Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 310

Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 657464 times)

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #2925 on: April 22, 2013, 04:18:57 am »

I've recently become re-engaged into Warband with the Floris mod, and feel like it's at approximately the same point it was from a year or two ago. Played a bit of that, and Sword of Damocles, which makes the game extremely huge, and lags me more than a little when using Ctrl+Space to fast travel, even with a somewhat beefy rig.

I played a bit of the original Mount and Blade with the Solid and Shade mod, and liked the concept a lot, but are there any mods like it for Warband? Meaning, general horror/necromancy mod. I feel like I'm missing out on a lot of the general improvements when I play the original, and the mod, while it appears to be still in development (with the last update being September 2012), goes slowly with its progress, and the creator appears to have no intention to port it for the time being.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2926 on: April 22, 2013, 06:08:38 am »

I've recently become re-engaged into Warband with the Floris mod, and feel like it's at approximately the same point it was from a year or two ago. Played a bit of that, and Sword of Damocles, which makes the game extremely huge, and lags me more than a little when using Ctrl+Space to fast travel, even with a somewhat beefy rig.

I played a bit of the original Mount and Blade with the Solid and Shade mod, and liked the concept a lot, but are there any mods like it for Warband? Meaning, general horror/necromancy mod. I feel like I'm missing out on a lot of the general improvements when I play the original, and the mod, while it appears to be still in development (with the last update being September 2012), goes slowly with its progress, and the creator appears to have no intention to port it for the time being.

Other than S&S, no. However, it's trivial to port most mods to Warband using a very very simple trick, although the method is rather quick and dirty, resulting in minor annoyances (e.g. you get error notifications due to Warband's UI backwards compatibility being imperfect, but that's only a couple of lines of code showing along the usual notifications, and weird guard/lord poses in castle scenes and such - they use the polearm-wielding pose).

Porting S&S with that method worked for me without any major issues (there were reports of the door for Rasputin's heart not being openable, but there's that.).

However, to do that, you need to have both M&B and Warband, unless some nice personPIRATE ARR! happens to send you literally only TWO FILES that are missing from Warband that are needed to make it work. PM me for details if you want.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Frutjus

• Escaped Lunatic
  • And magma was created, and the dorfs were happy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2927 on: June 07, 2013, 03:02:05 am »

Only faction troops can be tier 6, while mercs are up to tier 5

Who do these games hate mercenary troops? I am aware that their major advantage is that they don't suffer morale penalty...

I'd love to capture a bandit, woo him to my side, then train him until he turns into a tier 6 bandit type class.

I used to Morgh's Tool to give bandits tier 3 advancement options; Steppes Bandits become Horsemen, Forest Bandits become Footman/Crossbowmen, etc. There's gold in them brigands!

Only faction troops can be tier 6, while mercs are up to tier 5

Who do these games hate mercenary troops? I am aware that their major advantage is that they don't suffer morale penalty...

I'd love to capture a bandit, woo him to my side, then train him until he turns into a tier 6 bandit type class.
Much easier to randomly pick up top tier mercs at taverns I wager... but, I recall that mercs also cost more upkeep then faction troops...  or maybe it was just the cavalry.  Meh.
It really doesn't matter once you get yourself and a bunch of companions high enough level with training.  Levels breeze upwards.

Spoiler: /rant (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The best counter for Swadian cavalry, in my opinion, would be either a line of high-level Rhodoks or simply more Swadian cavalry. So long as you hold formation (when using infantry) at the top of a hill, you're fairly well protected as the cavalry can't charge uphill. If you have some knights of your own, you can take advantage of the AI's desire to move its troops slowly and in formation and attack the enemy cavalry before they charge.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2928 on: June 07, 2013, 09:02:26 am »

Just read some very interesting news, a preview of the chapter 2 of Light&Darkness (for me the best and most unique mod for Warband) :
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,270071.0.html

If you never played Light&Darkness, do yourself a favour and go download it, there's no other mods like it.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2929 on: June 07, 2013, 09:11:36 pm »

Just read some very interesting news, a preview of the chapter 2 of Light&Darkness (for me the best and most unique mod for Warband) :
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,270071.0.html

If you never played Light&Darkness, do yourself a favour and go download it, there's no other mods like it.
Would you say that it is similar to Prophesy of Pendor in either terms of content or resource (CPU, graphics) demand?
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2930 on: June 08, 2013, 12:06:09 am »

In term of system ressources, i think Pendor is more demanding than Light&Darkness, but in the same time the ressources devoured by the engine are very linked to the battle size used, even if you have a "not that good" system, with lowering the battle size you can have the mod very playable.

