Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 656229 times)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #3150 on: December 31, 2013, 11:56:29 am »

40 weeks is longer than most of your games? isn't that less than an in game year? how far can you get in that time? I am more than a year in, and I still only have a town and a village to my name.

besides, I think the point is that you have less risk of overspending due to mismanagement and forgetfulness. if your weekly balance is even, then even if you spend your last coins on something without noticing, you are not going bankrupt.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #3151 on: December 31, 2013, 12:21:39 pm »

Yar, my longest playthrough was my first at 421 days, at which point I'd conquered 90% of the nords & 80% of the vaegirs. Since then I must've played 20+ characters, the oldest of which lasted ~160 days before I moved on.

Woo easy mode!

Btw, did anyone else run into a bug in fire&sword where a ruler gets captured & (I posit) carried off the map by bandits? Way back when I was playing that, was in the middle of a quest when the leader of a faction disappeared. No one knew where he was, the quest provided no information, & after painstakingly ctrl+t & teleporting around the map inspecting all the bands & all the prisons wasn't able to find him. Gone forever- figure his host got defeated, and since escaped lords become a 1-man fast-moving band I think he managed to run into some bandits & get caught.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 12:28:55 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3152 on: December 31, 2013, 12:32:26 pm »

Give him a few weeks to find his way back?  Or raise a new monarch.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3153 on: December 31, 2013, 03:38:50 pm »

Euch, but it takes 20-40 weeks from the time of purchase before you start making a profit on those. Talk about long term, isn't mercenary work 6-8 weeks?

It's more about the fact that bandits and opposing lords can't take money that you've put into an enterprise.  And in native, you just can't make a profit with mercenary work.  Now, if you're talking Pendor, then go merc all the way!

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3154 on: December 31, 2013, 03:42:15 pm »

Euch, but it takes 20-40 weeks from the time of purchase before you start making a profit on those. Talk about long term, isn't mercenary work 6-8 weeks?

It's more about the fact that bandits and opposing lords can't take money that you've put into an enterprise.  And in native, you just can't make a profit with mercenary work.  Now, if you're talking Pendor, then go merc all the way!

Well, no, not exactly. Although I find it bullshit that your minimal pay is not your weekly upkeep, the way you DO make money as a merc is good ol' rape and plunder. Since the faction relations reset once you enter and leave service, you can piss the faction off as much as you want with your looty hijinks, then be absolved because you were just following *cough* *cough* orders.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #3155 on: December 31, 2013, 05:25:07 pm »

I think I waited around for ~60 days to see if he'd come back once, no dice there either. He was needed for either 'the deluge' or 'false dmitriy'- can you even replace them? (what is this 'raising a new monarch' for that matter)
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3156 on: December 31, 2013, 07:33:51 pm »

I think I waited around for ~60 days to see if he'd come back once, no dice there either. He was needed for either 'the deluge' or 'false dmitriy'- can you even replace them? (what is this 'raising a new monarch' for that matter)
In native and a few of the other mods, usually there is a character running around who has casus belli to rule a given kingdom.  You can take up the person's banner and fight a total war versus the given kingdom in order to usurp the throne and give it back to its rightful ruler.  Basically, in all but name, you become the ruler and marshal in this person's steed, until this war for the throne is finished.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3157 on: December 31, 2013, 08:39:31 pm »

In native and a few of the other mods, usually there is a character running around who has casus belli to rule a given kingdom.  You can take up the person's banner and fight a total war versus the given kingdom in order to usurp the throne and give it back to its rightful ruler.  Basically, in all but name, you become the ruler and marshal in this person's steed, until this war for the throne is finished.

I think he's talking about With Fire and Sword and the built-in quest system.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3158 on: December 31, 2013, 08:46:34 pm »

I think he's talking about With Fire and Sword and the built-in quest system.
Oh right, someone did mention they were playing that.  I don't know anything about Fire and Sword.  It just seems like a paid for mod that doesn't add much.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3159 on: December 31, 2013, 09:12:25 pm »

I got it, but I kinda regret it. It really is just an official mod, and I feel the world just isn't as fleshed out as Warband. Not to mention there are a vast amount of mods that already include guns.

Beneviento

• Bay Watcher
  • Rocks and Blocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3160 on: December 31, 2013, 09:17:00 pm »

Hi everybody. I started playing Brytenwalda a week or so ago, and it's great! The problem I'm having is that I don't know how to get good faction troops, as the peasants I hired tended to die, so my strategy was to trade until I could afford about 20 heavy mercenary infantry (milites/professional mercenaries), then sign up as a mercenary for a faction, then become a vassal when the ruler liked me enough. I've been told that even in Native you could get better troops from villages by doing quests to get them to like you, but I've never bothered with that. Is it true?
And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the Assaulted Lanterns Magma Artillery' - King Id I of the Assaulted Lanterns

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3161 on: December 31, 2013, 09:17:50 pm »

@ Cheedows: I like it because there's a fair amount of new content with cities, forts and the various weapons. Though I did modify a setting to make grenades restock after using them in battle. I'm not spending several thousand coins on 3 grenades every time I want to blow something up... which is often.

Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3162 on: December 31, 2013, 09:30:31 pm »

I got it, but I kinda regret it. It really is just an official mod, and I feel the world just isn't as fleshed out as Warband. Not to mention there are a vast amount of mods that already include guns.

I liked the mod... Mostly because I read the books and knew who all the characters were. I should probably load up the game again to see if I can actually finish one of the main quests. I usually got to a certain point where I couldn't advance due to external factors (ie. trying to lead a rebellion while knowing only two guys).

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3163 on: December 31, 2013, 09:34:45 pm »

Hi everybody. I started playing Brytenwalda a week or so ago, and it's great! The problem I'm having is that I don't know how to get good faction troops, as the peasants I hired tended to die, so my strategy was to trade until I could afford about 20 heavy mercenary infantry (milites/professional mercenaries), then sign up as a mercenary for a faction, then become a vassal when the ruler liked me enough. I've been told that even in Native you could get better troops from villages by doing quests to get them to like you, but I've never bothered with that. Is it true?

Yeah, you can get IIRC up to third upgrade that way. It's not consistent, mind you, sometimes you get a horde of standard pushover rank-swellers.

I liked the mod... Mostly because I read the books and knew who all the characters were. I should probably load up the game again to see if I can actually finish one of the main quests. I usually got to a certain point where I couldn't advance due to external factors (ie. trying to lead a rebellion while knowing only two guys).

There isn't really that much book-specific dudes, most are simply XVII-th century historical figures. Also, I've been forced to read Deluge in school. Ever since then I make a beeline for Sweden. (With the most impressive playthough thus far ending with Poland being reduced to Krakow and Sweden beating Crimeans back to just Crimean Peninsula proper.)
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3164 on: December 31, 2013, 09:42:16 pm »

There isn't really that much book-specific dudes, most are simply XVII-th century historical figures. Also, I've been forced to read Deluge in school. Ever since then I make a beeline for Sweden. (With the most impressive playthough thus far ending with Poland being reduced to Krakow and Sweden beating Crimeans back to just Crimean Peninsula proper.)

I've seen everybody's favourite drunkard in the taverns several times, and I'm pretty sure that Colonel Woliveforgottenhowtospelleveryonesnames is a general. Though unless you're following the Polish/Commonwealth storyline I doubt that you'd see any of those people.

Also, definitely don't blame you for joining Sweden. I do like me some Hussars though.
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 310