian Knights, but they aren't completely useless either.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3208 on: January 04, 2014, 12:36:02 pm »

Actually, Vaegirs are the archery gods. They have the best bowmen of all factions, both equipment- and skill-wise.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3209 on: January 04, 2014, 01:26:36 pm »

Actually, Vaegirs are the archery gods. They have the best bowmen of all factions, both equipment- and skill-wise.

Yes, but everybody always tells you to go for Rhodok crossbowmen so their ranged capabilities aren't comparatively amazing. Actually, that's something I should probably test. With power-draw the Vaegir sharpshooters might be better than Rhodok sharpshooters, due to their faster fire-rate.
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 310