Now in term of content and gameplay, L&D is very different than Pendor, while in Pendor the story and the majority of the events are only going through the dialogues you read from the various people in the taverns (with the new order quests, there's an actual event that is really happening at some point, not only in text) and the rest of the game is not that much different from what you have in Native (you're merc, then vassal, then try to make either your king conquer the map or you're going to rebel and try to conquer it yourself).
In Light&Darkness the story from the mod is actually happening to your character through many quests, and events happening, you don't only read about those, they actually happen in gameplay and most of the time your character is going in.

Even if you have played a lot of mods in Warband, i really suggest to get Light&Darkness, it's truly unique in the Warband mod roster.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 12:08:17 am by Robsoie »

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2931 on: June 08, 2013, 01:03:26 am »

In term of system ressources, i think Pendor is more demanding than Light&Darkness, but in the same time the ressources devoured by the engine are very linked to the battle size used, even if you have a "not that good" system, with lowering the battle size you can have the mod very playable.

Now in term of content and gameplay, L&D is very different than Pendor, while in Pendor the story and the majority of the events are only going through the dialogues you read from the various people in the taverns (with the new order quests, there's an actual event that is really happening at some point, not only in text) and the rest of the game is not that much different from what you have in Native (you're merc, then vassal, then try to make either your king conquer the map or you're going to rebel and try to conquer it yourself).
In Light&Darkness the story from the mod is actually happening to your character through many quests, and events happening, you don't only read about those, they actually happen in gameplay and most of the time your character is going in.

Even if you have played a lot of mods in Warband, i really suggest to get Light&Darkness, it's truly unique in the Warband mod roster.

I will certainly  have to give it a try, then!

Here is hoping that whatever nasties L&D has in store aren't as earth-shakingly ball-breaking as Eyegrim the Devourer.  :'(

“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2932 on: June 08, 2013, 01:08:04 am »

WHEN WILL THEY RELEASE SOME DAMN INFO ON M&B 2?!!!?!?!
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2933 on: June 08, 2013, 10:56:21 am »

I imagine when they feel like releasing info.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2934 on: June 21, 2013, 11:00:05 pm »

A minor bit of a bump, but I just thought I would share what's going on  in my latest game.

I was trekking across the map in an attempt to recruit at a village of each nation. I finally succeeded, so I set my waypoint over near Wercheg so I could kill some sea raiders. On the way there, I carelessly got caught by a group of... whatever the things are that you'll see in a moment.

Imagine my surprise when I see this (yes, a link - big pic and I don't want to waste your bandwidth) after winning the battle.

I'm using Vexed Native, which does increase the spawn rate of raiders. It doesn't increase them quite this high, though.

I'll come back later and let you all know how many, if any, of my troops survive this.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2935 on: June 22, 2013, 03:27:01 am »

I get the feeling you are going to spend a lot of your time as a prisoner.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2936 on: June 22, 2013, 03:28:57 am »

I can't read the number. Seems to be very high, though.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2937 on: June 22, 2013, 03:48:53 am »

I remember in Floris bandits would gang up into large groups, with leaders and all. Those fights are near impossible to win.

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2938 on: June 22, 2013, 04:11:42 am »

Brytenwalda, best mod there ever was.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2939 on: June 22, 2013, 06:47:57 am »

I can't read the number. Seems to be very high, though.

Neither could I. It's the superposition of several numbers - there are something like 6-8 large groups of enemies on top of each other.

[Post-battle edit]

Well, that was anticlimactic. I got taken out in the first or second battle due to me forgetting how to spear, so the majority of the fights were decided by random die rolls.

I handily beat all of them and they generally had enough prisoners to replace those that I lost due to RNG stupidity.

The fights took so long that I healed up enough to actually participate in the last battle, though I was so close to getting wounded again that I just hung back and let my army do all the work. It was the largest battle, but we took no losses.

The largest group I fought had 22 in it. The group with 46 in it ran away after I trounced everything that came before it.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 07:14:46 am by Mephisto »
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 310